My Apartment Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
Been busy today installing my pair of Uniden UBCD 996T Scanners and remote heads in my desk. The desk is a custom desk.

Mounted the main radio units inside the cabinet next to my PC tower and run the remote heads up on a shelf i placed above the desk. Above the shelf is a window (visible in top right of the pic) where the antennas will be placed on mag mounts. Im 13 floors up not far from the Melbourne CBD so reception is even fairly good with just a standard telescopic antenna but i will go mag mounts on the window.

On top of the shelf is L-R: Lacie 500GB HD, Motorola XTS3000 II, Uniden UBCD 396T, Dick Smith DTS96 (Same as Radio Shack 96), Uniden Phone, Mac Time Machine.

Will take more (better) shots once speakers are wired and all other things are in but for now this is it. This is just a quick, almost finished phone camera snap.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 2,230

EMTLJB

Nice clean set up so far. Out of curiosity, why the remote heads if your listening/control post is the same as where the scanners are located?

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
Well mainly it was a weight issue I don't think the shelf
would hold the extra weight of a 996T also I already had the
remote heads as they come free when you get the scanner. It also makes it much tidier as the 996T is deeper and would protrude from under the shelf.

suprafly21

rfi?

Does the PC add a lot of noise to your reception? Probably not a big deal for 450 and 800 MHz bands, but below that seems to be noisy if I put a receiver close to a PC.

kyguy

I already had the remote heads as they come free when you get the scanner. f.[/QUOTE said:
??? I didn't get any free remotes with mine... Who had/has that deal?

Nice setup!!

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Does the PC add a lot of noise to your reception? Probably not a big deal for 450 and 800 MHz bands, but below that seems to be noisy if I put a receiver close to a PC.

They can especially depending on the processor speed and also internet equipment. I get interefence in the 33MHz band due to the processor in the computer and with my moden & router it effects the 42-47MHz band. You should have your scanners away from the computer to help cut down the RF.

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
They can especially depending on the processor speed and also internet equipment. I get interefence in the 33MHz band due to the processor in the computer and with my moden & router it effects the 42-47MHz band. You should have your scanners away from the computer to help cut down the RF.

Its not really possible. I get no interference on 430mhz

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Its not really possible. I get no interference on 430mhz

It is not as noticeable up in the VHF-high & UHF range but it does effect the front end of a scanner. But the low band (33MHz and 40 MHz) when you roll off the squelch you will notice it "whine" of interference. No matter how good a case you have, RF leaks like crazy from computers and peripherals. This set up may work great for you, I'm just pointing out to you that the computer RF will cause some problems with receiving on the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.