My BCD436HP firmware update wishlist :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Well, had my BCD436HP for a while now, and like it a lot, and i thought of a couple of what i`ll call firmware update wishes, here `goes :).

One, (this may have been already mentioned, if so then sorry for repeating) Please make the "site hold" feature function easier to use kinda like the "department hold" for conventional systems). One of the systems i listen to is a large (statewide) multi-site one, and the current "site hold" feature isn`t all that easy to use, or convenient, one must let the unit scan the system, when it lands on the site ya wanna hold on then you can press function>site hold and hold on it, this should be more like how department hold works, have the same function>site hold, but allow one to then step through the sites untill ya get to the one ya wanna hold on, a second function>site hold will hold on that site.

Two (this may actually be a bug, but haven`t done enough testing to verify yet), fix an issue in which, when ya power off the scanner while monitoring a trunked system, and power it back on the system will start scanning an avoided system, had this happen a lot while i was up north and would be monitoring the WISCOM system, i`d turn off my scanner, and turn it back on later on to see that it was scanning a system i`d set to avoid. VERY ANOYING :(! Also update the unit to have it "remember" what you were scanning when ya power it off, and come back to that when it is powered back on (like my `396XT can do, very convenient :)), for example, if you were monitoring a site on a trunked system and you turned off the scanner, it would "remember" that setting and pick up where it left off when powered back up (pick up with the site/trunked system you were listening to when you turned it off.

There ya have it, my "wishlist" for a feuture update, thanx! N9NRA

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure that when you avoid something you are pressing the button twice to permanently avoid the item? Otherwise if you press avoid once, you will see temporary avoid come up on the screen and so when you power down the unit and turn it back on, that item is not supposed to be avoided anymore.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure that when you avoid something you are pressing the button twice to permanently avoid the item? Otherwise if you press avoid once, you will see temporary avoid come up on the screen and so when you power down the unit and turn it back on, that item is not supposed to be avoided anymore.

Yeah, i believe i was doing things correctly when i noticed this issue the first time, but i`ll do more testing to see what crops up, in fact, that`s the reason i`ve not reported it as a true bug yet, as i`ve not tried to test this much, been busy with other stuff lately :). Thanx for the insight anyway. N9NRA

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
One, (this may have been already mentioned, if so then sorry for repeating) Please make the "site hold" feature function easier to use kinda like the "department hold" for conventional systems).

The 3 buttons on the bottom of the keypad all work exactly the same; they just apply to different levels of the hierarchy. Press the button until the related item is highlighted on-screen. If you do nothing else the system. department, or channel/talkgroup is held. If you press Avoid while the highlighting is active, then the item is avoided instead of held. Double-pressing Avoid makes the Avoid permanent instead of temporary, and will be noted in the on-screen prompt.

If you place a hold at the channel/talkgroup level, you can rotate the selector knob to manually cycle through channels/talkgroups. If you have a system hold, you will only cycle throu that system. If you have a department hold, you will only cycle through that department.

Note that during scanning, there is a tiny arrow in the upper right corner of the screen indicating the direction of scanning. If you rotate the selector knob during scanning,the scanner will resume scanning in the direction the knob was turned. So if you hear something interesting while the scanner is scanning "up", and the scanner starts scanning away from the channel of interest, you can rotate the knob counter-clockwise to reverse the scan direction to "down" and scan back to the channel of interest quickly without scanning through everything else in the scan list.

mitbr

Well, had my BCD436HP for a while now, and like it a lot, and i thought of a couple of what i`ll call firmware update wishes, here `goes :).

One, (this may have been already mentioned, if so then sorry for repeating) Please make the "site hold" feature function easier to use kinda like the "department hold" for conventional systems). One of the systems i listen to is a large (statewide) multi-site one, and the current "site hold" feature isn`t all that easy to use, or convenient, one must let the unit scan the system, when it lands on the site ya wanna hold on then you can press function>site hold and hold on it, this should be more like how department hold works, have the same function>site hold, but allow one to then step through the sites untill ya get to the one ya wanna hold on, a second function>site hold will hold on that site.

You could also set up quick keys for your sites just make sure to make the number one that is not already being used.
Tim

SCPD

QRT
My only issue on the 436HP is the tiny size of the UNIT ID information .. I am hoping that Uniden can address this.

My thought .. the 46-60+ characters assigned to the TG (the bottom of the 3 sections) is kinda overkill (for those of us used to commercial radios where the tag can be as small as 8 characters) .. and feel that 1 line of 23 characters is fine.

I would love to see the OPTION of allowing the TOP line to be used for the TG info and the BOTTOM line being used for the UNIT ID information. ALL in the larger size of the existing TG tag.

Lets face it .. the Unit ID data is just very small almost like it was an after thought .. or they just ran out of room to properly display it. I think it was the latter.

I do not use 2 lines for my TG names .. but I would obviously like Uniden to still allow this for people that want it. I do not want to decrease the functionality of the radio as it stands.

That is my only issue for an otherwise great scanner.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I would like the option of using both lines of the Dept name to make the Dept name twice as big.

I think that this firmware wish list could get very long .. some ability to almost customize our displays how we like would just be nice. :) Even a little.

JANFINE

Premium Subscriber
3 Buttons at the bottom of the keypad

This is not true.
The System & Department work the same.
The Channel works differently.
The Channel holds on a channel instantly
The System & Department have a delayed hold if touched once.
For instant hold you have to touch twice.

The 3 buttons on the bottom of the keypad all work exactly the same; they just apply to different levels of the hierarchy. Press the button until the related item is highlighted on-screen. If you do nothing else the system. department, or channel/talkgroup is held. If you press Avoid while the highlighting is active, then the item is avoided instead of held. Double-pressing Avoid makes the Avoid permanent instead of temporary, and will be noted in the on-screen prompt.

If you place a hold at the channel/talkgroup level, you can rotate the selector knob to manually cycle through channels/talkgroups. If you have a system hold, you will only cycle throu that system. If you have a department hold, you will only cycle through that department.

Note that during scanning, there is a tiny arrow in the upper right corner of the screen indicating the direction of scanning. If you rotate the selector knob during scanning,the scanner will resume scanning in the direction the knob was turned. So if you hear something interesting while the scanner is scanning "up", and the scanner starts scanning away from the channel of interest, you can rotate the knob counter-clockwise to reverse the scan direction to "down" and scan back to the channel of interest quickly without scanning through everything else in the scan list.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I still want to see a Sentinel software update...the ability to go into the profile settings of each saved file and be able to manage the favorites lists separately in each saved file. I have fifty favorite lists for my 436 and 536. If I want one to have location control but not the other, I have to bring up the 436 profile and turn off location control for each favorite list. Why can't I say location control off in my 436 profile and location control on in my 536 file?

SCPD

QRT
yes

I'm with you on this! I hit hold and it goes whizzing past the channel everytime,I am fast,I'm good at the game SongPop!Come on Uniden
we want it to stop immediatey on SYSTEM when you press system
DEPARTMENT when you press departent and CHANNEL as soon as you press it.

Boatanchor

Don't waste your breath (typing) here.
Nobody at Uniden cares what you want.

Uniden's scanner division appears to be run by one or two dictatorial staff who decide what software the engineers write into the firmware.

Many people requested that the volume control on the 396xt defaulted to volume (without having to press it first). Such a simple request and yet it was never addressed. The 436HP volume operates the same stupid way because Uniden are so set in their ways.

People requested the ability to search with NAC and CTCSS at the same time, but this was never addressed.

There are many other examples too.

Uniden and Whistler need to start listening to their customers, otherwise their customers are going to disappear and spend their money elsewhere.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Uniden and Whistler need to start listening to their customers, otherwise their customers are going to disappear and spend their money elsewhere.

Interesting point of view you busted down Uniden as it seems a trend for you and then right at the end you add Whistler in.Fair enough but about spending money elsewhere what should I buy and please do not bring a SDR up at home fine and dandy but any ideas for portable?

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

Boatanchor

I have no suggestions for an alternative. Sadly, there aren't any.

There are some other nice toys that you can buy with $600 though :)

wise871

Database Admin
I would like to see Control Channel Only added back to search mode like on all the previous models but that's not going to happen. They are worthless when it comes to ID Trunk Systems information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT

This is not true.
The System & Department work the same.
The Channel works differently.
The Channel holds on a channel instantly
The System & Department have a delayed hold if touched once.
For instant hold you have to touch twice.

not practical,one hit should stop anything
when seconds matter wether you will or will not stop it to hold.
mine always flys right past like to say hey pal,Im not stopping!

Status
Not open for further replies.