my 536 is stuck rebooting at boot up

Ubbe

The WiFi dongle use a USB port on the scanner and the connection to the PC are also a USB. Both seem to interact in some way that seems very strange, although both USB ports could have internal connections to the same dual port interface IC.

What was the last thing you did before the 536 refused to boot? It you did nothing then it might be a hardware failure but if you did some changes in configuration or downloaded a new database or programming then it could be a software problem.

As a last resort download this one version older firmware and put in the firmware folder of the SD card and see if it tries to load it, both with and without the WiFi dongle connected. But if your scanner are a 2022 model then don't use it as that could have a new hardware that are not compatible.

/Ubbe

sparkydude

As I had the same experience once befor and posted this :

536 Won't Boot up ...
Well, not anymore. The problem arose out of nowhere. Turned it on one day and while booting up it up got stuck on the last favorite list. Wouldn't complete boot up.
Tried 3 different cards... same problem. Even tried the cards in another 536 and they booted fine .
Don't know what made me do it, but I pluged in the wi-fi dongle and it booted up just fine.
Thought it was back up and running, so I unpluged the dongle and it worked fine for a few days.
Today started acting up again ...wouldn't complete boot up. I couldn't remember what I did the last time so switching cards, reformating, etc ....no sucess. Then it dawned on me.....the wi fi dongle.
Pluged it in and boot completed and back up and running. Just passing on my experience. No explanations .

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
As I had the same experience once befor and posted this :

536 Won't Boot up ...
Well, not anymore. The problem arose out of nowhere. Turned it on one day and while booting up it up got stuck on the last favorite list. Wouldn't complete boot up.
Tried 3 different cards... same problem. Even tried the cards in another 536 and they booted fine .
Don't know what made me do it, but I pluged in the wi-fi dongle and it booted up just fine.
Thought it was back up and running, so I unpluged the dongle and it worked fine for a few days.
Today started acting up again ...wouldn't complete boot up. I couldn't remember what I did the last time so switching cards, reformating, etc ....no sucess. Then it dawned on me.....the wi fi dongle.
Pluged it in and boot completed and back up and running. Just passing on my experience. No explanations .
That proves one of my theories. Dirty contacts with the internal sd holder/tray. Not sure if there is a contact cleaner in a can form you can blast into the slot. With the multiple passing of cards in the scanner loosened up the dirt or just oxidized. Am I correct that the sd card is inserted it clicks?

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
The WiFi dongle use a USB port on the scanner and the connection to the PC are also a USB. Both seem to interact in some way that seems very strange, although both USB ports could have internal connections to the same dual port interface IC.

What was the last thing you did before the 536 refused to boot? It you did nothing then it might be a hardware failure but if you did some changes in configuration or downloaded a new database or programming then it could be a software problem.

As a last resort download this one version older firmware and put in the firmware folder of the SD card and see if it tries to load it, both with and without the WiFi dongle connected. But if your scanner are a 2022 model then don't use it as that could have a new hardware that are not compatible.

/Ubbe
Do you have the SDS100 and if so back up firmware for it?

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
I only have old SDS100E files but I'm sure someone else will have some backups on their hard drives.

/Ubbe
Thank You. It would brick my scanner if used yours.
BTW I am guessing you cannot get internal parts for the SDS100. I am looking to find the volume part (Encoder), not the plastic knob.

Ubbe

Thank You. It would brick my scanner if used yours.BTW I am guessing you cannot get internal parts for the SDS100. I am looking to find the volume part (Encoder), not the plastic knob.
It's impossible to brick it as it always checks that the firmware are for the correct model before it tries to use it. But if some vital frequency dependent hardware have been replaced with another type then trying to use an older firmware might have consequences.

If that encoder are from the same source as older scanners like the 536 then it has some sort of coating that sometimes makes it have an erratic connection after a while. I used a contact cleaner on my 536 encoder and has worked fine for 3-4 years now.

/Ubbe

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
It's impossible to brick it as it always checks that the firmware are for the correct model before it tries to use it. But if some vital frequency dependent hardware have been replaced with another type then trying to use an older firmware might have consequences.

If that encoder are from the same source as older scanners like the 536 then it has some sort of coating that sometimes makes it have an erratic connection after a while. I used a contact cleaner on my 536 encoder and has worked fine for 3-4 years now.

/Ubbe
The problem I am having with it is: It likes to double or triple-click without being touched, just a slight touch on the body of the scanner. It had a fall once then the shaft got slightly bent then 6-7 months later the present problem happened. I had fixed since the scanner's mini USB port is out of warranty. The fall happened while it was charging. The encoder has two functions it doubles as the "E" button and volume. Not sure if it is the same as the 536HP volume control.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
The problem I am having with it is: It likes to double or triple-click without being touched, just a slight touch on the body of the scanner. It had a fall once then the shaft got slightly bent then 6-7 months later the present problem happened. I had fixed since the scanner's mini USB port is out of warranty. The fall happened while it was charging. The encoder has two functions it doubles as the "E" button and volume. Not sure if it is the same as the 536HP volume control.

Sorry...thought you were the original poster...cancel that.

bep

Premium Subscriber
Thank you everyone. My BCD536 started acting up as the OP scanner was. It had been running 24/7 for years and not set to record. Then last week it went down. Followed all the good advise here, and nothing worked except the wifi dongle (that I have never used). Plugged it in and back in business.

Again thank you all.