My latest flea market treasure find....

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
It never fails to amaze me what one can find at a flea market. I own a lot of scanners. The only crystal scanner I own is my Pro-48 10 channel. I will tell you that I dont hunt down or look for crystal scanners as a general rule. Nothing bad for those who do, Its just not something I collect. Well, today my family and I were at a local weekly flea market that we visit often. I have never come across a scanner of any kind in the 8 or so years we have been going there. Well that has all changed. I was wondering around looking for meaningless things like wrenches or screw drivers ect...I came across a radio that just blew me away.
It is a Sears brand 10 channel crystal scanner. At first I just looked at it for the heck of it. Then I started to realize that this thing is from about 1982, in mint shape with very minor wear, in its original box, with the manual, AC and DC cables, original antennas that were in better shape than sone of the telescopics I have at home. I could not believe it. The guy got it at an estate sale from "an old guy who died and his family was selling all his radios". I tried not to let on that I thought this radio was a gem. I asked him how much he was asking for it and I nearly passed out when he said " just give me 10 bucks." You have NEVER seen a guy pull out money out of his wallet faster than me at that moment. Anyway, enough talking, here are the pictures. Please, if anyone knows anything about who made this for Sears or the history of Sears scanners , let me know. Otherwise, tell me what you think! By the way, I took it home and tested it. It works flawlessly. It came with 4 crystals one of which was the local NOAA weather channel on 162.400.

http://community.webshots.com/album/565514603wpoEda

Manny

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
It's become a mystery......

Thanks!
Its funny. Since I posted this, I have been looking around the internet for information on this radio and I cannot find one single piece of information what so ever on it. NONE! Its as if this thing never existed. I know the radio uses 10.7 IF crystals which are common. I even went to places like rigpix and nothing. Very strange. I wonder if it's possible that they were not made for long or in limitted quantity or something. In that case, it makes the find even worth that much more to me.

Manny

tactcom42

Premium Subscriber
Nice scanner.But I like your pro-2006 project better.can you give more info on that box I seen on webshots.Those are very nice meters.I added a signal meter to my pro-2042 and it works great for yagi testing.those look like they came from a nice hf rig at one time.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
You pegged it. The meters are from an Icom 756 HF radio. I ordered them directly from Icom. I had a friend build the entire thing to my specs. about 4 years ago. Only top notch parts were used. I have lost contact with him and I dont know how to troubleshoot the darn thing. it cost me almost $400 to build. It is a tribute to Bill Cheek, who wrote the scanner mod books. I have been toying with the idea of selling it either alone or as a package with the Pro-2006. I dont know what if anything I am going to do with it at this point. They both work as do the digital lights. One meter is signal, the other center tune or +/- 5 KHZ.

Manny

tactcom42

Premium Subscriber
those meter's are where all the money went!!! I love homebrewing and building.that caught my eye while looking at the sears scanner.I get alot of my meters from old cb's disected for parts.I have 2 of bill's books.there great to have.

DaveH

Thanks!
Its funny. Since I posted this, I have been looking around the internet for information on this radio and I cannot find one single piece of information what so ever on it. NONE! Its as if this thing never existed. I know the radio uses 10.7 IF crystals which are common. I even went to places like rigpix and nothing. Very strange. I wonder if it's possible that they were not made for long or in limitted quantity or something. In that case, it makes the find even worth that much more to me.

Manny

Have you checked the Yahoo "Vintage Scanners" group? Someone there might be
able to help.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintagescanners/

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.