my 536 is stuck rebooting at boot up

qp2trz

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone my 536 is stuck rebooting at boot up.
It gets past the first welcome screen and stops at 'processing'.
As in trying to prepare a blank formatted SD card.
I changed the SD card several times to no avail.
Any ideas before I send it in?

73 Joey VA3TTC

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone my 536 is stuck rebooting at boot up.
It gets past the first welcome screen and stops at 'processing'.
As in trying to prepare a blank formatted SD card.
I changed the SD card several times to no avail.
Any ideas before I send it in?

73 Joey VA3TTC
Have you formatted the card and then used the "clear user data" function in Sentinel?

qp2trz

Premium Subscriber
the box doesn't stay awake long enough for sentinel to attach to it.
the computer bing bongs that the usb is connected just in time for the scanner to turn off and on again.
i'll try the 'clear user data' right after i hear the bing bong again. thanks for the advice.
will post back.

Joey

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Before sending it in, I would exercise all of the keys to make sure they are not stuck and causing it to go into one of the special modes. There are several key combinations that do special things, and hopefully it's simply thinking that's what you want it to do. Try pressing each one, making holding down and twisting a little, just to make sure they are not sticking.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
the computer bing bongs that the usb is connected just in time for the scanner to turn off and on again.
i'll try the 'clear user data' right after i hear the bing bong again. thanks for the advice.
will post back.

Joey
connect the scanner to the computer while the scanner is off. After the cable is connected to the scanner and the computer, then turn the scanner on. See if it goes right into mass storage mode and stays on.

qp2trz

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the advice, scanner doesn't make it to mass storage mode.
Read a thread that the scanner might be looking for its dongle.
Will try that next. Any help greatly appreciated.

Joey

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the advice, scanner doesn't make it to mass storage mode.
Even if you turn the scanner on after connecting it to the computer? It still shuts down then?

sallen07

Premium Subscriber

Does your PC have an sdcard reader? If not, I would consider getting one. You can format the card and use Sentinal to "clear user data" with it in the card reader, then put it into the scanner. Worth a try before you send it to get repaired.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Sometimes, when the scanner would not connect, I have had better luck if I connect the scanner and put it into USB Mass Storage before starting Sentinel.

qp2trz

Premium Subscriber
Does your PC have an sdcard reader? If not, I would consider getting one. You can format the card and use Sentinal to "clear user data" with it in the card reader, then put it into the scanner. Worth a try before you send it to get repaired.
Completed. No luck either. Mounted
Sometimes, when the scanner would not connect, I have had better luck if I connect the scanner and put it into USB Mass Storage before starting Sentinel.
Thank you. Scanner reboots so fast sentinel doesn't see it.
will post back.

Joey
No luck.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thank you. Scanner reboots so fast sentinel doesn't see it.
-
It's not looking too good that it's something simple at this point, but one last thing you might try....

With the scanner off, remove the SD card, and leave it out. Then turn on the scanner without the card in it. Does the behavior change at all? Do you get a message about an SD card error?

qp2trz

Premium Subscriber
Hello again everyone.

Firstly may I take this time to thank everyone for their insight and advice.
Here is my progress so far.
I formatted the SD card locally in the computer's card reader and performed a 'clear user data'.
The looped rebooting behaviour continued.
I've plugged in the dongle and now the scanner recognizes sentinel and accepts programming and changes to same.
HOWEVER, of course there's a however, the radio behaves like its scanning but does not receive anything from the radio.
I've confirmed this by using the WX Scan function looking for my local weatheradio transmitter.
The scanner does not receive or stop on any of them.
I've switched antennaes with no change.
I've also performed a 'clear user data' and 'restore' with no change.
HOWEVER, yes another however, when I disconnect the dongle from the radio it returns to its looping rebooting behaviour.
The only thing I haven't tried is to observe what happens when the SD card is removed and the radio turned on.
I think I'll take a nap now and when I wake up I'll bet I'm in Kansas.

73 Joey VA3TTC

qp2trz

Premium Subscriber
Before sending it in, I would exercise all of the keys to make sure they are not stuck and causing it to go into one of the special modes. There are several key combinations that do special things, and hopefully it's simply thinking that's what you want it to do. Try pressing each one, making holding down and twisting a little, just to make sure they are not sticking.

Thank you. Exercised all the keys. Not change.

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
Make sure the card is 32G or less and format it as FAT32 or it will not work. The scanner needs FAT32 card.

qp2trz

Premium Subscriber
Make sure the card is 32G or less and format it as FAT32 or it will not work. The scanner needs FAT32 card.
confirming, 4gb card reformatted to confirm FAT32. reloaded by sentinel in cardreader then installed in radio. same behaviour. 'card access error' when turning on with no card installed.
is there any way to install older firmware?

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
confirming, 4gb card reformatted to confirm FAT32. reloaded by sentinel in cardreader then installed in radio. same behaviour. 'card access error' when turning on with no card installed.

is there any way to install older firmware?

If you can find the proper files, they would have to be put on the SD card under the firmware folder via computer, then put back into the scanner. Turn on and see what happens. Just a maintenance thing to do. Clean contacts with rubbing alcahol 70% or better. Use q-tip to clean the SD card connectors before the pins dry insert into the scanner fast so that it can clean the connectors inside scanner. Another tip put micro sd card in SD adapter try, if there is one, flip the write protect switch on then off. If all else fails get another SD card. Hopefully brand new.

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Try removing the SD card, place in computer, go into Sentinel..Tools...Target Model is set to 536hp, Firmware...update Firmware. Once it's complete, place in scanner, turn on the scanner, and see if it starts updating the firmware.

I'm wondering if the target model was set to an SDS model, and the you're trying to load SDS firmware into a 536hp.