• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

My cell phone is a scanner???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cws

I have a RAZR V3 from Motorola, with Cingular service. I've noticed that if I lay my phone down by my clock radio, or my PC printer, I get an occasional burst of morse code over my cell phone speaker, lasting just a couple of seconds - maybe 8 or 10 characters. It doesn't happen a few feet away from those places. Overnight, I've heard it about 4 or 5 times. The cell is a GSM, using 850 and 1900 MHz (so the book says). Anyone know what that's all about?

bill645

Premium Subscriber
I don't think its morse.
I get the same thing, if my phone is near my speakers on my computer, scanner cheap am/fm radio. I think it has somthing to do with the digital signal, and the freqs. that the phone uses.

Anybody else have any info on this?

N

N_Jay

Its not Mores.

Its just the transmitter turning on and off with each packet sent.
Most TDMA transmitters do that to some level.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Watch out! somebodie's watching you!

Does the phone have a camera? :lol:

I'm just an average man with an average life I work from 9-5....... ♫ ♫♪♫♪♪

(Rockwell)

EDIT~ Well how be, it does have a camera.

It says it also has Bluetooth. I wonder if this too could be the culprit?

Last edited:

kc4jgc

Many folks don't realize it, cell phones do transmit a signal even when you're not using it. Usually it's the system polling your phone "Are you still there?", your phone still answers "Yes I am". This happens every few seconds, actually. This is how you get your signal levels from the nearest cell site. There's also a bit of talking going on when your phone is handed off to the next cell. Of course there a bit of noise going on when you're recieving a phone call or getting a text message. If my phone is near my scanner or TV I do pick up some noise 1-2 seconds before a call or message comes in or when I get handed to the next cell down the road. Could this possibly be what you're hearing?

jparks29

what kcjgc said.. RF interference piped into a poorly designed AF amplifier....

put it next to some cheap speakers.. you'll hear it...

when an incoming/outgoing call/message is taking place....

ti tic ti tic tic tic tic bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

it's just a poorly designed audio amplifer circuit.

Thayne

Premium Subscriber
If I set my Nexthell within 3 inches of the GFI on the kitchen island, it will trip it off, especially if you turn the phone on or off. ( But occasionally other times too)

My Verizon phone doesn't do anything though.

I can key up my Kenwood 450 handheld when walking thru a parking lot and set off car alarms pretty reliably too. :)

N

N_Jay

Thayne said:
If I set my Nexthell within 3 inches of the GFI on the kitchen island, it will trip it off, especially if you turn the phone on or off. ( But occasionally other times too)

My Verizon phone doesn't do anything though.

I can key up my Kenwood 450 handheld when walking thru a parking lot and set off car alarms pretty reliably too. :)

Verizon is CDMA and is not near as susceptible to causing interference than TDMA formats.

cws

kc4jgc said:
Many folks don't realize it, cell phones do transmit a signal even when you're not using it. Usually it's the system polling your phone "Are you still there?", your phone still answers "Yes I am". This happens every few seconds, actually. This is how you get your signal levels from the nearest cell site. There's also a bit of talking going on when your phone is handed off to the next cell. Of course there a bit of noise going on when you're recieving a phone call or getting a text message. If my phone is near my scanner or TV I do pick up some noise 1-2 seconds before a call or message comes in or when I get handed to the next cell down the road. Could this possibly be what you're hearing?
Yes, I think you are correct. A guy at work today said his cell interferes with his TV, and the closer he puts it to a speaker, the louder it is. I copied morse in the Army, and had trouble reading it, but I thought it was just a bad signal - probably not morse at all. Guess I'll just have to put it elsewhere at night. Thanks.

Raccon

I have a RAZR V3 from Motorola, with Cingular service. I've noticed that if I lay my phone down by my clock radio, or my PC printer, I get an occasional burst of morse code over my cell phone speaker, lasting just a couple of seconds - maybe 8 or 10 characters. It doesn't happen a few feet away from those places. Overnight, I've heard it about 4 or 5 times. The cell is a GSM, using 850 and 1900 MHz (so the book says). Anyone know what that's all about?
It means the phone is keying up the transmitter and because the transmission is "bursty" it may sound like Morse code. If the GSM phone is in 'idle mode' (i.e. not in a call) this is usually caused by a 'location update' - the switch (MSC) is asking the phone if it's still "alive" and updates its location to the database when it gets a response. If there is no response the switch will register it as "IMSI detached" so that there are no signaling messages send out for this phone number (e.g. when somebody tries to call the phone), with the intent to reduce the load to the system.
The period when a location update is performed is a programmable parameter and typically set in the area of hours, not seconds. Sending the location update messages every few seconds to each phone would be somewhat counterproductive towards reducing the signaling message load, besides that it would drain the phone's batteries very quickly since it has to transmit for sending a response.

Last edited:

STiMULi

No BS and I am not repeating something I have heard, read, seen in the movies or on TV.

I know of a group that would buy new model cell phones open them, hack them and would learn what it would take to hack. Not just regular hacking like what I did to my RAZR but being able to turn on your phone remotely and monitor your activities and you would have no idea it was on.

Anyone want to guess who? :)

(No... I am not tellin' though :D)

N

N_Jay

STiMULi said:
No BS and I am not repeating something I have heard, read, seen in the movies or on TV.

I know of a group that would buy new model cell phones open them, hack them and would learn what it would take to hack. Not just regular hacking like what I did to my RAZR but being able to turn on your phone remotely and monitor your activities and you would have no idea it was on.

Anyone want to guess who? :)

(No... I am not tellin' though :D)
Easy to do.

Just enable a mode with "silent ringer" and "auto Answer" enabled.
Other than that, its more likely to happen "in the movies" than In real life.

They would have to get their hands on YOUR phone AND they would have to do the hack well enough that you don't notice the weird operation.

STiMULi

N_Jay said:
Easy to do.

Just enable a mode with "silent ringer" and "auto Answer" enabled.
Other than that, its more likely to happen "in the movies" than In real life.

They would have to get their hands on YOUR phone AND they would have to do the hack well enough that you don't notice the weird operation.

Nice try :)

Not easy to do. THE PHONE IS OFF. YOU TURNED IT OFF. They turn it on and you have NO INDICATION that the PHONE IS ON :D

Yes. It is most likely to happen in the movies but this IS NOT STUFF or the MOVIES.

Either that or I am lying to you and just want attention. You choose. :roll:

N

N_Jay

STiMULi said:
Nice try :)

Not easy to do. THE PHONE IS OFF. YOU TURNED IT OFF. They turn it on and you have NO INDICATION that the PHONE IS ON :D

Yes. It is most likely to happen in the movies but this IS NOT STUFF or the MOVIES.

Either that or I am lying to you and just want attention. You choose. :roll:
Unless they do one hell of a job hacking the phone, you are lying.

The phone is 99% software and to add such features deep in the code and NOT affecting the overall operation of the phone with telltale signs in the UI would require coders much better then those that developed the phone software in the first place.

If the phone is OFF you cannot turn it on remotely.

If you coded a hack to make it look off, and it was on you would most likely have trouble faking the turn on and turn off UI sequences.

It will also be eating batteries while on and looking off.

It will also be making tell-tail noise on other electronics (in GSM, TDMA, or iDEN)

It will probably not react properly to a valid page wile in this Off/On mode.

The movies make this **** look easy, and it just is NOT!:evil:

It would be easier to hack the subsidy lock; not unlock it with hacks programming SW, but really hack the phone. Seems even with the $$ incentive that has not been done.

It would be easier to hack the phone to access the "Pay as you go" tables; but once again it is not happening.

flyingwolf

Sorry STiMULi, but I cal bull**** on that one, for one, if the phone is off, it cannot be turned on remotely.

If it cannot receive a signal it cannot be remotely turned on.

So yea, thats crap, and anyone with a thinking mind can see that.

garys

Premium Subscriber
STiMULi said:
Ok

I am lying. :roll:

Check my profile out...
Been doing it for 28 years... lying the entire time...
Notorious for it in fact! <G>

Here are some things that I know can and have been done.

FBI was able to turn on the monitor feature in the cell phone installed in car with OnStar. No indication that they were listening in. For those wondering, they had a warrant to tap the phone. They were sued because the modifications done to the software disabled the emergency features of OnStar. They lost, but again, not because they were wire tapping. In fact, there is a thread somewhere on this board about it.

Many Motorola radios can be stunned remotely. We all know that. What many don't know is that the radios can be caused to transmit without generating a side tone. This can be done remotely to help track stolen radios.

Don't forget that the Israelis duplicated a terrorist's phone exactly and had an agent make a swap. Well, one minor change. They planted explosives in the phone. When the guy answered, they confirmed his idea and detonated the phone remotely. Yeah, I know it has nothing to do with the subject, but it's a neat story.

The point is a lot can be done via software without the owner knowing it's being done.

Keep lying Stimuli, I learn a lot from your BS. <G>

Gary

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
N_Jay said:
It will also be making tell-tail noise on other electronics (in GSM, TDMA, or iDEN)
Hmm, interesting, interesting indeed. Blaa ha ha ha!!! :twisted:

I see a new topic. -"HELP, MY PHONE IS MAKING NOISE AND THE BATTERY DIES TOO EARLY!"- :lol:

I wonder, how many actually turn their phones off? :lol:

N

N_Jay

STiMULi said:
Ok

I am lying. :roll:

Check my profile out...
Been doing it for 28 years... lying the entire time...
Being a telecom Engineer in Tucson may or may not make you an expert on one or more of 100 different topics.

Now if you said you were a Cellular phone control processor Sr. software development engineer, you MIGHT have just a little more credit. (But not enough to make this BS True).

Status
Not open for further replies.