My new BCD 996XT&A GPS-K?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forz

I have now owned a Uniden BCD 996XT,proudly,for almost 2 weeks now. Embarrassingly I have not figured out how to run this scanner.I work 7 days a week and try to read a little more each day on how to program it for while at home in New Hampshire, and at work in Northern Massachusetts. I want to know as much info as I can about this scanner and how to program and use it but still know very little due to not comprehending/understanding a lot about it.

I am used to the programming.use of the analog scanners. i just pulled my scanner out of my closet in the last year (and bought another analog to travel with me to and from work). outside of that i am just not good with some things and this scanner is one of them. when i ask someone to explain something to me i sometimes have to tell them to explain it to me as if they were explaining it to a mentally challenged 8year old (not trying to offend anyone).I say this because my level of comprehension is not very high and i just don't take speaking directions well, i do better having it shown by doing.

QUESTION- I have the BCD 996XT and am soon going to have a friend help me program it.In the meantime I am wondering if I bought this GPS-K and connected it to my scanner would I somewhat still be in the same boat.Or will this GPS device pull up the systems in the area and begin scanning.

I just don't know if there is more programming even with the GPS-K, and if so is it self explanatory(will i be prompted to do certain actions on the panel of the scanner). will this GPS-K help me since I don't know my backside from my elbow, or will i still be stuck and in need of the assistance of someone with connected brain cells?

Again,I thank everyone for being so helpful and offering their knowledge and experience to people like myself that lack it in this area.see ya's on the boards!! -Forz/Scott-

JamesO

The GPS-K will not help with programming or receiving on your 996XT. The 996XT does not really have a internal database like the Home Patrol 1 or the 346/546HP units.

If you do not have software and a cable to program the scanner, you will be fighting an uphill battle. You CAN program these scanners by hand, this is is SLOW and time consuming.

Free Scan or Butel Software are the 2 main programs most use. Also if you have a newer computer, it likely will not have a serial port and you will either need a USB to Serial adapter, but easier just to purchase a USB programming cable from ebay like this one - Scanner Radio PC Interface FTDI USB Cable for Uniden Bearcat USB 1 | eBay

The biggest problem with these scanners is to understand how to access the Quick Groups.

Also check this out - Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual

Hope this helps.

awattam

Youre just over the river from me of you ever need any help with programming for Nashua and surrounding towns. I too have the BCD996xt, Freescan and the programming cable.

Forz

sorry, i failed to mention that i have the cable that connects my scanner to my USB on my laptop. but i wouldn't have a problem manually programming my scanner. i do have a lot of down time at work where I do things like add more inventory to my eBay listings, read, and what not. so programming it manually would be fine by me if i knew how.

i have the Free Scan and got to import like 8 different frequencies and that is all i could get out of that program. there was an option to get frequencies from RadioReference.com but i'd have to upgrade to Premium membership and right now i am not in the position to do that because I am not sure if i should get this GPS-K. if there is a purpose for this GPS-K then i would want to add it to my scanner so i have it. but if it is almost useless for me and my scanner then i'll hold off and.......hold on, i just opened a new window to read the rest of the informative reply and then saw awattam's reply- after today i go on vacation until next Friday. i would gladly come over, with lunch and some pops,if you drink beer(i don't because of medical crap). but if you could help me and maybe see if i could understand things about this scanner a little better, i would be so grateful, really. you name the day/night and time, and the where you'd like me to pick up lunch/dinner from and i'll be there.

i just feel lost and any help you could offer would be excellent. also, i have the programming cable and Free Scan. maybe i just haven't looked thoroughly enough through Free Scan? i don't know but i'll open it back up right now and see what's in there.

awattam i'll send you a PM with my cell number. you can call or text me any time. im up early and awake til late usually every night(trying to maintain eBay business along with working-eBay business is small potatoes though).
Thank you and look forward to hearing back from you about this. it's just not like programming the old scanners (which i still listen to-two of them).Thanks-Scott

JamesO

^+1

I would take up the offer above to program your radio, only a few minutes if the OP can just dump his file to your radio.

At least you will have something working and to listen to while you figure out how to use the radio.

awattam

Forz, if you let me know what systems you plan on scanning, I can set up a freescan file in advance and put them on your scanner. Like JamesO said, I will at least get you started and able to play with the scanner that day and then you can add or subtract as you need.

I have all sorts of useful (or useless) frequencies stored on mine, not just police or fire.

Forz

Forz, if you let me know what systems you plan on scanning, I can set up a freescan file in advance and put them on your scanner. Like JamesO said, I will at least get you started and able to play with the scanner that day and then you can add or subtract as you need.

I have all sorts of useful (or useless) frequencies stored on mine, not just police or fire.

thank you,i really do appreciate this. when you ask me to tell you which systems - do you mean like,

New Hampshire - Litchfield/Manchester/Hudson/Nashua - PD&Fire&EMT's&MHT&State PD&Sheriff

Massachuestts: Chelmsford/Lowell/Westford - PD&Fire&EMT's&State PD&Sheriff

is that what you mean because with the new terminology in the instructions for the scanners i am not sure.

also,i only mention those towns/services that i know are close to me which is because i don't know how far the scanner will receive from. if it can pick up signals from further away then i would like to have them on my scanner. i would like any frequency that is active, in my listening set-up. i've been listening to what i believe to be taxi service or something like that. i found out how to scan some of the bands that are pre-installed.
i have a lot of time where i am where/when i am sitting at my desk posting listings on eBay and don't have the tv on and i just want to listen to the scanner,regardless of the broadcast. i just want to hear something while doing work from home. i even enjoy listening to the broadcasts from the planes coming in and going out from MHT which is literally 8miles from me.

all right,i write way too much. all of my friends tell me to tone it down and write less lol. oh, i was wondering if you might give me a minute of your time to see if i might be able to do a quick tutorial with you on how to add to my scanner. i am currently looking for a new job and it may involve driving/traveling to different states so i would like to be able to set the scanner up so it will pick up the broadcasts as i drive through different counties/states/towns/cities etc.... that's also where i ask if i might be a candidate for the purchase of that GPS-K. could i have the scanner connected to my laptop while traveling and have my laptop connected to my hotspot through my phone to get the same results of the GPS-K? i wonder.

ok, there i go again i have to let ya's go sorry, i write too much!!! Thank you again and look forward to speaking to you soon Awattam

P.S. know what, it may just be easier for you to just transfer the info from your scanner on to mine and teach me how to turn on and off the stuff i want to listen to..... is that possible and if so, wouldn't that be easier? that'd work for me.

Forz

if it is possible to show me how to add things to my scanner that i want to listen to (old scanners would mean adding frequencies so i could scan and listen to them) then i could add to my listening list,over time,without bothering anyone.
in the past day or two i've learned a little more about this scanner and i am currently scanning some of the stuff that is already programmed on it so i think i am on my way to comprehension of this contraption lol

JamesO

Forget about the GPS for this scanner for now. All it does is automatically enable and disable scan groups or sites based on the location of the site programmed into the scanner.

Until you can understand and get the scanner properly programmed, the GPS will be of no use to you.

In order for the GPS to be of any use, you have to have the Lat & Long of all towers programmed and the distance needs to be configured as well. Until you can get the basic sites and Talk Groups configured, this is just one more confusion to deal with.

GPS limits scanning for the most part, does not add anything UNLESS things are properly programmed.

Focus on the basics of programming first.

Forz

good advice,definitely noted and i will forget about the GPS for now. i just want to get to know this scanner before getting ahead of myself and get lost in it.

basically as far as what i'd like programmed, what ever my scanner will pick up, what ever is in my range. doesn't matter PD's or FD's although they are the more important listen's in my book. but i'll listen to anything if i can pick it up. i just don't know how far my scanner will receive.

i live in Litchfield (address is Parker Circle, Litchfield NH) so what ever my scanner will pick up, i would like on my scanner.
i work in Chelmsford and also spend time with friends in that area, so what ever my scanner will pick up from there as well. (address is Middlesex Street Chelmsford)

i give the street addresses just in case that is needed to figure out what i can hear?

JamesO

You should be able to hear 10-20 miles without a problem unless you are in a interior shielded area.

The KEY to getting the scanner to work is proper programming.

If it is a trunked system, you need to program the control channel(s) and you can cheat my initially putting the scanner in SEARCH mode rather than SCAN mode.

Start my holding down the WX button for a few seconds to make sure you can hear the local NOAA Weather broadcast, this is a good starting point.

Set the Squelch to 2 and the Volume to about 5-6.

You can also try the Service Search as well.

BUT programming is the key to get the scanner working and then turning/toggling the scan/favorite lists on and off.

Forz

yes,i have been listening to the service search (Public Safety). i'll check out the weather channel now.

i do have some sheets with frequencies on it that i printed up recently and a while back. i believe on one of the sets of sheets, it states if the system is digital. i don't ever remember seeing if it listed anything such as "trunking". i think the only thing listed as a description were "digital or analog" but i'll dig those papers out and see what's on them. :)

awattam

I have an Arduino GPS module hooked up to the scanner and it works as it should but its not as exciting as I would have liked so I don't bother anymore.

Also, if you want to add Mass State systems, one of us will need to upgrade to a premium member ($15 for 6 months). I would but I don't have nor want a Paypal account.

Forz

ok it was doing this during weather scan (let me see if i remember the proper BB Code):

WX Scan
[scroll]scan[/scroll]

then it stopped on a 162.xxxx frequency labeled ch.7-listened for about half a minute and resumed scanning but only went back to this same frequency so i must not be too close to any towers for the weather. i have a little better of an antenna in my Mazda Tribute SUV but that's in the shop and won't be picking it up til tonight. but i got some info on good base and mobile antennas in another thread so once i put some money aside for a scanner accessory fund, i'll put together a nice base antenna. my room is on an outside wall of my house so i am lucky since i will be able to put an antenna on the peak of my house without having to run tons of coax.

i had my antron 99 cb antenna in a tree by my shed. this tree was rotting but did sustain a woodpecker family for two seasons so i thought the tree was still alive and kicking...... well, i ended up putting my Antron 99 in this tree up about 30ft. strapped using ratchet/come-a-long straps. well the top 10ft of the tree ended up cracking and attempting to fall to the ground but because my antenna is 18ft. long and then add 12ft. of fence post it is mounted to, the broken section of the tree is just hanging there tilted and trying to just get to the ground but my antenna set-up is preventing that. i truly need to take a couple of pictures and post them to give everyone a good laugh

yeah, this 162.5250 CH7 is the only weather channel that is coming up but i will have my better antenna later on and that should pick up fore stations.

Hey James,are you trying to cause jealousy and envy from other members here? because that is quite the list of scanners. dang man, you must pick up every possibly broadcast possible with all of those scanner-units!! nice list!!

i have my:
Uniden BCD-996XT
Radio Shack Pro 2030 desktop style
Realistic Pro-44 HH

I do have another Rack Scanner but for some reason it isn't powering up fully. the dimmer light comes on when i push it but nothing else is going on. weirdest thing about it too because it worked fine then i stopped using it for a couple of weeks and then went to turn it on and BAM, nothing. i'd like to try and get it fixed even if it cost more than the twenty bucks it is worth. i just love that scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.