My cell phone is a scanner???

Status
Not open for further replies.

STiMULi

The phone is on but it looks off.

But I am lying.

Carry on...

BTW if you are getting nitpicky and think I am talking about a RAZR, I am not. I am taliking about a Nokia. No I do not remember what model it was either. But remember I am lying. :roll:

N

N_Jay

STiMULi said:
The phone is on but it looks off.

But I am lying.

Carry on...

BTW if you are getting nitpicky and think I am talking about a RAZR, I am not. I am taliking about a Nokia. No I do not remember what model it was either. But remember I am lying. :roll:
I think the issue is that the chance of making it work "perfect" is damn low to impossible.
(Heck, the manufacturers have enough trouble adding properly designed features without screwing up the phone!)

AND you wold still have to get your hands on the SPECIFIC person's phone you wanted to do this to.

Are there people out there stupid enough to not notice a screwed up implementation, Sure!

But what is the use of bugging such a stupid person anyhow.:confused: :roll: :lol:

As I was saying, nothing to worry about, and way more likely (and easy) in the movies than in real life.

P.S. Early iDEN phones would allow "silent ringer" and "auto answer" to be turned on together ;)
Of course any idiot would recognise his phone was not "working right", but it was fun to do with a "spare phone"

Raccon

I am still lying...
You have brought nothing to the table but an unproven claim while others have given arguments why it should not or cannot work. You have also not countered any of those arguments with (technical) facts, instead you merely claim to know. Therefore you shouldn't be surprised if people doubt or don't believe you.

Here is another argument opposing your claim: the power switch in the phone is not a mechanical switch that just disconnects the power when you switch it off, instead it's software controlled. When you press the button to switch off your phone it will still transmit a signal to the system (often the display is already off) that now registers the phone as 'IMSI detached', in which case no further signaling messages are send to that particular subscriber. And that includes any signal to switch on the phone (if it were possible to begin with).
Given that I am pretty convinced you can't trigger the phone remotely since you not only need to "hack" the phone but also the system to make it work.

STiMULi

Raccon said:
]And that includes any signal to switch on the phone (if it were possible to begin with).
Given that I am pretty convinced you can't trigger the phone remotely since you not only need to "hack" the phone but also the system to make it work.
Ok which phone are YOU talking about? I do not remember the Model of NOKIA I am talking about. It was about 8 years ago.

The phone would be powered "off" by you. The display would show the power down sequence. But the Phone was not actually off. It was in a "stand by" mode. The phone could be remotely "polled" whether it was "off" or on. The monitoring would be done from either the phone itself, or a intermediate connection between the wireless infrastructure and the handset.

The phone would be in a low power mode when "off" and periodically check to see if it had been polled. If polled it would open the mic and communicate withe the monitoring entity.

But I am lying...

STiMULi

You must be thinking hacking on the level of MotoModders or Howardforums or some other entity.

Remember this, things are not as always complicated or simple as you may think.

One more thing, I never lie.

But I could be. :roll:

Why would I ? For the attention? To make it seem that I know something you don't? To propagate some BS or perception? To make myself feel better.

Yeah that's it.

I feel better now :)

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Why bother? NSA has sat's that pick up every cell phone conversation in the world, actually every radio transmission in the world....

kc4jgc

poltergeisty said:

I wonder, how many actually turn their phones off? :lol:
Actually I do, whenever I can get away with it! Hate the things. Don't like not being able to disappear. I used to be able to say, "unless you have a ham ticket, I cannot be reached."

Moreover, so many people are so rude when on cell phones it's unbelievable. if I were to list the ways, I think I'd be typing through next month...........

STiMULi

skywatch said:
Why bother? NSA has sat's that pick up every cell phone conversation in the world, actually every radio transmission in the world....

You are not on a call and your phone becomes an open wireless mic.

This is not really listening to a call.

Al42

garys said:
Here are some things that I know can and have been done.

FBI was able to turn on the monitor feature in the cell phone installed in car with OnStar.
Not while the phone was turned off, though.

Many Motorola radios can be stunned remotely. We all know that. What many don't know is that the radios can be caused to transmit without generating a side tone. This can be done remotely to help track stolen radios.
Not while the radio is turned off, though.

STiMULi

OK

For the last time...

YOU ARE THE USER. YOU SHUT YOUR PHONE OFF. IT LOOKS OFF. IT IS NOT REALLY OFF. IT LOOKS OFF. IT IS NOT REALLY OFF.

Think of it from ths point of view...

When you use the remote control to turn off your TV is it really off? NO. IF it were really off you could not turn it back on with the remote control, could you?

Get it?

Even when my RAZR is "off" it will still sound the alarm. But wait! I turned it off.

No I did not. I only shut down part of the functionality.

Argue it any more an you are only trying to show your ignorance. :)

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
STiMULi said:
OK

For the last time...
Something tells me that this is far from being your last time.

I'm surprised nobody hears the rf section of the phone still getting into audio amps when it's off (but it's not off, or is it?).

It would be pretty hard to disguise the fact that your phone is actually on and transmitting when the NSA decides to listen to your call. Place it near any audio amp and the buzz will give it away instantly.

STiMULi

Mike_Oxlong said:
It would be pretty hard to disguise the fact that your phone is actually on and transmitting when the NSA decides to listen to your call. Place it near any audio amp and the buzz will give it away instantly.
You are soooooooooo smart.

You must have actually read the first few posts of the thread. :cool:

BTW the "Last time" response was associated with the "Off" perception. That is beating a dead horse.

But you already knew that too, huh? ;)

STiMULi

Nope.

But I will not admit I am wrong just because you think I am.

If I was making stuff up it wouldn't be this.

But then I would have to be someone that makes things up.

N

N_Jay

STiMULi said:
No BS and I am not repeating something I have heard, read, seen in the movies or on TV.

I know of a group that would buy new model cell phones open them, hack them and would learn what it would take to hack. Not just regular hacking like what I did to my RAZR but being able to turn on your phone remotely and monitor your activities and you would have no idea it was on.

Anyone want to guess who? :)

(No... I am not tellin' though :D)
And back to the first post in the off-topic rant.

Could it be done, sure, with enough money and planning.

Is it something any normal person has to worry about?

Nope.

Is it something tossed into the conversation so Stimuli can sound cool?

Your guess is as good as mine.:roll:

STiMULi

N_Jay said:
And back to the first post in the off-topic rant.

Could it be done, sure, with enough money and planning.

Is it something any normal person has to worry about?

Nope.

Is it something tossed into the conversation so Stimuli can sound cool?

Your guess is as good as mine.:roll:
I feel cool now too!

Thanks! :D

mike_webb59

1. I'm willing to submit for discussion that unless the battery pack has been pulled and any residual power has been discharged, any battery-operated device is ON.

2. I'd guess that one would hack the system and muck the instruction set while the system is/was turned on, not try to break in while it was turned off. You know, while the phone was waiting for software updates.

3. In a sense, like a tree falling on the forest (making a sound), the cell phone microphone still receives sound waves even when not in use.

4. If you follow any of the computer techno-weenie threads you'll know that recently a *hardware* vulnerability has been discovered in some Wi-Fi adapters that allows full access to the computer on which it is installed.

5. I think that there are no truly impenetrable (commercial) systems, be it the cell phone itself, or the Wireless Provider, or the Messaging / Internet Servers that connect to the Web. There's a door somewhere -- if you can't just walk in the front.

6. I would venture to say that the transmission range of a hacked cell phone for non-directed audio need only be measured in feet, not in miles. Just to the parking lot outside or to the window pane.

7. I would also guess that all those little electronic widgets and components inside the phone are subject to electro-magnetic||sonic||whatever stimulation from a source off the circuit board.

8. I watch too many X-Files episodes, read too many Clancy and Koontz novels, and critiqued too many conspiracy movies to feel safe anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.