My new 2011 4Runner set up

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
I wanted an accessories bar on my dash that would allow me to customize various holders (scanner, phone, camera, etc) so I decided to Frankenstein something that would suit me. After a little "research" I found an Aluminum Extrusion Rail (designed for 3D printer frames) would suit my fine. It is 4 sided with t-slot that run the length of each side, allowing for multiple mounts that can be moved side-to-side as needed.

I mounted the rail on two L brackets that I screwed to the underside of the dash pad.
01.1.jpg

I ran the speaker wires down the inside of the dash, then under the center console.
02.1.jpg

At the rear of the console was a nice little recessed area that was perfect for putting all the excess wires (including the wire for the power to the accessory outlet that comes next).
03.1.jpg

I mounted the accessory outlets (for powering the 2 Bearcat BC23A speakers) to the underside of my armrest. This outlet is wired directly to the fuse box under the hood because the 4Runner does not have any outlets that stay hot when the vehicle is turned off. I ran the power wire side-by-side with the speaker wires as far as the dash, then out through a hole in the firewall, to the fuse box. The outlets have their own on/off switch, which make it easy to quickly turn off the speakers when needed. I got the accessory "box" from Amazon a few years ago, but they are no longer available there.
06.1.jpg

The speaker wires (audio & power) were then run up the back of my drivers seat, attached to a molle panel, to the two speakers.
04.1.jpg

The speakers are attached to a generic radio bracket, which itself is screwed into a "handle thingy" which hangs on the bars of the headrest. I have two speakers to run separate scanners during those times when I am running more than one. When I am using only one scanner, I have a Y-splitter that feed to a single plug.

05.1.jpg

I ran the Antenna cable from the roof, down the inside of the weather stripping (and no, the door has not cut the wire...probably because that door is rarely used).
07.1.jpg ~~08.1.jpg

The antenna wire runs down the door frame, then under the plastic molding from the backseat, under the drivers side door, then out under the dash, fed across (under the dash) to the center console then up to the scanner mount, next to the 3.5mm speaker plugs. (forgot to take a pics of this part)

(continued)

Last edited:

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
(continued from first post)

The new bar is attached to the L-brackets with sliding t-nuts and thumb-screw knobs. I also added two rubber feet to the bar to keep it from bouncing around at speed, or on rough roads/terrain.
09.1.jpg

Attachments for the mount are various cell phone crap I had laying around, as well as some Ram Mount pieces. I used a re-purposed cell phone mount to hang the actual scanner from.
10.1.jpg

Final product:
11.1.jpg

12.1.jpg

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Well done on the interior! Looks neat and clean after you got everything buttoned back up. Creative way to get exactly what you wanted!

As always, I would encourage a drilled NMO mount in the roof antenna for an even cleaner look but that's just me.