My First Portable scanner less than $250?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rp2022

Framingham PD and FD are analog. The DPW is P25.
Framingham State College is still analog but most state colleges that became universities have switched to DMR or P25, so that may happen soon.
Around you, most towns are still fully analog, except for Sudbury PD , which are P25 and occasionally encrypted too.

So should I just get a cheap analog or get one that can do a P25 now?

rp2022

I really think instead of bouncing off the guard rails and playing catch you really need to stop!
You entered a Hobby that has tons of pieces and a 1 size fits all radio New out of the box is not going to fit.

Take a piece of paper and right down what do I want to listen too !
Look up frequencies and systems find out what they are - Analog or Digital AM FM FMN.
Feel free to ask questions but to just think them out. These guys have been in the hobby for years.
You can have fun with this stuff but you need to learn the lingo and tech
and start small and try used. There is no law that you have to own 1 radio or have a stack of them or how many SDR Dongles you have.
1 antenna or a farm of them.

Pete N1EXA

haha thanks, well.

1) I want to listen to my town and see how it goes from there as in testing out the waters. From what I've gathered it's Analog but might change to P25
2) Yes I need to learn the lingo and everything, Im currently using an app on my phone it gets the job done but i want a scanner and not use my phone incase the power goes out.
3) Thank you so much.

KEWB-N1EXA

Acushnet Heights Radio 740
Been doing this since the 1970s
I have a Uniden 125 for 500 analog channels police fire CMED airplanes, ships, trains and such

Then I have an old Uniden 396 for My city which is P25 along with Marthas Vinyard which just went p25 and analog zone 3 and 4 for state police.

Have a few UV5r Baofengs for ham radio and such...and then the home rigs.

each one has a purpose.

Say get your feet wet with the 125.. Why - well it has 500 channels - it has alpha tagging and you can dock it to a pc and load everything in.

500 Channels - I filled it fast... CMED alone was 40 plus channels for the state. Ad military and civilian aviation it goes fast.

Pete N1EXA

rp2022

Been doing this since the 1970s
I have a Uniden 125 for 500 analog channels police fire CMED airplanes, ships, trains and such

Then I have an old Uniden 396 for My city which is P25 along with Marthas Vinyard which just went p25 and analog zone 3 and 4 for state police.

Have a few UV5r Baofengs for ham radio and such...and then the home rigs.

each one has a purpose.

Say get your feet wet with the 125.. Why - well it has 500 channels - it has alpha tagging and you can dock it to a pc and load everything in.

500 Channels - I filled it fast... CMED alone was 40 plus channels for the state. Ad military and civilian aviation it goes fast.

Pete N1EXA

Thanks, I was looking into a Whistler ez scan 1080 or a WS 1040 used, Still don't know which one but thanks for your input

KEWB-N1EXA

Depends on what you want to do
I bought my 125 for $70 used on ebay and my 396 on ebay for $80 so there's $150 for 2

You buy a new 125 its around 100-125+ dollars buy a P25 Uniden new for around $275-300 it really is up to you.

With the 125 see if the bug bits you - Some people buy a radio and get tired of it fast other people get the bug and gravitate to porch lights at night !
I'm way beyond little yellow porch lights !

Pete N1EXA

gillham

Feed Provider
If you're looking to jump into a P25 Portable Scanner, someone posted, either here on RR or ScanNE a deal.

$370. The next step up would be a BCD436HP, followed by the SDS100. The learning curve is probably pretty steep on the BCD325P2, versus punching in a Zipcode on the 436 or SDS100.

If you're at all interested in listening to MSP, like others have said, they're going P25 II soon-ish (unless you want to hear Troop B, which is already P25 I).

Edit: sorry... just saw the $250 budget. The BC125AT is probably the ticket, unless you want to look for an older model used.

KEWB-N1EXA

we all got to start somewhere.
Was talking about the states P25 Phase 2 system.
They don't have the funds to build it out fast it will take years.
The state has thousands of radio's there in cars - hand helds and buildings. and rebuilding the trunk system.
throw in all the towns police and fire that want to be on the system too~
That's crawling over the $ billions mark fast over the next 10 years.

rp2022

@KEWB-N1EXA im looking into theses to start off with Whistler ez scan 1080 or a WS 1040 used I was told that the 1080 can do phase ll of P25 but I'm wondering if the 1040 can do the same? I just want to listen my local town and go from there.

@gillham Thank you yeah I think mass is going to be P25 soon ish but well see when. when will we know fully?

rp2022

Was talking about the states P25 Phase 2 system.
They don't have the funds to build it out fast it will take years.
The state has thousands of radio's there in cars - hand helds and buildings. and rebuilding the trunk system.
throw in all the towns police and fire that want to be on the system too~
That's crawling over the $ billions mark fast over the next 10 years.

Yeah makes sense its an expensive process cant do it over night

rp2022

@gillham wow so 3 years to dip my toes in and see whats what good to know thanks. Also is that Whistler ez scan 1080 or a WS 1040 good/ have you used them before?

KEWB-N1EXA

@KEWB-N1EXA im looking into theses to start off with Whistler ez scan 1080 or a WS 1040 used I was told that the 1080 can do phase ll of P25 but I'm wondering if the 1040 can do the same? I just want to listen my local town and go from there.

@gillham Thank you yeah I think mass is going to be P25 soon ish but well see when. when will we know fully?
Honestly I know nothing about Whistler Scanners - I'm a Uniden guy Love the 15X and 996 series but don't own any data base scanners
like the HP2, 536 series SDS 100 or 200.
That's another pack of wolves that handle that part of the hobby.

I'm a thumb bumping - freescan guy~

Pete N1EXA

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
@KEWB-N1EXA I think mass is going to be P25 soon ish but well see when. when will we know fully?

Mass is a big place. Aviation certainly isn't going digital anytime soon. Unless you mean the Mass State Police trunking system. Yes they're going to a digital system in the near future, system is being built out gradually. An analog only scanner will let you listen to many towns that haven't gone digital, also aviation and for the time being the state police as long as it can trunk. I would advise against spending more than $100 on an analog only scanner as they grow more obsolete with every passing year. Aviation buffs are in heaven though, tons of good analog scanners out there for dirt cheap now.

My opinion- I would say try to pick up a cheap analog only scanner on Ebay for now, see if you like it and what you like to listen to the most. If you go with a Uniden you need to pay extra separately add DMR, NXDN or Provoice so it gets pricey. Honestly DMR is the first one I'd buy myself. Massachusetts still has A LOT of analog to listen to.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I'll add that there is no reason to believe that all public safety in the state will be going onto the MSP part of CoMIRS. The Cape will almost certainly do so, and some agencies out in the western part of the state might.

I feel safe in saying that Boston public safety will not, although police and EMS will upgrade to P25 on existing frequencies. BFD will remain analog on UHF-T, with some TGs on 700Mhz overlay. There is some speculation that the city might build it's own P25 trunk, but it's speculation.

Other cities and towns will most likely upgrade on their existing frequencies as equipment replacement cycles continue. Fire departments in general will remain analog.

Mass is a big place. Aviation certainly isn't going digital anytime soon. Unless you mean the Mass State Police trunking system. Yes they're going to a digital system in the near future, system is being built out gradually. An analog only scanner will let you listen to many towns that haven't gone digital, also aviation and for the time being the state police as long as it can trunk. I would advise against spending more than $100 on an analog only scanner as they grow more obsolete with every passing year. Aviation buffs are in heaven though, tons of good analog scanners out there for dirt cheap now.

My opinion- I would say try to pick up a cheap analog only scanner on Ebay for now, see if you like it and what you like to listen to the most. If you go with a Uniden you need to pay extra separately add DMR, NXDN or Provoice so it gets pricey. Honestly DMR is the first one I'd buy myself. Massachusetts still has A LOT of analog to listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.