My future PSR-500

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbro298

Going to purchase a new PSR-500 very shortly.What i need to know is what extras will be needed to get the maximum programming from the scanner ( mostly police,fire,ems,some aircraft) such as downloads,antennas,etc. Any advise will be helpful.I am a rookie and i will need it

Highpockets

Going to purchase a new PSR-500 very shortly.What i need to know is what extras will be needed to get the maximum programming from the scanner ( mostly police,fire,ems,some aircraft) such as downloads,antennas,etc. Any advise will be helpful.I am a rookie and i will need it

It helps if we know where you live to help with programing, State, County, City, and any special systems you want to listen to. You should also check into getting software to program the scanner, it makes things allot easier. I'll post a link for the software I use, there is another or two. I would first try the antenna that comes with the scanner, then go from there if your not satified with what you receive. There are articles in thw wiki section here that will help with software, antennas, etc. Enjoy!

http://www.starrsoft.com/software/win500/default.asp

cbro298

Future PSR-500

Do you program the PSR-500 with manual programming along with downloads? What do the downloads give you access to? I cannot pick up Greenville SC city police,fire nothing. This how i came to the 500.Do the downloads give you access to yuor town or city? Sorry to be a pain just looking for info.Thank you for the link!

Highpockets

Do you program the PSR-500 with manual programming along with downloads? What do the downloads give you access to? I cannot pick up Greenville SC city police,fire nothing. This how i came to the 500.Do the downloads give you access to yuor town or city? Sorry to be a pain just looking for info.Thank you for the link!

Premium Subscription here will let you with the software & cable download the systems, frequencies, you want into the program, where you can edit, add, delete, rearange what ever you want, save it to a file. You can then upload that file into the scanner, that is much easier then doing it all by hand. You can go back to that file anytime to change, add or whatever, upload to scanner, and your scanning again.

mikey60

cbro298

Ok i am trying to grasp the download deal.If i pay the 30.00 for the premium membership i understand i will have acess to free downloads for 30 days,What happens after the 30 days.Are there multiple downloads? After 30 days will i have to shell out more money for downloads? Example Scannermaster will sell me the 500 plus for an additional money they will sell me these items. Home town programming 69.95 and a software option ARC500 33.95.Is this legit or a waste of money?

qlajlu

Silent Key
...Scannermaster will sell me the 500 plus for an additional money they will sell me these items. Home town programming 69.95 and a software option ARC500 33.95.Is this legit or a waste of money?
I'm glad you asked that question, cbro298. I'm looking at the PSR-600 but I don't understand the Home Town programming. Does that mean that you tell Scanner Master where you live and they preload the scanner with "objects" in your listening area?

EDIT:
Well, DUH! All I had to do was read the Web site and my question was answered. I dunno. I figure programming it myself with the help of some software would be worth saving $70. Besides, then I would know what I had in the unit and/or could customize it to my desires right off the bat rather than going in and moving things around to my liking.

Even if I did let them preload the scanner, I would eventually have to learn how to do things myself, so why not start from scratch. They say the best way to learn you way around a place is to get lost right off the bat. By the time you find you way out, you know all kinds of land marks to watch for. Holds true in programming a new scanner.

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
If you mean download from one of twenty V-Scanner folders, Greenville is not listed.

Download using one of the three software's and a premium subscription to RR is an option but you can get a lot of help from members in your area of SC. Especially if you use one of the three software's. Also, one of the software developers is in this thread and each software has a forum in RR and the three developers constantly review and provide great assistance in their respective forum. Each developer runs a Yahoo group also.

My bet is any pre-programmed scanner will require changes to meet your scanning needs, thus 70 bucks may be an expensive venture if you end up making several changes anyway. 30 bucks for software is for life.

cbro298

My new PSR-500

I have to get the 500 to pick up the Palmetto 800 to pick up city pd,some fire and other agencies.Now i have a Uniden BC95XLT that picks up mostly gville county signals only.My question is that will the 500 also pick up gville county freqencies that i receive now, along with the additional gville SD freqencies that are going to be possibly added with the palmetto 800.Or will i have to have both scanners to pick up all the action.Example Gville SD that i pick up on the BC95XLT,which i assume that is not on Palmetto 800,will also be able to be picked up on the 500?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
My question is that will the 500 also pick up gville county freqencies that i receive now, along with the additional gville SD freqencies that are going to be possibly added with the palmetto 800.Or will i have to have both scanners to pick up all the action.Example Gville SD that i pick up on the BC95XLT,which i assume that is not on Palmetto 800,will also be able to be picked up on the 500?
Most of the SD are simulcast in Palmetto talkgroups -- note channel 1 through 7 in Palmetto are the same as the conventional listing channel 1 through 7 so don't know if there is a need to program the conventional freqs. It appears Fire and EMS are also simulcast.

However, the conventional freqs can be programmed as CONV Objects including squelch tones but my choice would be trunking via Palmetto. If you do program the conventionals, I'd certainly use a separate scanlist.

cbro298

My new PSR 500

I am getting ready to order the 500 at the 414.00 price.It is just too good of a deal.When i comes to the WIN download i have to admit that i DREAD the heck out of it.I just get too many mixed reviews about the ease or how big a headache it will be.Is there any info that we can call Digital scanning for DUMMIES that can be accessed in a step by step way that helps out the process

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Unfortunately no one has written anything up for trunking with the GRE scanners for the wiki as yet. I'm sure you're not alone in wanting something like that. An 'easier to read' series of articles would be a valuable addition, I have no doubt

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.