• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

My first sideband contact!

rixdafix

Hello from St Louis, MO.

I've been an on again off again CB enthusiast for the last 45 years. I always just toyed around with stock AM mobile rigs. A couple of weeks ago I scored my first sideband unit, a Gemtronics GTX-77 in really nice condition. The radio appears to have never been tinkered with and I intend on keeping it absolutely stock. I've got it connected to a four foot firestik mounted on the fender of my Cherokee. SWR is excellent across the band. With skip ramping up, I've heard very good audio from some very distant stations. I call CQ from time to time not expecting any response but the other morning I got a call back from a local about 20 miles away. While this is certainly no DX contact, it confirmed that the SSB function of the radio is at least "working" and hey, it was my first sideband contact ever!

I am so completely addicted now.

I really enjoy field operations as I camp and overland quite a bit and expedient antennas interest me very much. I found plans for a quarter wave ground plane antenna and got all the bits together to make it happen. I'm using 12awg thhn stranded wire, 103" radiator, 116" radials (four) all soldered to a panel mount SO-239. I'm using 1/2 x 3/4" pine trim boards to create two spreader bars 165" long arranged in a cross with the radials anchored at the ends which should get the radials pretty close to 43 degrees. I'm going to use one rope to lift the spreader bar and another to lift the wire as I don't want to stress the SO-239 insulator or center pin solder joint too much. From what I've researched, I'll want the bottom of the ground radials hanging about 8 to 9 feet off the ground or higher than about 54 feet, but not in between, for optimal performance. I was going to test it today but we have 50 mph wind gusts forecast so yeah uh no. I'll post a couple of photos once I do get it deployed.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself, share my experience, vintage equipment score, and first ever SSB contact!

561 St Louis clear...

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
I would love to try CB sideband. The radios are priced way more than I would want to spend, however. Maybe I will get lucky at a garage sale, but all I find are old baby clothes and toys!

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Used to love shooting skip back in the day. Late 90’s, had a Cherokee hand held with a super long cb antenna. Was able to talk to Alaska from Minnesota in the evening. Conditions were great then. Think my favorite base station was a Cobra 2000GTL. To bad no one is making good base stations anymore. Would consider getting back into it if I found a good base station. The good ol days.