My New GE SuperRadio 2

cbaravelli

After more than ten years, I broke my C Crane Radio EP. It is a portable. So, I bought the EP PRO. I was not impressed.

So, I open both. Overall design and layout has not changed. However, the analog Sanyo LA 1260 AM/FM/MPX was not upgraded using the newer Sanyo LA 1823/4 but with the Silicon Labs / Skyworks Si 4730. This is a Digital RX DSP receiver with no inductors or potentiometers to adjust. Only a single mini VCO variable cap to diddle. Only analog components on the receive side is a dial string on a pot.

The 200 mm by 10 mm ferrite loop antennas are near identical. So, I’m thinking a good radio is only as good as its antenna ... why not have two. There is room after cutting out the three antenna support stanchions. So, I cable tie the two loops together then wire them IN SERIES. Yes, this doubles the ohms. Voltage is the point. Close proximity quadruples the henries and broadens the lower and upper MW BCB. After removing near 80 mm of extraneous litz wire, the dual ferrite loop assembly is rubber cemented together, assembly is soldered to the main PCB which is re-installed then the assembly is rubber cemented to the back chassis. Takes five hours. Four hours for the glue to dry.

Immediate results are impressive. There are no analog test points to measure. But, the red signal strength LED seems to light with more distant stations twice as much. So, I did some field testing in urban EMI environments and at a remote pond swamp. Wide / Narrow filter remains very good but Fine Tuning is not as effective. I’m thinking it’s the digital electronics and not the antennae. C Crane does not offer service manuals for either radio. Buy a new one. It’s a Sangean.

Rhombics and loops are most effective for AM DX. However, size and weight are issues. With this dual antenna, side lobes seem to be more suppressed but this may be due to on lobes being more sensitive. On night two, I brought out the Tecsun H-501X for side by side comps. EP PRO has more directional side lobe nulling and at higher frequencies. EP PRO has less fade and with different phases perhaps due to it being more sensitive to M than E waves than the Tecsun single ferrite loop. Proven at the pond when the EP PRO is oriented vertical and performs much like the original C Crane Twin Coil which it is not. That twin coil is a reverse phase design requiring a transformer and pre-amplification. It was quieter to EMI and CMR but fails in the market due to inductive coupling difficulties and the direct coupling impedance matches C Crane radios but not many others (5:1 balbal).

H-501X is more selective. There is no adjacent channel interference. None. AGC is very good. EP PRO is not. Its AGC will lock up and soft mute. H-501X four speaker audio has more fidelity and presence. EP PRO two speaker audio is more intelligible. This is important for crowded noisy AM reception.

On night three, I brought out both radios and a Tecsun AN-200 inductive loop antenna. Results are more impressive. With both radios inside the loop, modified EP PRO has more sensitivity, directivity and less fade than H-501X. Propagation delays have faster rise and fall times. Additional Q makes low band frequency channels more selective with AN-200 fine tuning. Side lobe nulls seem sharper. I listened to three stations in different directions on the same frequencies above 1300 kHz. Loop coupling is more effective with internal dual antennas than the H-501X single antenna. It has broad fine tune peaks while EP PRO is more narrow (Q). I have not used the direct connect method using RF cables. Tecsun does not allow for external AM antennae. C Crane may have Z and CMR issues. Later maybe.

ON VHF BCB using whip antennas only, H-501X is more selective and has better stereo audio quality on headphones. However, EP PRO has better capture and locks MPX stereo pilot sooner with 80 mm less whip. I listened to an 18 kW ERP FM station 160 miles away with no LOS (mountains) at times in stereo. H-501X needs an external antenna to achieve similar or better performance. Basic conclusion is Tecsun has better sound, C Crane has more to listen to.

This EP PRO will replace the GE SR2 (finally). Four carbon or alkaline D cells give this monster gravitas.

Only one thing will make the EP PRO and AN-200 combo better. Two AN-200s side by side with radios inside both loops. Will 3-D print the frame as soon as the second arrives from China.

And then, there is the Qudosen SR-286 dual antenna project. First attempt using a Sony ferrite loop with different coil windings fails even though the math was good (parallel series). If you enjoy analog radio the way Providence intended, this SR-286 may be the light weight portable yer lookin’ fer.

Chico Baravelli
cbaravelli@mail.com

Attachments

• DSC_2262.jpg
    DSC_2262.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_2278.jpg
    DSC_2278.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 36

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Those loops are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but as the video below shows, you get the most dramatic improvement on those cheap little radios because the more expensive radios usually have a larger internal antenna. Still, for the low cost of those loop antennas, in some environments, like where your have HOA restrictions the can be helpful in a pinch.

Boombox

Those loops are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but as the video below shows, you get the most dramatic improvement on those cheap little radios because the more expensive radios usually have a larger internal antenna. Still, for the low cost of those loop antennas, in some environments, like where your have HOA restrictions the can be helpful in a pinch.

I've used such loops with Walkmen radios and have been able to DX with them. Loops are like 'equalizers' for MW DXing, they can make regular radios into DX radios.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
I have the ep pro and mothballed it because of the horrible soft mute making it useless. Whoever had that bright idea needs a-hangin' in the town square.
Keep your Super for sure!

Boombox

I have the ep pro and mothballed it because of the horrible soft mute making it useless. Whoever had that bright idea needs a-hangin' in the town square.
Keep your Super for sure!
Didn't they get rid of the soft mute? I haven't read any comments from EP Pro owners complaining about it.

Boombox

I'm not aware of that, never heard mention.
I guess this is puzzling to me because even Radio Jay Allen doesn't mention soft muting on the DSP EP Pro. He does mention "false peaks" that could occur on the EP Pro because it wasn't originally supplied with a 9 kHz / 10 kHz switch on the MW side -- something that CCrane rectified some time after the radio was introduced. Maybe you got an original one?

Radio Jay Allen does say that the EP Pro mutes while tuning. Is that what you were referring to? How extensive is the muting while tuning?

Soft muting to me is when the volume cuts off nearly completely when you are tuned to a weaker DX station and the signal drops beneath a certain threshold. I've only got one radio with that 'feature'. The rest of my DSP radios don't have that. Many of them do chuff while tuning across the band, though.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Definitly soft muting, radio's not usable for me. Forget bandscanning or weak DX.

TAC4

Mute tuning does suck for DX. That said there are some great
mute tuning radios on the market. The Eton Elite line
is top notch both in build and sensitivity. I typically DX
with a Sangean and program listen with a Eton Elite Field
for its great audio quality. That way you don't miss out on
some great radios on the market.

Boombox

Definitly soft muting, radio's not usable for me. Forget bandscanning or weak DX.
So, if you are parked on a weak MW frequency for a while, when the station's signal drops below a certain threshold, it disappears?

If that's the case, yeah, that would suck. And RadioJayAllen's description of the radio muting as you tune fast across the dial, that seems to be counterproductive for a DX radio.

TAC4

The drop out behaves just like analog it is the speed at which you
you tune around a swl band with the tuning knob, you have to
go at a snails pace which is way to slow. Reminds me of an
ACG that is set way to slow and the radio is trying to play catch
up with the next frequency. Annoying

I believe it is just in the software and a DSP radio does not need
mute tuning, the engineers chose that but I could be wrong.
So I just use my use my mute tune radios for program
listening not DX.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
So, if you are parked on a weak MW frequency for a while, when the station's signal drops below a certain threshold, it disappears?

If that's the case, yeah, that would suck. And RadioJayAllen's description of the radio muting as you tune fast across the dial, that seems to be counterproductive for a DX radio.
That's your answer... it sucks.

Boombox

The drop out behaves just like analog it is the speed at which you
you tune around a swl band with the tuning knob, you have to
go at a snails pace which is way to slow. Reminds me of an
ACG that is set way to slow and the radio is trying to play catch
up with the next frequency. Annoying

I believe it is just in the software and a DSP radio does not need
mute tuning, the engineers chose that but I could be wrong.
So I just use my use my mute tune radios for program
listening not DX.
I have a couple XHDATA SW/MW/FM radios and they neither mute while tuning fast across the bands, nor is there other softmuting... so yeah, it's probably not a requirement of the chip. Probably the way the software is programmed to control the DSP chip.

cbaravelli

My EP PRo with the 9/10kHz switch soft mutes. Something, not on-channel RF levels, will trigger the Si7430 to mute IF by around -10dB then something will trigger mute off. Retuning resets AGC. Not constant but can be annoying. Wish I could keep the SR2 alive. Varacter cap failed again. Eaton Elite is in reality a Tecsun H-501 Cadillac.
Qudosen (Huo Guang Shu) SR-286 FM/LW/MW/SW Ultra High-Sensitivity Multi-band Radio is just that. Purchased the first one four months ago for $141.00. It came from the PRC with a olive green soft case and a USB cable. After learning how to work it, I must agree. This Qudosen is the best small size amplitude modulation receiver I have found.
Based on the NXP TEF 6686 integrated circuit, which is used in high and medium quality car stereo systems and is appearing in more Asian portable radios, is analog, Malahit DSP2/3 and Chinese clones are direct competitors. AGC is ultra-fast. Single station channels will have the same apparent loudness with different noise levels. Multiple station channels intelligibility can be difficult when the strongest station may not be the loudest all the time.
Old school ANALOG free from digital ghost images and noises as Providence intends radio to be. No A/D-D/A “birdies”, “chuffing” or soft muting. Tuning across the MW band is a joy. Although system control and power supply are digital, there are no digital “extras” except when battery charging. No fix for this due to lack of space to add relative large components (inductor, electrolytic capacitors, shielding). Sometimes when turning the tuning knob fast, channel changes la., Except for the digital interface and battery management, this radio is ANALOG.
What makes a great radio better? More antennas. First attempt using a like size ferrite loop log from a Sony clock radio fails. They are not the same. SR-286 ferrite bar has a more and larger crystalline structure I have never seen before. So I purchased a second for $120.00. It came with a olive green soft case, a USB cable, a semi-soft PVC black case with pockets, a lens cleaning cloth (styrene LCD display clear cover scratches easy) and a charged high quality Lion battery. Prices have fallen to $100,00 on Alibaba.
This radio is small. Micro-surgery requiring special electronic tools. Not for everyone, For those with the skills and time, SR-286 modifications are worth while.
Two ferrite bars bonded together and wired IN SERIES will fit with rear case cuts and grinds. Remove (loosen) six case screws and pull cases apart. Remove the loudspeaker cover (acoustic seal). Remove receiver PCB. Single bar is held above the PCB by a black nylon stanchion. Remove it from the case and antenna. Then clip the case moulded screw mount with wire cutters. There are three case screws along the top, Middle one will have to go. Rear bail clip, too. I used a solder iron and a Dremel.
I wrap tied and rubber cemented the 80mm Qudosen ferrite bars together. Solder to the PCB the main Litz and secondary solid copper antenna wires. Remount PCB onto rear case and wedge antenna assembly between PCB and inside rear case. Reassemble radio and test. WOW.
Sensitivity near doubles, although not as apparent due to the switchable pre-amp and AGC circuits. Selectivity increases by half with less traditional co-channel (+/- 20 kHz) interference with no 8 kHz bandwidth filter. Directivity improves but not as good as the modified 120mm dual loop CCrane EP PRO. This radio now DXs 50 kW MW stations 150 miles away as well as it had from stations 75 miles away and it fits in your back pocket. Impressive. Ditto for LW.
SW reception is acceptable with the 49cm whip antenna. FM is not. Why not add another? A front case loudspeaker cover screw hole will mount the second whip to it. However, screw size is small and antenna base will flex. I used black E600 adhesive although epoxy is a more permanent solution. Whips are wired IN SERIES.
PCB interconnect wire harnesses are poor quality. I replaced all, except the speaker wires due to being too difficult, including double grounding PCBs hoping to reduce the battery charger “ignition” noise. It didn’t. Dual antenna adds to it. A small section of the antenna assembly is blocked receiving from the front by the system processor shield. I use electrical tape to insulate shield ground from the Litz wire.
SW reception improves and is somewhat directional. I was able to receive at sundown WWV and/or WWVH at 5 MHz for awhile with a very short “inverted” inverted-V. Early evening 50 meters was fun. Unbelievable.
FM reception improvements are disappointing. Although somewhat directional, it is not for DX. Best reception is by attaching a short wire between antenna ends in effect making a tunable half loop. SW above 10-15 MHz also improves, It’s more than antenna length. Perhaps whip antenna front end is designed more for SW than FM. Car stereos with the TEF6686 chip and similar antenna lengths out perform the SR-286. RDS is not tested. You can hear the difference between IBOC and non-IBOC stations on analog. Signals can interfere with the modulation carrier on some FM radios. Local stations do not RDS and distant stations that do cannot be received. Meh.
All DX tests are made in the field without external antennae except;
Reception effectiveness using the Tecsun AN-200 is deceiving. For strong stations, there is not much of an audible clue where peak is due to the SR-286 pre-amp and AGC. For some low to medium frequency AM stations, a carrier phase shift is all that is heard. For weak stations, AN-200 makes this radio a monster, Two coherent coils four millimeters from the loop coil. Mutual induction adds selectivity or Q. While not as directional and without the nulls of the modified EP PRO, I’m thinking the SR-286/AN-200 combo has better F/R (front/rear) gain. Difficult to say which radio combo has better quieter MW. Analog receivers filter or clamp noise but it’s still there. Digital receivers process analog “noise” much different and, along with the extra digital “noises”, make them annoying. Everyone’s brain is different. Specs say TEF6686 is quieter than the Si/Skywave7430. And the Qudosen is small enough to balance inside the Tecsun loop.
Second whip antenna folds over seven millimeters above the front case and needs a neoprene base or support under it and maybe a clip, LCD display clear cover will be covered with something, maybe cellophane tape or polyethylene wrap. Other than the less than expected FM performance, not being able to non-FM listen while on AC power and not having east Asian fingers to operate the front panel keyboard, this Qudosen SR-286 is the best “ultra-light” multi-band radio I own ... for $260.00.

Attachments

• DSC_2282.jpg
    DSC_2282.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_2297.jpg
    DSC_2297.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_2288.jpg
    DSC_2288.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 15

TAC4

That is nuts 🐿️ but in a good way. Great technical post.
I like great but you but you seem to like better. I come
from the school if it ain't broke don't fix it. This mod
could be a little side hustle for you using eBay and people
send there radios to you ?

cbaravelli

Mod a $100 radio for $200? Takes two to make one. No money in it. Boston's RadioLabs modified ATS-909Xs and had to stop because there's no money in it.
The ATS-909X2 I bought was returned after two weeks for making bad noises on LW/MW/SW. Experience drove me to find the best (for the money) portable analog AM receiver. This supercharged radio with an external loop antenna is best so far. Better than my old RadioLabs ATS-909X.
CCrane or Qudosen? Both on battery side by side, EP PRO for the sound. Both on battery through a home stereo system, SR-286 for the sound. It has a higher impedance headphone output. Besides, analog radio, like vinyl records, just sounds better.