My 436 is asking for date, time etc every time I power it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawman210

What happened to it? I am shutting it down properly

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JamesO

I have had the batteries out of my 436HP and the radio was not connected to external power or used for close to a week without a problem with the clock prompt.

lawman210

Hmmm. I put my on the charger. Didn't think that would be an issue with batteries installed but I guess it is

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Hmmm. I put my on the charger. Didn't think that would be an issue with batteries installed but I guess it is

Yep. It needs to be plugged in and powered on for the internal clock battery to charge.
Tonight, when you get home, plug it in, power it on and just leave it on overnight (you can turn the volume down to 0 when you want to sleep). In the morning it should be charged enough to not bug you so long as you get in the habit of plugging it in and leaving it on like this at least a couple times a month.

I'm not a huge fan of this part of the 436's design either. I'm lucky enough to have a job where I can plug the scanner into the PC and let the USB port power the thing all day while I'm listening at work, so my scanner isn't going to bug me about the date anytime soon, but not everyone is so lucky. A cool mod might be to rig up a solar cell somewhere on the radio that can be used to charge these internal batteries. Most rooms have enough ambient light to power a solar cell and if it had employed one of these instead we'd never have to worry about setting the battery again.

Of course, if it did have solar power for the clock battery, no doubt some yutz would come along to complain that the scanner itself is not solar powered. :roll: There's just no winning with some folks....

-AZ

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I'm still completely baffled how my wristwatch with a MECHANICAL movement can run off a tiny little battery for over a year, yet one must keep these new scanners "topped off" so the RTC doesn't die in a week........

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I'm still completely baffled how my wristwatch with a MECHANICAL movement can run off a tiny little battery for over a year, yet one must keep these new scanners "topped off" so the RTC doesn't die in a week........

Yep and it's not just Uniden. On the PSR-800 if the batteries are out (or depleted) for more than a minute or so you have to reset the time/date.

Status
Not open for further replies.