My Icom V8000 as a railroad radio....

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I love the V8000. They have nice front ends in them.
I'll test from time to time by using the 7 NOAA weather frequencies.
I can often here a station on all 7 channels with the V8000 while a good receiver like an Icom R9000 or R7000 will still hear the signal but often not as good as the V8000 does.
Most of my scanners will just be white noise on the weak signals that the V8000 can hear. The Icom R2500 also has a front end about as good as the V8000 I've found.

I'm sure my R7000 and R9000 could get the signals as good if I felt like aligning them again but I'm getting ready to recap both here soon so the alignment will wait until that job is complete!
Both the R7000 and R9000 are old radios now and many of the electrolytic caps have dried out in them after all the years so they do change over time as far as reception goes. They will still do a much better job than most modern day scanners can do even with dried out caps.

I also mainly use my V8000 for rail monitoring here!

ecollins11

Premium Subscriber
I need to get a V8000 soon, At the moment I am using a ICOM V82 as a portable railroad radio with a speaker mic . I did have a Kenwood Tk-730 160 ch 45 watt Railroad radio it had 25 watts of audio an it was loud I had it mobile ..

Nasby

I'm glad you guys like your V8000's. My experience with it was different though. I found that while it was sensitive, it suffered terribly from intermod and birdies throughout much of the railroad band. I ended up selling it because it was unbearable. Plus, I live in the country with very few nearby transmitters.
However, the Icom ICV8 is an awesome handheld for picking up rail traffic.

jaymatt1978

Very nice!!! I also like that you posted the frequencies in the comments section, very few people remember to do that!!

Status
Not open for further replies.