My coil tude headphones are so quiet on my SDS100 why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheels1911

I work security and was going to use my SDS100 as my listening device while I transmit with my primary radio.

I have never attempted this yet so I bought these babes https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RQNZCTS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just standard police coil jube headphones.

Well, I have the radio at full volume with +3 on sounds offset and it is still SO QUIET.... Why is this so quiet? why in the world would headphones be quiet.

as you can tell im pretty confused

Firekite

Is it quiet with just the built in speaker? Is it quiet with real earbuds?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I believe you may have. The sleeve part of the connector has replaced the ring part of a stereo connector and effectively shorting the ring contact in the radio to the sleeve.

wheels1911

I believe you may have. The sleeve part of the connector has replaced the ring part of a stereo connector and effectively shorting the ring contact in the radio to the sleeve.

can you help me find to correct one?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Find a pair of stereo ear buds on the cheap. Take a look at the plug. They will also confirm the jack works. Buy a tube set with the same connector. I not so sure the 200 ohm impedance is the issue.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber

wheels1911

Find a pair of stereo ear buds on the cheap. Take a look at the plug. They will also confirm the jack works. Buy a tube set with the same connector. I not so sure the 200 ohm impedance is the issue.

So like music earbuds?

I mean I don't really wanna look like that while doing security, you know.

wheels1911

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
So you think that will bump my sounds way up??!? How sure are you? lol
Reasonabley shure. The scanner headset jack is intended to drive a aet of stereo earphones (left & right) using a standard 3-contact 3.5mm stereo plug. The 2-contact mono plug on your earphone is shorting out one of the stereo outputs which will greatly reduce the total audio output coming out of the jack.

wheels1911

Reasonably sure. The scanner headset jack is intended to drive a set of stereo earphones (left & right) using a standard 3-contact 3.5mm stereo plug. The 2-contact mono plug on your earphone is shorting out one of the stereo outputs which will greatly reduce the total audio output coming out of the jack.

Even tho is only one earbud? and not 2 it will still increase that one?

dougjgray

They do make mono to stereo adapters search on Amazon and try that if it still to low the maybe the impedence mismatch is the problem

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Even tho is only one earbud? and not 2 it will still increase that one?
One way you *might* be able to test for this case is to tune the scanner to a constant signal, like the local weather channel, turn up the volume half was and *slowly* plug in your earphone while it is in your ear. If it starts out loud in your ear then gets quiet when it is fully plugged in, the adapter I listed ahould fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.