• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

My new G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbelter

WOW..My new G5 have given me a whole new meaning to monitoring . What an amazing device with a neat feature that allows me to assign different background colors to each talk group ( Blue for LEO, Red for Fire ) etc,,
Thank you Ray.

mitbr

I keep telling people they have no idea what they are missing!! Yes I know it is not a scanner LOL! I thought about getting one of the sds radios but instead bought a second Unication. I have plenty of scanners and what I primarily listen to is p25 which the Unication does so....
Tim

Last edited:

mitbr

I like its form factor sits in you shirt pocket with its stubby antenna. I have dropped mine a couple times onto concrete and not even a scuff on the radio. The display is amazing can see it in bright sunshine outside.
Tim

n5gqb

I like its form factor sits in you shirt pocket with its stubby antenna. I have dropped mine a couple times onto concrete and not even a scuff on the radio. The display is amazing can see it in bright sunshine outside.
Tim
Ditto here too, I like the small form factor, ruggedness and tiny stubby antenna. So it really doesn't look like a scanner or two-way radio. Much easier to carry around on your belt or clipped to your pant pocket without getting in the way. I carry mine at work and I bend and stoop a lot and no binding up or getting in the way. Plus no one really asks "whats that?" unless you leave the volume cranked up. This is now my EDC. I have scanners out the wazoo and they still have a useful place in my world but have taken a slight back seat now.

Jimco

I keep telling people they have no idea what they are missing!! Yes I know it is not a scanner LOL! I thought about getting one of the sds radios but instead bought a second Unication. I have plenty of scanners and what I primarily listen to is p25 which the Unication does so....
Tim

A while back, I needed a second radio, so I bought an SDS100 to supplement my G5. While I do like the SDS100, my main regret is that I now have to deal with terrible battery life. My G5 will charge completely in about 4 hours, and the battery then lasts at least 16 hours. My SDS100 takes about 16 hours to fully charge, and I get about 6-8 hours max out of that charge. I realize the SDS100 is using a lot of CPU based on its design. Hopefully Uniden can improve the efficiency and increase battery life. As it stands, I need a second battery and a desktop charger in order to meet my needs.

mitbr

A while back, I needed a second radio, so I bought an SDS100 to supplement my G5. While I do like the SDS100, my main regret is that I now have to deal with terrible battery life. My G5 will charge completely in about 4 hours, and the battery then lasts at least 16 hours. My SDS100 takes about 16 hours to fully charge, and I get about 6-8 hours max out of that charge. I realize the SDS100 is using a lot of CPU based on its design. Hopefully Uniden can improve the efficiency and increase battery life. As it stands, I need a second battery and a desktop charger in order to meet my needs.
Wow I didn't realize the sds took that long to charge. Yea I really like the battery on the G4 G5 .The sds series scanners seem like fine radios with a few quirks but the additional price for them for what my needs were didn't seem justified even they are allot more radio. When you get the stand alone charger if you can use a higher amp power supply you should be able to cut that charge time down. One thing I didn't like about the Unications is they don't have a speaker out jack and I like to listen at night in the bedroom. I found a great bluetooth speaker for that the VR3 which I have been happy with. The Unications are small enough that you can place them under the pillow and that also works fine.
Tim :cool:

blackbelter

I totally agree , just purchased my G5 from Ray and today I ordered a Unication amplified charger . I spent most of last Saturday programing my G5 and Ray was kind to review my file and recommended a few adjustments . Ray Is honest , knowledgable and provides a great service .
Please review the available on line information to program your Unication pager , however in a pinch Ray is there to help .I would highly recommend Ray At Rays pagers .
Bravo

blackbelter

Today, Ray was kind to help me understand my G5 better and imported a file that now enables me to easily force switch sites within a system. I truly appreciate his time and all I can say is WOW, as my monitoring experience is now at another level.
Thank you Ray and Unication.

Last edited:

Hit_Factor

Today, Ray was kind to help me understand my G5 better and imported a file that now enables me to easily force switch sites within a system. I truly appreciate his time and all I can say is WOW, as my monitoring experience is now at another level.
Thank you Ray and Unication.
Can you give details on how he did it? Screen shots would be good.

blackbelter

My monitoring interest revolves around one system with two different sites .
One site for the county and the other site the City . Ray suggested to program the pager twice with the same system and split the county and city talk groups by the selector .
I now can easily switch between the city and the country talk groups .
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.