My last hope.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

txscan

of I am using the 2500mah rechargeable enercells with a 15 minute fast charger. do you think this can be my problem with only getting about 4 hour battery life? I have already changed the voltage settings in the software to the ones people are using here on RR.

let me know

jgervais83

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried Sanyo/eneloop brand? Sanyo has always made very good NiMH batteries, I use them in my scanners and even if the sets I own have more than 5 years I can get my units working more than 24 hours.

Also I'm not a fan of 15 minutes charger, in my case I use a Lacrosse BC-900 charger set to 200mAh for recharge.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
of I am using the 2500mah rechargeable enercells with a 15 minute fast charger. do you think this can be my problem with only getting about 4 hour battery life? I have already changed the voltage settings in the software to the ones people are using here on RR.

let me know

Fast chargers are notorious for killing ni-mh and even li-ion cells! Why do you think they sell the fast chargers with every set of 4 ?? So they can bleed you for another set after only a few hundred charge cycles!
Those hi capacity cells should be charged at no more than about 50ma. per hour if you want them to last, just my experiences with them. But of course the package won't tell you this either.
Granted, it may take 14-16hours for a full charge per set, but that's why keeping 3-4 sets on hand will ensure that you have a properly conditioned set on hand.

n9zas

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
It could be the fast (15 min) charger and I use about a two hour charger and can get 8 hours on Duracell 2450mAH from Walmart at $10.00 for a pack of 4.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yeah fast chargers are a convenience I admit, but your batteries will die an early death,lol.

n9zas

bigsky109

Bought a set from SAMS the "ENERGIZER" ones and they last me over 12 hours continuous. I also use the recharger that comes with the batteries and it is a slow charger. So far so good.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I'll add my voice to the anti-fast charge. I use 2500mAh Maha cells, and normally charge them in a stand-alone charger. (Which charges each cell as an individual, which is also from Maha.) During the first five-ish months of each set's use, I can get 8 to 12 hours of use in my PSR-500, per full charge.

The charger's instructions suggest charge and discharge settings, which seem to work well.

Last edited:

jackj

If you want to get the longest life out of your cells then you will charge them at 0.1 times cell capacity. A 2500 mAh cell would be charged at 250 mA. This charge rate will give you the maximum number of recharges. This rate will come the closest to give you 100% recharge vs the 80-85% that a 15 minute charger will give.

SCPD

QRT
I'm also now a "no-go" on those 15-minute chargers. I have two slow chargers that charge in either 6 or 8 hours and I have about 3-4 sets of batteries (4-pack) and I never really go without batteries for my scanner. They last a LOT longer too if you slow charge them vs fast--in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.