• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

My college uses a GMRS frequency for public safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonziBuddy

They're using a repeater on 462.6250, with DSC. I cannot find any records for them in the FCC database.

Is this legal?

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
The repeater should ID itself every so often usually in morse code. Copy the call sign and look that up in the FCC database and see who the license belongs too. Though I've seen repeaters with fake call signs, its worth a try.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm guessing they did not do their homework here.
n9zas

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
A lot of municipalities around the Metro Atlanta area are still licensed on GMRS via grandfather clause. None of them have any GMRS radio's, but they have the license.

Folks using the repeater should be ID'ing themselves if they are licensed or at least the base should.

RayAir

At least you can listen to them, enjoy it.

The college I am going to went to OpenSky (unmonitorable)

clanusb

If there were grandfathered, I think a license would still exist in the FCC database. The OP said he/she could not find a license.

I listed the only 2 ways that they could be operating legally!. The OP didn't give the name of the school or the license that he/she searched so we could help.
Other people threw that option out there as well.
Don't troll.

Last edited:

auxscan

I've started a thread in the NY section similar to this involving VACS using GMRS frequencies but it got closed cause it got out of hand.

BonziBuddy

Program 462.625 into your scanners and I'm sure you will eventually hear them.

I have no idea how many watts they must be putting out... but I'm pretty sure it's a lot.

DSC code 411. Input is the standard 462.625 as per GMRS rules. If you can hit their repeater, you will hear them back... and no, it does not identify itself ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.