• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

My new Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groundhog1960

Hello everyone, Groundhog here. "Triple 3", in DX land. Old call letters from the 70's, KSS-2012
I just wanted to say I am very pleased with my new Galaxy 94HP from Skywalker Radio.
It is an outstanding radio and the modulation is a perfect 100%.
All reports from folks I have talked to say it's crystal clear.
I keep it set low at 40 watt key and the modulation swings upward greatly from there.
Probably many of you don't think much of Skywalker, but I can tell you it is by
far the best sounding radio I have ever owned. And the receive is top notch, not to mention
the SSB. Everything works well and it is tuned to my 102" DX Engineering whip at 1.1 and 1.3
respectably.
Anyway, hello to everyone and great to be here.
73's

spongella

Premium Subscriber
No, but I like the looks of their CB base station. Was a CB'er in the 70's too, had lots of fun. Congrats on your new radio, enjoy it.

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
Had a couple of Galaxy radios over the years, 949, 959, 2547. Not bad, but too much drift for me since I was a sideband operator. I used to have some high powered rigs, like the old General Grant and RCI 2970, but I personally got away from the radios with built-in amplifiers.

I actually like the President McKinley. It is pretty stable on SSB and reliable, and with a KL-203 behind it, I can get almost 100 watts output if needed. Not the big swing boxes that many like on AM, but that’s why we have so many radio choices.

Groundhog1960

Had a couple of Galaxy radios over the years, 949, 959, 2547. Not bad, but too much drift for me since I was a sideband operator. I used to have some high powered rigs, like the old General Grant and RCI 2970, but I personally got away from the radios with built-in amplifiers.

I actually like the President McKinley. It is pretty stable on SSB and reliable, and with a KL-203 behind it, I can get almost 100 watts output if needed. Not the big swing boxes that many like on AM, but that’s why we have so many radio choices.
I do understand. Appreciate the reply.

JayMojave

Hello G1960: Yeah those are great radios the neighbor has one in his truck with a linear amplifier. He talks skip all over when the skip is in. The local "Old Fart" Ham Radio guys hang out on LSB CH 40 for the latest low band traffic and bad mouth each either and such. Funny and amusing to listen in on all the goings on with the older guys. I don't break in or talk to them, listening is such a kick. Good choice of radios.

CB has always been a lot of fun that has got a Gazillion operators into their Ham Lic. Now with the weather getting warmer we will have a few get togethers type BBQ's Pot Luck and camp outs, great fun and ya get to meet all the voices behind the speaker.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert.... "Next Gas 150 Miles"

Groundhog1960

Hello G1960: Yeah those are great radios the neighbor has one in his truck with a linear amplifier. He talks skip all over when the skip is in. The local "Old Fart" Ham Radio guys hang out on LSB CH 40 for the latest low band traffic and bad mouth each either and such. Funny and amusing to listen in on all the goings on with the older guys. I don't break in or talk to them, listening is such a kick. Good choice of radios.

CB has always been a lot of fun that has got a Gazillion operators into their Ham Lic. Now with the weather getting warmer we will have a few get togethers type BBQ's Pot Luck and camp outs, great fun and ya get to meet all the voices behind the speaker.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert.... "Next Gas 150 Miles"
Thanks, Jay. Btw, I always enjoy reading your post's. You are very knowledgeable when it comes to the radio/coax/antenna industry.
Again, thank you.

slowmover

Galaxy is flat fun as a radio.
Receive great and Transmit Audio booms.

The King of AM.

Are there better?
Then, define the needs and chase that.

885825E5-62FB-48E4-82B2-B0788E913869.jpeg

The current stack in my truck.

West Mountain Radio ClearSpeech
DSP Speaker not shown.

This piece of gear is the game-changer.

Put the KL203 with anything.
Internal amp or not.

Make the WM DSP Speaker & the KL203 the system constants. Plug in radios as desired.

Nope, got out of CB in the 1970s because of all the skip, noise, yelling, swearing. Never went back after using Hallicrafters CB-3A.

Nothing like being deaf out on the highway.

Ten-mile backup in TN few days ago. Heard about it before others due to incredible ears via the DSP Speaker.

Diverted to take a scenic route around it the others couldn’t use as they couldn’t — heard about it too late — to use the necessary exit.

Several other big trucks had passed me earlier in the day passed me again 2-3/hours later. Wondered how the H I’d gotten so far ahead of them.

IOW, 4-5 hours after they’d passed me the first time. Recognized my voice as I recognized theirs. (They’d gotten close to an hour ahead of me earlier).

The 400-miles between Memphis and Knoxville they’d burned A LOT more fuel than me. Wasted that fuel.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Be my guest, Mr Reginald Denny, on driving into a crowd of “peaceful protesters”. There are MANY good reasons to do a good mobile installation. And a base means potential contact with what everyone else uses.

Don’t like what you hear? Change it.

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Ham radio MUCH more FUN!!!!
Or at least it would be if the repeaters were active and people were listening. It's kinda iffy throughout most of the country right now.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Or at least it would be if the repeaters were active and people were listening. It's kinda iffy throughout most of the country right now.
Unfortunately this is very true. I myself dropped out 20 years ago when the digital stuff started taking over. We have many repeaters here and most are quiet. Really a shame.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately this is very true. I myself dropped out 20 years ago when the digital stuff started taking over. We have many repeaters here and most are quiet. Really a shame.

Repeaters? What's that? Great reason to upgrade to General or higher and get on HF. You can work DX any day of the week, all hours of the day. You don't have to worry about the propagation gods shining upon you, as there is always a band that's going to work, at the very least nationwide.

Or as a tech., go to DMR. You don't have to worry about local repeaters being busy or not.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Repeaters? What's that? Great reason to upgrade to General or higher and get on HF. You can work DX any day of the week, all hours of the day. You don't have to worry about the propagation gods shining upon you, as there is always a band that's going to work, at the very least nationwide.

Or as a tech., go to DMR. You don't have to worry about local repeaters being busy or not.
I had a nice station set up on a hill with tower. Me and some ham friends set up crossband repeaters with our dual band radios that worked all over town really well. We'd gotten into stuff like amtor, and packet.....lots of fun stuff. But when APRS started to encroach, I just didnt like it and it seemed pointless....then packet nosedived. So I got rid of the high band stuff and stayed pretty much on HF till about the year 2000 when I was forced to move and couldnt set up antennas. It sucked. So I ended up selling out. I just recently got back in to scanning 2 years ago. I often think about getting an HF rig again but I live in a neighborhood where all the houses are close and no room for dipoles or big antennae. But I am satisfied just listening.

ForestRunner98

917 SoCal

I have one and they are great! BUT...they are not adjusted to factory spec. Adjust the AMC, ALC and RF power to facory specs and it will come alive! They are adjusted low for FCC. Went from 3w to 4w on RF power. 6w swing to 11-12w swing. Made a huge difference in my KL203. Dead key at 2w and with amp keys to 30w and PEP’s to 150w.

Try it!! You’re just setting the radio to factory spec. Not overdriving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.