My First Post (GRE500 help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

timhir25

Premium Subscriber
First let me say hello to everyone. I just became a new member of Radio Reference. I have a Gre500 that I bought from AES here in Cleveland, Oh. Matt who works there is great. They set it all up for me and the scanner works great. However I would like to do it myself instead of running back to AES. Do I download software from the Radio Reference web service or do I have to buy it. Also which software is the most user friendly.

Tim

scannerboy01

Welcome to the Radio Reference Forums.:) There are many different types of software that you can buy to program your PSR-500. Some allow you to download information from the Radio Reference Database with a Premium Subscription which you already have. However, it is easy to program the PSR-500 by hand. That is how I programed mine because I got frustrated with the software. It might be a little bit confusing for the first few frequencies, but it will get easier once you program a few frequencies. I have programed one trunked system and it was a little bit complicated, but as I said it gets easier after awhile. An advantage to learning to program by hand is that if you learn about frequency when you aren't near your computer, you can immediately program it. Another advantage is that you will become more aquatinted with the PSR-500. Happy Scanning and Merry Christmas:)

captclint

Mentor
I find the opposite is true. The software helps you understand and utilize the features of the radio better. There are "tons" of set-up settings, as well as system and frequency settings that you may not realize, but the software tends to put the default condition on. You can look at all those settings and usually fine tune them(after using the radio and software for quite a while.). With software, you can upload the contents of the scanner to the software so you can see how AES set it up, and then just add to it.

Here's a list: Object Oriented Scanner Software While I don't have a GRE, I find software by Butel, ARC500, to be well worth the money. You will find the ARC500_User_Guide helpful. Others may prefer PSRedit500, but you can download each for a trial period and decide for yourself. Both will log onto this site, and download all or some of the frequencies and systems from your area. This saves hours of typing and usually sets up the correct parameters for trunking systems.

Last edited:

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Well congratulations on the new toy. I guess Santa couldn't wait.
I too have a 500 and 2 600's. desk top version of the 500. I use Win 500, a free 30 day trial so you can try before you buy. Download it, install it then use it to read what the guys programmed into it and it will help you understand first how the program itself is setup and then how to program and modify programming in your scanner. Most all the programming software packages offer a 30 day trial so try several and enjoy. I like the "Monitor" function in Win 500 a lot too. Let us know how you progress with it.

scannerboy01

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

You can also use the sample PC software that is on the CD-ROM that is included with the PSR-500. It really isn't much more than the display of the PSR-500 on the screen and the ability to program with the computer mouse. This is free software included with the purchase of the PSR-500.

Last edited:

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to Radio Reference.

Using software is easy and time saving,but it is fun to manually program your scanners to if you have the time.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The user friendly has to be decided by the user. Each of the "big three" pieces of software has its quirks, which suit different people better.

Try them all, then purchase a license for the one you like. The authors of all three frequent this system, and are typically good about answering questions.

jloriginal

Premium Subscriber
I have a psr500 and went through the same thing your going through jus a short while ago. You will find this RR comunity very helpful and friendly. After all of the suggestions I downloaded win500 and find it easy to upload frequencies to my scanner. Good luck & stick with it. Its a great hobby

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
You will want to read (and reread) and bookmark this site: Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

Another well-used piece of programming software is Don Starr's WIN500. I've used a variety of his programs over the years and find it useful to my needs. WIN500 has a 30-day free trial period, during which the software is fully functional, and costs $35 to register. You can find it here: Win500: PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-106, PRO-197, PSR-310, PSR-410 Scanner Software for Data Management, Monitoring, and Control

Welcome aboard, Tim

timhir25

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to take time to say thank you for the information you you send to my question. The Easier to Read manual for the GRE500 is great. I haven't made up my mind yet on software.

Merry Christmas
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.