My first DX QSO's

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX2CIB

Made my first 5 DX QSO's with my club callsign (KC2ELX). Finland, Barbados, Virgin Islands, Fed. Republic of Germany, and Azores.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I want to echo what K9WG said. Its is very addicting. And the great of the hobby is you don't need a KW and Beams to enjoy DX chasing. I have a vertical (Gap Challenger) and a Drake TR7 transceiver and I work all the DX I want. It is a blast. Keep us updated as to who you work.
Joe, N9JCQ

N0IU

Why did you use your clubs call sign?

My contacts were made on 20m and I'm a Tech.

I hate to burst your bubble, but I hope you realize that those contacts, as exciting as they were for you, will not count towards your personal DXCC count. Sorry!

I have been licensed for nearly 20 years and I still get just as excited now over hearing a DX station come back with my callsign as I did back in 1992!

WX2CIB

I hate to burst your bubble, but I hope you realize that those contacts, as exciting as they were for you, will not count towards your personal DXCC count. Sorry!

I have been licensed for nearly 20 years and I still get just as excited now over hearing a DX station come back with my callsign as I did back in 1992!

Yes I am well aware that they don't count. I plan on upgrading to General in the next several 6-12 months. Then plan on getting a HF for home use.

Howdy_All

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Question - did you have someone there - working 3rd party or were you working the HF on your own?

Just for the sake of asking, I'm going to.
You need to realize that you do not have any privileges as a amateur - using a club call sign beyond the privileges allocated to you by your license.

Unless you were working some type of event - there would be no reason for you to use the club call sign - other then to try to cheat the system and get on the HF without being properly licensed.

If you check your exam questions again - you will see that the only phone privileges you do have is on the 10 meters from 28.300 - 28.500 MHz USB..... Which is the most popular part of the entire 10 meters band.

The Technician Class License is only designed to be a stepping stone - to get your feet wet in amateur radio, not a stopping place.
You should be able to study for two weeks, read the General Class License Manual and the Part 97 manual and pass the General Class Exam. Its not any harder then passing the Technician Class License Exam. 35 multiple guess questions....

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Unless you were working some type of event - there would be no reason for you to use the club call sign - other then to try to cheat the system and get on the HF without being properly licensed.

You're kidding, right?

Using a club station call, while under the supervision of the appropriate class licensee, is not cheating the system. It's a chance for someone to learn , and there's nothing wrong with it.

You're 'Daniel_Boone" aren't you. You're giving out the same marginal or outright bad advice as you did under your previous handle. :roll:

N0IU

You need to realize that you do not have any privileges as a amateur - using a club call sign beyond the privileges allocated to you by your license.
And what is your callsign???

As long as the OP was using the club's callsign and as long as the trustee has General or Extra Privileges and was present or if someone else acting as the control operator of the station as designated by the trustee was there, what the OP did was 100% legal.

Accroding to Part 97:
§ 97.105 Control operator duties.
(b) A station may only be operated in the manner and to the extent permitted by the privileges authorized for the class of operator license held by the control operator.

This is the rule that allows anyone, licensed or not, to operate with Extra Class privileges during Field Day (assumng that the callsign being used belongs to an operator with Extra Class privileges).

This is also the rule that allows a station to operate a cross band repeater that allows VHF/UHF inputs to be transmitted on HF bands as long as the owner/trustee of the repeater has the appropriate HF privileges. After all, it is the repeater that is transmitting on HF, not the person accessing the repeater on VHF/UHF!

WX2CIB

To answer any and all questions, YES I was under the DIRECT supervision of a club memeber who is an EXTRA operator.

I understand I am still NEW to the hobby but I don't need anyone to shoot me down for experiementing with other privileges while under supervision of someone with a higher class. I have a pretty good understanding on the rules and regulations as to pertaining to what I have done. Are you also going to shoot me down for allowing my son, who is NOT licensed (YET), for getting the thrill of DX QSO's? We were at the clubhouse and the club member with the privileges asked if we'd like to listen to some HF and make contacts.

I had orgininally posted my QSO's because I was very excited to have made them. I guess from now on I will be more detailed on what I post.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I understand I am still NEW to the hobby but I don't need anyone to shoot me down for experiementing with other privileges while under supervision of someone with a higher class.

You did nothing wrong, and neither did the Extra class control operator. Or your son, either, for that matter...

Howdy_All has been previously banned under the name Daniel_Boone, and was notorious for giving out really bad advise.

WX2CIB

You did nothing wrong, and neither did the Extra class control operator. Or your son, either, for that matter...

Howdy_All has been previously banned under the name Daniel_Boone, and was notorious for giving out really bad advise.

Ahhh ok. Understood.

kc5uta

I just checked three different threads, randomly, and Howdy all was on all three badmouthing or lecturing. THAT'S not what we are all about. I know I am a noob here but it doesn't take me long to recognize that south end of a north bound donkey! Sounds to me like it's time to implore some negative moderator driven reinforcement. Count me in KC5UTA

Status
Not open for further replies.