My 396XT and the GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
I was surprised when I was getting ready for my daily trip with my 396xt and the GPS didn't register with the scanner. Well I got back to the house and tried it with my 996XT and it worked by using the serial port on the back on the 996xt. However when I tried to connect to the front it was a no go.

My question is this.... Could the problem be with the Null Connector or with the GPS accessory cable. Is there any way to test either or both of these pieces? I am going to just assume that the Null connector couldn't ever go bad however the accessory cable could have a broken wire somewhere. I was just thinking if these could be tested then why not test them. But then the other side of me says "what the hell it's only $30.00 for both pieces and that is shipping included. Not bad but...... Any ideas?

smithken

Premium Subscriber
If the 996xt is like the 996t then GPS doesn't work on the front port, this is by design.

frazpo

I was surprised when I was getting ready for my daily trip with my 396xt and the GPS didn't register with the scanner. Well I got back to the house and tried it with my 996XT and it worked by using the serial port on the back on the 996xt. However when I tried to connect to the front it was a no go.

My question is this.... Could the problem be with the Null Connector or with the GPS accessory cable. Is there any way to test either or both of these pieces? I am going to just assume that the Null connector couldn't ever go bad however the accessory cable could have a broken wire somewhere. I was just thinking if these could be tested then why not test them. But then the other side of me says "what the hell it's only $30.00 for both pieces and that is shipping included. Not bad but...... Any ideas?

Its been a while since I have messed with mine. I do not remember which you need, a serial or null?
Might be your issue.
The Difference Between a Null Modem and Straight Through Serial Cable - National Instruments

Your settings are good right? 9600 max right?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The front port is also where you'd connect the RH-96 remote head.

As previously noted, the manufacturer's recommendations are to use the rear port for GPS connection.

MobileConnectingAGPSReceiver < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

On the 396XT situation: Presuming no scanner settings have been changed, your can use the data cable for programming purposes, and the GPS works on other scanners, the only thing left is that null modem adapter going bad. I don't know of any way to check those - fortunately they aren't too costly to replace.

In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
The front port is also where you'd connect the RH-96 remote head.

As previously noted, the manufacturer's recommendations are to use the rear port for GPS connection.

MobileConnectingAGPSReceiver < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

On the 396XT situation: Presuming no scanner settings have been changed, your can use the data cable for programming purposes, and the GPS works on other scanners, the only thing left is that null modem adapter going bad. I don't know of any way to check those - fortunately they aren't too costly to replace.

Thanks, thats exactly where I am going to start..... The null modem adapter. Just ordered one for less than 5 bucks. I can't check the data cable because I don't have a computer with a 9 pin serial port. So I'll go cheap first and then if it still doesn't want to work for me I'll have to order the GPS accessory cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.