My First Post! Analog or Digital Systems or Both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deekster

Patience please as I have to start somewhere and I appreciate any info provided. This is without the best forum anywhere for scanner info. That's about all I know at the minute but the most important! I live in Seattle, WA and the Police & Fire are on trunked systems. TC:3344 is an example. I have done research and was told there is analog and digital systems. Are systems really eventually changing over to make getting a digital a smart buy? I don't even know if the Seattle Police & Fire is digital or analog yet. Is is worth getting a scanner that has both? Or is there the possibility I might only need one or the other? From what I have read it seems getting the scanner programmed is a better idea for a newbie than trying to program it myself? I am 62 years old and my last scanner was a Bearcat 101 (I think) 30 years ago. So, I am at a loss in this scanner world right now! I just got into the scanner research and would appreciate any help in suggesting a good scanner. So far I have come across Bearcat BCD396xt/BCD996xt and a couple of Radio Shack's handheld and desktop scanners. I would prefer a desktop model. prices so far range from $199.00 - $500.00 plus accessories.Thank you in advance, Deekster

N8IAA

Hey Deekster! Welcome to RR:) As of what is in the database, Seattle/King county is an analog trunked system. There is some federal stuff that might be interesting, but they are digital P-25. Snohomish is OpenSky and currently can't be monitored with any digital scanner on the market. My best advice is that you ask this question in the Washington Forum a bit further down the page. You will probably get better answers as to what is the current best scanner for your region. I remember the old 101. I used to use a 100XLT. This new crop of scanners is waaaay different than the old ones. They also do a lot more than the old ones. But, I still keep a couple around.
HTH

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Deekster,

As N8IAA mentioned, this might get better location specific info from the Washington Forum. Secondly, every digital model that I know of is analog capable also. It is true that everyone is going digital, sooner or later, so a digital scanner is probably going be the best bang for your buck for the future...

Welcome to RR and I must say, that's one of the better first posts I've seen. Enjoy your stay.

Deekster

Thanks to Everyone!

The first time I looked up the Washington site the last message was from 2007. Thanks for the link to the current one. I have posted this message overthere. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.