My BCD396xt won't power up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike5959

Premium Subscriber
So I have a 396xt. I went to turn it on the other day and nothing. Ok so maybe I left it on and batteries died. Put new alkalines in and won't turn on still

I've searched for it and came up with nothing I tried the reset button combo and nothing. Any insight would be great the h it is about 6 months old I got a good deal at one of the radio shacks going out of business and I didn't get a receipt. I hope to be able to find some troubleshooting tips before I have to pay for a repair.

So batteries installed properly, switch set to alkaline. I also tried to power up using the AV adapter no go

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I haven't tried connecting it to my laptop again but I will try that as well.
have you tried using the wal cord? wonder if you contacted UNIDEN and explained you recently purchased if they may offer a deal to look at it. worth a try. the 396xt is my favorite scanner i have ever owned. better than the 996p2 even. good luck with it. curious, how much did u pay?

Mike5959

Premium Subscriber
$320. The bad thing was I paid cash and the store was a shady area. I didn't worry about the receipt because I know uniden are solid and I figured if anything happened they would be able to use the sn

Mike5959

Premium Subscriber
Turns out I'm just stupid. I hadn't used the unit in a while and I was actually pressing the wrong button :/

I have no idea why I thought you had to press and hold the volume knob.

Duh.

I do have another question. I got all the frequencies I want programmed in. For the life of me I haven't been able to figure out how to select separate systems. I'm so used to old scanners with banks but on this I made systems for each area but I can't lock out the systems I do t want to hear. I hit the # and an * shows up which would lead me to believe it's off but nope.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Turns out I'm just stupid. I hadn't used the unit in a while and I was actually pressing the wrong button :/

Duh.

I do have another question. I got all the frequencies I want programmed in. For the life of me I haven't been able to figure out how to select separate systems. I'm so used to old scanners with banks but on this I made systems for each area but I can't lock out the systems I do t want to hear. I hit the # and an * shows up which would lead me to believe it's off but nope.
You will need to assign System Quick Keys. Think of quick keys as bank numbers that you can program to the systems and frequencies, instead of programming systems and frequencies to banks.

Also if you haven't already check out the easier-to-read manual linked below:

http://marksscanners.com/396XT/396xt.shtml

Read "Understanding Dynamic Memory" and "Understanding Quick Keys" for more information.

Last edited:

Mike5959

Premium Subscriber
I set the quick keys for each system. when I press the number I have assigned to the system it either shows the number or *. I assumed the * would deselect the system.

Maybe I can send you my database to check.

D

darunimal

That's correct a numerical (#) representation will show for a System Quick Key (SQK) that's been enabled, for a System not enabled " * " will show, for a SQK not set up it will show "-". If your systems have sites, which I'm sure they do, make sure you have them set the same as the SQK. So SQK "8" has "Macon CO" and that system has 2 Sites: Macon North & Macon South make sure you label the site's quick keys as 8 also.

For a System number above 9, 10 and so on to 99 you have to enter the decimal first ".". So, for SQK13 you'll have to press "." (7) then 1 the 13 / (.13). And yes of course you can refer to SQK as banks if would prefer. Convertional systems wont have a site quick key(sQK), only a SQK then its Group Quick Keys(GQK).

Mike5959

Premium Subscriber
I have a mix of cnv and mot2 systems. Exampl my home town is set to sys quick key 1 and then I have a group with 5 channels and that group sys key is also set to 1

On the others the mot2 the quick key always goes back to by site if I select a never it says that it will change the groups and when I go back it shows by site still. All the channels in their perspective systems match. I wiped out the scanner to do a fresh upload and when I select the 1 it's playing channel that are set to 6. Do you have to pick both on the scanner quick key for system and group? I can send a screen shot of that wasn't clear.

kruser

Premium Subscriber

Duh.

Yep, that will do it!!

No worries though, with all the toys we have these days, I find myself doing the same exact thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.