My Freecycle and Goodwill Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyRick

This is my secondary shack. My XYL and I are both into frugal living (glad I wasn't doing that when I set up my ham shack!!!!) and I decided to see what I could do frugally. Here is a start. Picture is below, and I'll also do a rundown and cost per item.

Glass topped computer desk, Freecycle, free.
Springfield WX station, Freecycle, free. (They said it didn't work, just needed the battery contacts cleaned)
Cobra FRS radios, flea market, $5.00
Radio Shack Xtal Scanner, Goodwill store, $6.50
JVC RX5R receiver, Freecycle, Free. I use it for FM dxing.
Realistic PRO-97 scanner, Salvation Army Store, $20.00
Coby portable shortwave receiver, Freecycle, free
Realistic Weather Radio, Goodwill Store, $5.00
Radio Shack DX-150 receiver, Craigs List, $20.00 (BTW>>I LOVE this radio!!)

Attachments

• DSC00186.jpg
    DSC00186.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 2,412
Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Looks snazzy, wish I had the space in my dorm for that. I'm pretty jealous that you've got all that equipment for so little.

IndyRick

Thanks! It took me a LOT of poking around the 2nd hand stores to find that...but...every once in a while, something good pops up. :)

cdesigns

Hmm I might hit the salvation army and godwill stores once in a while to see what I find, so far I find very nice stuff on my local pawn shops, but not as good as this.

IndyRick

cdesigns, how are the prices in the pawn shops where you are? Here in Indy, the one's I've been to seem to ask near-new prices for everything.

cdesigns

cdesigns, how are the prices in the pawn shops where you are? Here in Indy, the one's I've been to seem to ask near-new prices for everything.

One of my best deals I have found was on a local family own pawn shop. Aparently they had several ham equipment for about 2-3 years, they were marked almost to normal retail prices, I ask the owner how much he can sell me a Yaesu 2m mobile radio he had there and he gave me a 50% off the price and I sais nice I will take it, when I was ready to pay he told me he can give me a super price on all the ham gear he had there.

Let's say I got all this for $190 and sold them on ebay for more than $1200

Sporty SP200 Airband radio
Drake SW8 Receiver
Yaesu FT-1500M mobile radio
Yaesu FT-11R with accesories
Radio Shack Scanner (forgot the model)

Other good place to buy is on Cash America pawn shop, you have the option to return what you buy and get your money back if it doesn't work.

Deals I have found on Cash America:

Pro-163 - $60
Pro-197 - $200 Brand new
(2)Motorola CP120 $90 each Brand new
I have bought lots of scanners and radios at very low prices.

One of my best deals was a Marine GPS plotter that I got for $40 becuase they though because it had a big case and it was bulky, they though it was an OLD CAR GPS so they sell it to me for $40 and it was new in box, never used ( I sold this on ebay for $700)

Here is a little secret on how you can negotiate prices on Cash America. On the sticker price they have several letters on the right side of the sticker, that's the price they paid. The key word is MARYLOUISE

M=1
A=2
R=3
Y=4
L=5
O=6
U=7
I=8
S=9
E=0

Here are some examples of the prices they paid and their code: AEEE=$20.00, MLEE=$15.00, YLEE=$45.00

By knowing the price they paid you can negotiate, but don't ever tell them you know how much they paid :D

Status
Not open for further replies.