My first mil scaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalebATC

Hi,

This is my first post here. I have been looking at military scanners for a long time, and finally got a chance to get a Pro-164.

I am a student pilot, and know about everything aviation. I have a VXA-220 from Vertex Standard. I have been using this for the past few years.

I live in Fort Myers, Florida (Venice, Naples, Cape Coral, 70MI S of Tampa). I have all the freqs to the Avon Park MOA. I also have all the ZMA ARTCC and KRSW APP/DEP/TWR frequencies for military and civil.

I havent been able to check it out because I am on vacation right now, but will be back the 11th or 12th. I was listening to ZTL ARTCC on military bands though. My peak of my house is about 30' or so. I can hear RSW app barely from my top porch with my VXA-220, standard antenna.

Since I got this PRO-164, where will be the BEST place for the scanner, listening on porch, out in street, or anywhere? I have 3 refueling tracks over my house, and have all the frequencies programmed already. Will the default antenna be able to pick these up? I am not new to aviation scanners, as I stated before with my VXA-220.

Also, do any of you live in SWFL and have any good frequencies that are not from the Avon Park MOA or from the aieral refueling areas.

Thanks in advance,
Caleb

N8IAA

Welcome Caleb:) Milair is a ton of fun when you have a lot of activity in your area. Where I live in GA, the air refueling routes give me the most listening. I also get a lot of COBB OPS. But, I digress, the best antenna I have ever used on a handheld is the Diamond RH-77CA. This is a dual band ham ht that is an outstanding scanner antenna. There are antennas out there specifically made for milair monitoring. I am sure that someone else will jump in with that info. Best base antenna I've used was a Radio Shack discone that was modified to take 3/8-24 threaded antennas for the vertical stinger. Used a lot of ham dual band verticals for milair. Again, there are other band specific antennas out there. The one place that sticks out the most is DPD Productions. He frequents radio reference.
HTH,
Larry

CalebATC

Welcome Caleb:) Milair is a ton of fun when you have a lot of activity in your area. Where I live in GA, the air refueling routes give me the most listening. I also get a lot of COBB OPS. But, I digress, the best antenna I have ever used on a handheld is the Diamond RH-77CA. This is a dual band ham ht that is an outstanding scanner antenna. There are antennas out there specifically made for milair monitoring. I am sure that someone else will jump in with that info. Best base antenna I've used was a Radio Shack discone that was modified to take 3/8-24 threaded antennas for the vertical stinger. Used a lot of ham dual band verticals for milair. Again, there are other band specific antennas out there. The one place that sticks out the most is DPD Productions. He frequents radio reference.
HTH,
Larry

Ok, thanks alot. How well should the standard antenna work for air refueling? Compared to my transciever, which is strictly made for VHF Aviation bands, it sucks! It is the antenna though, because I put the adapter to put my radio shack antenna on and that antenna sucks. Too bad they aren't interchangeable because of their connections.

I am in Blairsville, Georgia right now North east GA. I have been listening to the AR216 on 276.5 and 319.7. Since Saturday when I got the scanner, I haven't heard a peep on the channel. I got the freqs. From milaircomms.com., but they are from 2003, are there any new routes? Also, does anyone know The frequency for that one MOA in North Carolina that's to the south side?

Thanks again,
Caleb

P.S. I'm on my cell, sorry for any mistakes.

N8IAA

Caleb, if you go to the Wiki here on RR on the main screen, there is a section for milcoms. Another place to look is:
Home Click on Monitoring Times. There is a milcom blog with frequencies available. Larry Horn is very active in updating these. There is also some milcom groups you can Google. Post your questions in the Georgia forum. There are a lot of us who do monitor milcoms. Any dual band ham antenna will definitely out perform the stock duck that came with the radio. What RS antenna are your using? If it is the magmount that has two closed coils, it is not good at picking up milair.
HTH,
Larry

kcoleman

Welcome to Radio Reference Caleb!!

Sounds like you're in an area that is pretty active with milcoms. You might take a look at some of the Yahoo groups out there. One in particular that I follow is "RadioMonitors". There are a few guys that monitor the Avon range and MOA and surrounding area and they post much of their logs... this will be a good source of milcom frequencies.

You mentioned that you've already programmed in the ARTCC frequencies, if you are going to install an antenna outside, also take a look at some of the KZJX ARTCC frequencies that are within 150-200 miles from your location. Also using that same radius, check out sites like Airnav.com & Skyvector.com to see what airports/military facilities are around you... you never know what you might catch flying around your area.

Good Luck & Good Scanning,
Keith

CalebATC

Ok, thanks guys!

I have already found 4 ZTL frequencies, and I heard a C-130 doing "airwork" in the AR-52? I'D I'M NOT mistaken,sorry, I don't have any sectional maps with me atm.

When I get a new antenna, and mount it on the top of my house, it should stand at 35 ft or so.

If jacksonville has a transmitter near Tampa, id should be no problem, as i listen to the pilots on TPA APP all the time, but can't hear the atc.

Thanks,
Caleb

CalebATC

Ok, thanks guys!

I have already found 4 ZTL frequencies, and I heard a C-130 doing "airwork" in the AR-52? I'D I'M NOT mistaken,sorry, I don't have any sectional maps with me atm.

When I get a new antenna, and mount it on the top of my house, it should stand at 35 ft or so.

If jacksonville has a transmitter near Tampa, id should be no problem, as i listen to the pilots on TPA APP all the time, but can't hear the atc.

Thanks,
Caleb

Status
Not open for further replies.