My deaf discone

Status
Not open for further replies.

pathalogical

The weirdest thing...using a telescopoic antenna on my handlhelds, I can hear both side of the conversation when listening to the civil air band. When I hook it up to the 130J I only hear the pilot talking no ATC's at all !!! What's the deal with that ???

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Path and readers,

It has everything to do with the radiation pattern of the antenna and it's vertical takeoff angle in particular. It gets complicated but the short form if maybe a bit innacurate is the discone's angle is higher and fixed by means of it's mount while the whip is obviously variable and somewhat wider (both higher and lower) by means of it's dipole like design. See the aircraft monitoring forum for a similar thread. I shoot a signal in the air, it comes to Earth I know not where. That depends on the trajectory of the aircraft I just shot down, I'll see the wreckage on the 5:00 News.

Colin, what's an "attunuator"? (;->) I think you meant "attenuator" but in any case your off the beam so come right to 180 and decend to 3,000 feet. Approach 18L 36R and call me at the outer marker.

Edited for humor and directions to the airport.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.