My apartment setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

khvfdff

hey firemndon,

i see you have a couple telescopic antennas for your scanners especially the bcd396t do they work well. i live in an area where the terrain isnt so great and reception sorta sucks. just wondering if you live in a similar area and how well the telescoping antennas would work.

cristisphoto

cnmsales said:
well evrything was going good till you had the MAC :)
Agree on the Crac
LOL
VERY nice collection though
Crista

Crac Pay more get less WAY Less
Buyt hey each his own just dont get it confused
cause in reality macs are usually not very in tune with A+ Etc knowledge
LOL

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Is a MAC still a MAC? With OS-X (aka; Free-BSD Unix), and now Intel CPU's on their newer models, what's left of the MAC? :confused:

I took a leave of absence from PC's when the first MACs with OS-X were introduced. I jumped too soon, as they were still having growing pains. So I quickly came back to PC's. How are they now? When Microsoft VISTA is forced upon us I might have to take another look at MAC!

scannerpro

Wow, I'am from Newport Rhode Island. I know the Portsmouth Fire Department is Digital and their on Motorola so you should be able to recieve them. Very cool, too find somebody from my area.

wilbilt

Nice collection of radios, firemndon.

I need to expand upon the two scanners I own. I never thought I would be able to listen to multiple radios, or would ever need to...little did I know...

BTW, people, it's "Mac", not "MAC".

"MAC" is an acronym for"Media Access Controller", as in "MAC Address", but you already knew that. ;)

Use what works for you. I like Macs because they run forever and aren't susceptible to the vulnerabilities that Windows machines suffer on a daily basis. The move to an Intel platform may change this, but we'll see...

I have four of them here at home, but am responsible for about 400 of them at work.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
wilbilt said:
BTW, people, it's "Mac", not "MAC".

OK, sorry Mack! :D

But seriously, instead of worrying about the name, start facing reality!

More worms may start infesting Apples!
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/6236/

Apple operating system faces increased viral attack
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35293

Apple gives you a virus on iPod, blames Microsoft
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=346

Mac OS X exploit in the wild
http://software.silicon.com/security/0,39024655,39162900,00.htm

Mac Bug Exploit Appears
http://www.informationweek.com/security/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193101227&subSection=Viruses+and+Patches

Mac OS X exploit code appears, takes advantage of vulnerabilities fixed by Apple last Friday
http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/11145/

Mac OS X threat exposure increases
http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/09/25/mac.os.x.threat.exposure/

That's just the tip of the iceberg!

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I felt it was important to bring this to the attention of Mac users. Mac's are not immune, and you should never let your guard down.

Last edited:

wilbilt

GreatLakes said:
OK, sorry Mack! :D

But seriously, instead of worrying about the name, start facing reality!
etc...

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I felt it was important to bring this to the attention of Mac users. Mac's are not immune, and you should never let your guard down.

There is no doubt that exploit attempts are increasing. The move to Intel hardware is seen by many as a huge mistake, but it seems that Apple has put all of it's eggs into the iPod basket and and shifted focus from the computing hardware.

Most of the current threats are linked to the use of a particular browser and virtually all of them require user interaction to actually run. I'm sure we will see the day when a truly autonomous and malicious bug will hit the Mac base, but we aren't there yet.

At this point, I prefer the few dozen harmless Mac bugs to the hundreds of thousands of viable threats on the Windows side. Now that it is possible to run Windows on a Mac right out of the box, I guess we can enjoy the best (and worst) of both camps on a single machine...;)

...now if there was more scanning-related software available for the Mac, I wouldn't have to keep that pathetic old Compaq around to run it...:(

Will in NorCal

cristisphoto

mkewman said:
damn straight. mac is the way to go.

what kind of antenna do you use on that there 780?

HEy whatver makes you fell better LOL
Just dont be surprised that eventually your bubble wil be burtst
and not by me OOH no
But yet reality
Truth be told NOTHING is perfect NOTHING!
but anyhows
Warm regards
Crista

Steve2003

MACs don't suck for this hobby, now with the models that contain the new intel chips you can run xp on them too. I am running pro96com on a macbook right now!

cristisphoto

Steve2003 said:
MACs don't suck for this hobby, now with the models that contain the new intel chips you can run xp on them too. I am running pro96com on a macbook right now!

Reallu Im surprised
Imean I looke around fo various software
it just seemd better to roll back to Windows 2000 Pro
and go from there
as XP well ya all know the commons on XP
and VISTa I dunno whats the specs pricing etc is yet
But hey

LIke I said f it really turn ya on
then
HEy
Anyhows
Crista

Chev_am

I run a Mac Powerbook G3, made in 1999. I don't need to worry about the new intel chips or anything!

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
firemndon said:
I am a computer tech. That's why I have a Mac.

Me, too. Macs rarely need tech support....

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
GreatLakes said:
Is a MAC still a MAC? With OS-X (aka; Free-BSD Unix), and now Intel CPU's on their newer models, what's left of the MAC? :confused:

Lots. A much better hardware spec and much more reliable. The OS is far, far more stable, too.

I took a leave of absence from PC's when the first MACs with OS-X were introduced. I jumped too soon, as they were still having growing pains. So I quickly came back to PC's. How are they now? When Microsoft VISTA is forced upon us I might have to take another look at MAC!

The more I read about Vista, it just makes me even more pleased that I left the dark side (Windoze) and went into the light (Mac). Vista is very, very scary, not to mention very, very expensive if you expect to do anything other than email and looking at pictures of your kid's Thanksgiving pageant.

I have had no trouble with my Macs, and with the Intel chipset and Parallels I can run Windows for the few (very few) programs that require it. Otherwise I can do anything and more with my Mac than I could ever do with the Windows box.

At work, on the other hand, where we're still cursed with Windows, I could not get IE to stop crashing last night, and wasn't even doing anything but surfing the local news site.

Status
Not open for further replies.