My Calls feed goes offline at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingscup

Feed Provider
I am a new Calls provider and I have noticed my feed going offline every night between 1-3 times a night. This occurs between 11:00 pm and 6:00 am PST. It only lasts for approximately 20 each. Several times, I have been using the internet at that time so it is not an internet problem. So I guess the problem is either my RPi or Broadcastify. I am just wondering if anyone have this problem?

a417

look at the broadcastify logs for that timeframe, and actually...look at all the logs to see what you find.

I'm not an active broadcastify user, but IIRC but there should be some logs in /var/log/ that can start you looking in the right directions.

Always, always look at the logs when there is an issue. You may not immediately know what the logs say (that comes with time), but if your system is having trouble, the logs will start you on your journey to a solution

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I am a new Calls provider and I have noticed my feed going offline every night between 1-3 times a night. This occurs between 11:00 pm and 6:00 am PST. It only lasts for approximately 20 each. Several times, I have been using the internet at that time so it is not an internet problem. So I guess the problem is either my RPi or Broadcastify. I am just wondering if anyone have this problem?

If your feed is not busy enough to produce audio for a certain amount of time, it will report as offline. I monitor a county simulcast -- but that county does not have any "jibber jabber" going on. Agencies only talk when they are called out. At night it can sometimes be an hour before a transmission is recorded. During that time it will send me a notification that the feed is down. Usually I'll get a notification not too long after that it is back online. During the day when the system I monitor is busy, I never get those notifications.

In your BCFY dashboard you can configure how soon you want to be notified after a feed is seen as "offline". If you specifiy 1 hour, you might want to increase it -- so that it doesnt' send you the alerts at night when there is no activity.

Mike

Kingscup

Feed Provider
If your feed is not busy enough to produce audio for a certain amount of time, it will report as offline. I monitor a county simulcast -- but that county does not have any "jibber jabber" going on. Agencies only talk when they are called out. At night it can sometimes be an hour before a transmission is recorded. During that time it will send me a notification that the feed is down. Usually I'll get a notification not too long after that it is back online. During the day when the system I monitor is busy, I never get those notifications.

In your BCFY dashboard you can configure how soon you want to be notified after a feed is seen as "offline". If you specifiy 1 hour, you might want to increase it -- so that it doesnt' send you the alerts at night when there is no activity.

All of this makes sense. I monitor a large fire department and they are generally fairly busy but even they may not have any traffic for 20-30 minutes in the middle of the night. I had my notifications set to 15 minutes mostly to see if there were any hiccups with the feed. Everything seems to be working so I will change the notifications to 1 hour. Thanks for the help.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Unlike a traditional BCFY feed, a Calls node is not streaming 24/7. That is to say, it does not continuously stream like a normal feed does, and so whereas the traditional feed is always sending something to the server (including dead air), a Calls node is actually uploading individual transmissions, and is idle the rest of the time.

Increase your notification time to something more reasonable, especially if the agency is quiet overnight.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Unlike a traditional BCFY feed, a Calls node is not streaming 24/7. That is to say, it does not continuously stream like a normal feed does, and so whereas the traditional feed is always sending something to the server (including dead air), a Calls node is actually uploading individual transmissions, and is idle the rest of the time.

Increase your notification time to something more reasonable, especially if the agency is quiet overnight.
This is the way

Status
Not open for further replies.