My little corner of heaven

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
To the OP;

What's the panel with the gray box and yellow box, right next to the chair? Love your setup; puts me in mind of the setup I had at my old townhouse, where half the basement was hamshack, most of the rest was darkroom, and about 10% was laundry room.

My first commercial receiver was a DX150A bought with my first few pays. That would have been 1971/1972.

Used to listen to SKYKING broadcasts and I think B52's ex Guam & VN.

Ah yes, SKYKING broadcasts on 11175 upper (11176 back in the day). I used to have an R392 that I left parked on 11175 or 8992 depending on time of day. I could then sit there and surf the bands on the DX160 or any of my other radios and not miss anything on 11175 (not that what I heard meant anything). Sure was pretty cool to hear the aircraft with "REACH" call signs calling Andrews with enroute traffic.

mkh

I too started my radio journey on a DX-160 back in the mid seventies. But I had issues with learning code so I didn't get my ham ticket until 2006. Added my General in 2007. Finally going to start studying for my Extra. I'm retired now and setting my shack back up.

But listening to the Voice of the Andes out of Quito Ecuador is still one of my fondest memories. Sadly they are no longer on shortwave.

Radioman77

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the slow reply been busy. It is an IOTA 30 amp and Samlex 35 amp power supply with 2 -72 amp hr optima batteries behind

danesgs

It might be the angle but it looks like the DX-150 and 150A case was slightly larger. Yes they would drift until they warmed up but it was minor. Used mine in the early 1980's chasing beacons as a LWCA member. Was really into VLF as well but never had the money for a VLF rig. Did a lot of experiments with building ELF passive receivers and such. Fond memories. The other thought was for such a large radio, the DX-160 did not weigh very much which was great and it ran off AC or 12 volts. You can imagine me sitting with one on the passenger side of a Ford Pinto at 2 AM with the home brew box loop on the hood of the car about the time the FF county PD showed up. I guess he must have thought me a pretty hard core radio desperado to be that open about my hobby; luckily I also lived there so he just let me off with a warning of suspicious nosy neighbors and I packed it in for the night. Ah! back in the day when signals were analog!!!!!

Radioman77

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to both it took a while. I used old car radio's in the early '70's and then my brother bought his 150b.

PRMII

Premium Subscriber
My first commercial receiver was a DX150A bought with my first few pays. That would have been 1971/1972.

Used to listen to SKYKING broadcasts and I think B52's ex Guam & VN.
I bought mine around the same time. I was stationed at Laughlin AFB in Del Rio, Tx. iIfe and I went to San Antonio to shop after we got the BIG pay raise in '72. We were in a mall where a Radio Shack was, and they had them on clearance. I grabbed it, and later bought the external speaker. Was very disappointed, because by the time I got off duty and got a chance to listen, XERF had boosted their power, and washed the front end out... Thanks Wolfman!! Once I got back from VN, I was able to use it Stateside where there were no Mexican stations to interfere, and really enjoyed it. My little brother has it now.
N5XMV

KB4MTO

Premium Subscriber
Beautiful shack. I'm just starting to redo mine.

Just out of curiosity, what is your antenna arrangement for all of the shortwave receivers?

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Ahhh yes, the old Radio Shack DX-160! I also drooled and saved for that radio. Back in the day with all the boomer stations like Radio Nederland, Deutsche Welle it was a fun rig. I especially liked the fact that it could pick up the Hams on SSB.

Radioman77

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the late reply. I use a mix of my HF antenna's 80 m loop, Hustler vertical,triband yagi, 40 meter rotatable dipole and a g5rv. The DX 160 is as close to the DX150 b I had that my brother built a digital display for. It was my second shortwave the S-53 was my first.

Status
Not open for further replies.