My custom 396XT file, any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougWare

Feed Provider
I've been monitoring with my Pro164 longer than I wanted, but tomorrow I should be finally able to place my order for a 396XT.

I started with the Viper starter file, and although it was helpful...it was split up way too much for my tastes. I like to keep the systems I monitor in 10-20 banks (in this case systems) so I could easily disable Viper completely if i wanted.

Anyway, to make a long story short...I've already created my FreeScan file including Viper in my own layout. I would love for someone to give me some input so that I can nip any issues in the bud before my scanner arrives and start scanning immediately.

Thanks!
Doug

Attachments

• DougsDigitalScanner.zip
    21.1 KB · Views: 73

Highpockets

I've been monitoring with my Pro164 longer than I wanted, but tomorrow I should be finally able to place my order for a 396XT.

I started with the Viper starter file, and although it was helpful...it was split up way too much for my tastes. I like to keep the systems I monitor in 10-20 banks (in this case systems) so I could easily disable Viper completely if i wanted.

Anyway, to make a long story short...I've already created my FreeScan file including Viper in my own layout. I would love for someone to give me some input so that I can nip any issues in the bud before my scanner arrives and start scanning immediately.

Thanks!
Doug

Allot in there, in the Fort Bragg system, you have it setup as a Mot 800 type II and there are UHF freq's in the Freq section. I guess you don't use quick keys!

DougWare

Feed Provider
Allot in there, in the Fort Bragg system, you have it setup as a Mot 800 type II and there are UHF freq's in the Freq section. I guess you don't use quick keys!

I don't have the whole concept of quick keys down yet...some things I know I will need to have the scanner in hand for.

I'll double check the bragg system for those UHFs. Normally I'm in the RTP area....but travel to Johnston and Harnett counties almost weekly. There is a lot to monitor in those areas...

Thanks!

DougWare

Feed Provider
I reviewed the bragg system and I believe I have it entered correctly based on the information from the database.

Highpockets

I reviewed the bragg system and I believe I have it entered correctly based on the information from the database.

Look in the site tab on the Fort Bragg system for the 2 sites, you have to enter the band plan on a UHF system, you have it as 800 type ii and set that way you can't enter the band plan, change it on the site tab to UHF Mot and enter the band plan, that's what I see, I just looked, had to find the Fort Bragg system, not from NC <laughing>

DougWare

Feed Provider
Look in the site tab on the Fort Bragg system for the 2 sites, you have to enter the band plan on a UHF system, you have it as 800 type ii and set that way you can't enter the band plan, change it on the site tab to UHF Mot and enter the band plan, that's what I see, I just looked, had to find the Fort Bragg system, not from NC <laughing>

Thanks for the help man, I think I have that system correctly now. I had never setup a system with a custom band plan before...

Attachments

• BraggSetup.jpg
    BraggSetup.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 330

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You'll want to assign SQK's to your Trunked Sites (and conventional systems). These let you quickly turn on/off sites (and systems). They are like the bank buttons on old school scanners, except you are no limited to 10 (two-digit SQKs are activated/deactivated using ./no # #... for example ./no 1 0 will toggle the sites/systems assigned to SQK 10 on and off).

cpuerror

It doesn't really matter that much which one he picks. The XT scanners do not supports either site type, rather, the only type for a type II system is "Motorola Custom/Reband". It will work either way though because when uploading FreeSCAN will massage the site type to something compatible. You are certainly right though that a bandplan is needed. Cheers.

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
We have had some big names drop by and help Doug out.
Thanks to Steve, Paul and Assaf for their help while I was occupied.
Doug, once you tackle those Quick Keys you will be golden! :)
I will still bring my laptop to the January Scanner meeting in case we need to tweak it for any reason.
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

DougWare

Feed Provider
You'll want to assign SQK's to your Trunked Sites (and conventional systems). These let you quickly turn on/off sites (and systems). They are like the bank buttons on old school scanners, except you are no limited to 10 (two-digit SQKs are activated/deactivated using ./no # #... for example ./no 1 0 will toggle the sites/systems assigned to SQK 10 on and off).

I've gone back through and assigned quick keys now that I think I understand how they work. What I was pleasantly surprised to find is that a quick key can disable/enable more than one system/site. If I want to disable three trunks that are in the same region at once...I can use one quick key...that's pretty nice!

I would love to hear why the Viper system in the starter file was split up into so many systems.

I appreciate the advice from everyone...

DougWare

Feed Provider
We have had some big names drop by and help Doug out.
Thanks to Steve, Paul and Assaf for their help while I was occupied.
Doug, once you tackle those Quick Keys you will be golden! :)
I will still bring my laptop to the January Scanner meeting in case we need to tweak it for any reason.
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Thanks Marshall, I was unable to make December's meeting for the same reason I had to delay my scanner purchase. Even though I still have a job, my employer was playing games with everyone's paychecks. I had to devote the money where it was needed. :)

Again, I want to thank EVERYONE for their suggestions...

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I've gone back through and assigned quick keys now that I think I understand how they work. What I was pleasantly surprised to find is that a quick key can disable/enable more than one system/site. If I want to disable three trunks that are in the same region at once...I can use one quick key...that's pretty nice!

You are quickly learning and turning into a scanner jedi young padawan! :lol:

Once you map out which quick keys you want to control which sites you will be able to turn on/off systems in a flash.
Next Up: System/Number Tags. With System/Number Tags I can easily pull up any Wake County PS TAC channel in a flash. If I wanted to pull up PS TAC 18 I just enter 99.18+Menu then I am parked on that Talkgroup.

I would love to hear why the Viper system in the starter file was split up into so many systems.

I appreciate the advice from everyone...

I think because I monitor so many different parts of VIPER it helps to break it down into small pieces. However, what works for me may not work for you. That is the good thing with these radios: you take the starter file and customize it to fit your needs. :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

Highpockets

Thanks Marshall, I was unable to make December's meeting for the same reason I had to delay my scanner purchase. Even though I still have a job, my employer was playing games with everyone's paychecks. I had to devote the money where it was needed. :)

Again, I want to thank EVERYONE for their suggestions...

I'm glad Assaf corrected what I posted, I should have known better, MOT Custom/Reband instead of MOT UHF was the setting to use, but, I'm sure you read his post. I'm also glad your fooling with the quick keys, it helps in setting up your programming. Marshall will help all he can! :)

DougWare

Feed Provider
I'm of the school that if you are going to own something, you should do the research to make sure you use it to it's full potential and correctly. We've all seen people with HDTVs and standard cable, or surround sound systems that are only using the front speakers. That stuff bothers me.....

As far as becoming a scanner pro...I'll get there. Things have come a LONG way since my BC 560XLT in my car and my BC 100 hand-held scanner.

Doug

DougWare

Feed Provider
Marshall,

I believe I've gotten most of my kinks out....but I would still love to get some input from you during the meeting.

When is the next meeting, the only thread I could find was for December's meeting.

Thanks!
Doug

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Marshall,

I believe I've gotten most of my kinks out....but I would still love to get some input from you during the meeting.

When is the next meeting, the only thread I could find was for December's meeting.

Thanks!
Doug

The next meeting is next Monday night (18th) at the usual spot of Red, Hot, & Blue. I look forward to seeing you there!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.