My future antenna plans. Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewGS

Hello all, KD5FHW, Andrew here.

I just moved in with my grandmother following the passing of my grandfather. At my previous home I used an Alpha Delta DX-LB Plus all-band fan dipole just above the roof of the house for HF and a Comet GP-15 mounted on the chimney for VHF/UHF duties. This setup worked pretty well with my 100W radios, but it was a compromise due to lot size and layout. Well, I'm now planning a new station here at this home but I face even tougher space restrictions, so I'm looking at going vertical for HF.

I've looked at verticals before but I was always put off by the requirement for radials, which I know makes any vertical work or work better, but I'm unable to install them. I recently came across the GAP Titan DX which, of course, requires no radials, at least, that's the claim. I've read lots of reviews and understand it's a compromise antenna, but any antenna is better than no antenna. My plan is to install the Titan DX atop the highest peak on the house and guy it to three points just above the insulator. I'm also planning to install a Diamond X700HNA on the opposite peak for VHF/UHF as well as a Diamond D3000N for my scanner and an M2 6M HO Loop just below it on a mast secured to the peak on the south of the house. Grounding would be #6 solid copper from the base of the antennas across and over the side of the roof with a common ground for antennas and feedline on the south side of the house. I also plan to use a DX Engineering choke balun on the GAP.

Here's an illustration of my plans:

IMG_1097copy_zpsf295375c.jpg

I'm looking at running about 600W into the GAP at times if there's any special considerations there.

I'm basically looking for you more experienced hams to give me some guidance and suggestions on my proposed install. Is there a better (or any) antenna that requires no radials to at least get me on the air?

LtDoc

Depending on the bands you want to use, and how friendly the neighbors are, there appear to be several trees that would support a simple dipole. They do work.
Your proposed placement should work. Attaching mounts to a roof isn't something I'm particularly happy with, so that's up to you, you know?
As for those radials and 'Gap' antennas, while they may be 'adequate' without radials or a ground system, I know they would be better with them. I hate to mess with radials but they certainly do make a difference. Oh well, if it were easy it wouldn't be any fun, right?
Good luck.
- 'Doc

Andrew,

I would suggest you take a good look at the Cushcraft R9 antenna.
It's a "no radial" antenna.

They also make the R8 antenna which has less features.

Good luck and best 73.

AndrewGS

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I appreciate it.

Depending on the bands you want to use, and how friendly the neighbors are, there appear to be several trees that would support a simple dipole. They do work.
Your proposed placement should work. Attaching mounts to a roof isn't something I'm particularly happy with, so that's up to you, you know?
As for those radials and 'Gap' antennas, while they may be 'adequate' without radials or a ground system, I know they would be better with them. I hate to mess with radials but they certainly do make a difference. Oh well, if it were easy it wouldn't be any fun, right?
Good luck.
- 'Doc

I'd love to get a fan dipole in the trees, but only one tree is accessible as the others are all several houses away. I'd also have issues getting the feedline into the house where I need it unless I made a really long run.

Good idea though.

Andrew,

I would suggest you take a good look at the Cushcraft R9 antenna.
It's a "no radial" antenna.

They also make the R8 antenna which has less features.

Good luck and best 73.

I really like the look of the R-9. It's instructions and build quality seem great, but there are quite a few more dissatisfied customers on that antenna than the Titan, at least on eham. Then there's the price! I have thought about it though.

I've also given lots of thought to MFJ's 1798 vertical, but there seem to be quality issues with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.