My D-Star Registration is broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

K0HAX

My D-Star registration is apparently extremely broken.

I originally tried registering on KD0JOU years ago, but that gateway died and the administrator does not intend on bringing it online again.
When I go to regist.dstargateway.org, it says: "K0HAX has been approved on: KD0JOU (on 2017-07-17 16:28:03)"
I thought that because it has been approved somewhere, it should work forever, but that is not the case. When I try linking to REF053 A it fails, and a friend of mine who is an administrator on that reflector confirmed that it's because my call sign is not in the trust list.

I have tried contacting the trust server admins via e-mail a few times, but never got a response. I'm hoping someone here can help. I think my call sign needs to be deleted from USROOT somehow so I can register it again on a reliable gateway.

edweirdFL

The "human" part of how D-Star is implemented in the US has proven to be more problematic than any of the technology and programming that makes it work.

K0HAX

I understand that, but I am mostly posting this here in the hope that someone who can help will see it. :)

dmaria

My D-Star registration is apparently extremely broken.

I originally tried registering on KD0JOU years ago, but that gateway died and the administrator does not intend on bringing it online again.
When I go to regist.dstargateway.org, it says: "K0HAX has been approved on: KD0JOU (on 2017-07-17 16:28:03)"
I thought that because it has been approved somewhere, it should work forever, but that is not the case. When I try linking to REF053 A it fails, and a friend of mine who is an administrator on that reflector confirmed that it's because my call sign is not in the trust list.

I have tried contacting the trust server admins via e-mail a few times, but never got a response. I'm hoping someone here can help. I think my call sign needs to be deleted from USROOT somehow so I can register it again on a reliable gateway.

I could be wrong, but I think HRO was able to help some people re-register when this happens. Unfortunately the registration info is stored on whichever repeater you originally registered with. If it goes down for whatever reason, you're stuck in limbo.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
That is interesting if the registration is tied to whatever repeater/computer/gateway one used for registration versus a shared trust list after approval. I am not that up-to-speed on D-Star topography, but being stuck in limbo seems poor in design. I have something to read up on today. Of course if registration gateways rarely go offline, it may not be that big of an issue.
I could be wrong, but I think HRO was able to help some people re-register when this happens. Unfortunately the registration info is stored on whichever repeater you originally registered with. If it goes down for whatever reason, you're stuck in limbo.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I don’t believe that is correct. The registration is uploaded to a central trust, hence the reason you only register once.

dmaria

I don’t believe that is correct. The registration is uploaded to a central trust, hence the reason you only register once.

This is from one article in the UK:

D-STAR registry
As authorised users make their initial transmission to a D-STAR system, the call sign information attached to the digitised voice packets is recorded by the repeater controller. The controller then shares the information with other D-STAR systems through the D-STAR gateway registry. The registry is maintained on gateway servers located around the world. When an authorised D-STAR user makes a call to a call sign not currently registered on that repeater system, the registry allows the repeater controller to route the call to the repeater on which the targeted user was last registered.

And here is the link to the article: What is D-STAR? - Amateur Radio Articles - Icom UK

belvdr

No longer interested in living
This is from one article in the UK:

D-STAR registry
As authorised users make their initial transmission to a D-STAR system, the call sign information attached to the digitised voice packets is recorded by the repeater controller. The controller then shares the information with other D-STAR systems through the D-STAR gateway registry. The registry is maintained on gateway servers located around the world.
This is what I was referring to. The registration isn't held by just one system. The registration starts on one system, but it is then uploaded to all gateways eventually. I cannot find anything that discusses what happens if the original registration gateway goes away for a user.

When an authorised D-STAR user makes a call to a call sign not currently registered on that repeater system, the registry allows the repeater controller to route the call to the repeater on which the targeted user was last registered.

And here is the link to the article: What is D-STAR? - Amateur Radio Articles - Icom UK
That talks about how you can talk to a person that is moving to different repeaters when not using a reflector. For example, if someone were to last transmit on a repeater 1, and I put their call sign into the To: field, then my transamission will be routed to repeater 1, where that user was last heard, provided the repeaters both have Internet connectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.