My new home shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdesigns

I finally started my shack on my garage, I have a 3 car garage and I will be using the second and third garage to do my home business "laser engraving/cutting" , my comunications corner with all types of radios from CB, Marine, HAM bands, GMRS, Public Safety etc etc, I will also have FINALLY my testing / soldering area.

I will start installing my antennas on the atic about 15' from the ground, until I figure out how to install them on the tall pine trees on the back of my house, but I have to camoflauge the antennas to be able to mount them there, the HOA is very picky about antennas here :(

I sold most of my mobiles this past months, but I will be buying different ones to fit my needs on the shack, I have 3 computers that I will be setting up for my discriminator modded scanners, TV, etc etc.

More pictures to come (sorry for the mess)

1005596.jpg

1005595.jpg

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Nice job so far! If you have the dreaded HOA police sniffing then I sympathize with you!:(
However,you mentioned using your trees to try to camo your antennas? I had to do this once,and picked up some hunter green colored tape in sporting goods at wal mart. I wrapped all exposed antenna elements with it before sticking them in the trees,and no one was the wiser! Just a thought for you. The tape didn't seem to affect performance either.
73's!
N9ZAS

cdesigns

Nice job so far! If you have the dreaded HOA police sniffing then I sympathize with you!:(
However,you mentioned using your trees to try to camo your antennas? I had to do this once,and picked up some hunter green colored tape in sporting goods at wal mart. I wrapped all exposed antenna elements with it before sticking them in the trees,and no one was the wiser! Just a thought for you. The tape didn't seem to affect performance either.
73's!
N9ZAS

That's what I was thinking, painting them or using some kind of tape. I do have to run the antenna cables under the grass, in other words I have to dig a lot to get to the pines :(, that would be a heavy project for now. Hopefully on my tax return I can put a fence and just run the cables on the fence instead of digging and adding a pipe with cable etc hehe

gewecke

Banned
That's what I was thinking, painting them or using some kind of tape. I do have to run the antenna cables under the grass, in other words I have to dig a lot to get to the pines :(, that would be a heavy project for now. Hopefully on my tax return I can put a fence and just run the cables on the fence instead of digging and adding a pipe with cable etc hehe

How anal ARE your HOA snoops? Do they seem to know what they're looking for or are they easy to snow? I take a personal interest in fooling these morons when they try to rule your roost for you!:twisted:
Are your trees quite a distance from your garage? There may be a way to run your coax to the trees without burying them allowing you to use less cable? Can you limit access to the area from your garage to the trees? Fence,rose bushes,...land mines? Just kidding!
N9ZAS

cdesigns

How anal ARE your HOA snoops? Do they seem to know what they're looking for or are they easy to snow? I take a personal interest in fooling these morons when they try to rule your roost for you!:twisted:
Are your trees quite a distance from your garage? There may be a way to run your coax to the trees without burying them allowing you to use less cable? Can you limit access to the area from your garage to the trees? Fence,rose bushes,...land mines? Just kidding!
N9ZAS

They're very picky because is a new neighborhood, you have to fill an aplication to install Dish or Direct TV antennas, heck I got a warning by just adding 8 small solar lights to my front yard.

This is a new home, and the other day aparently one of the house numbers didn't had enought glue and felt in the floor, a week past and I got a letter from the HOA , to fix my house # . They're just to picky (it's good and bad at the same time)

gambill1

That's what gets me. your the one paying for your house, you should be able to do as you please and the heck with what them or anyone else.

cdesigns

That's what gets me. your the one paying for your house, you should be able to do as you please and the heck with what them or anyone else.

I understand why they do it, I hate how picky the HOA is but at the end is better, you wouldn't want a neighbor with dead grass, a broken car in jacks in the front of the house, house paint peeling off etc. I would like to sell my house in the future and it would help me, but it sucks too hehe.

gewecke

Banned
It's a good thing I don't live There! Me and my attorney would be a real "barney bad a**" for that HOA! :twisted: I'd be a nasty thorn in their sides! See how they like a 120' tower!!
N9ZAS

N9JIG

Sheriff
I live in an area with a Home Owners Association myself, and while it does cramp my style sometimes, I understand that it wasn't foisted upon me, I knew about it when I bought my home. The rules were provided to me before I bought it and if I didn't like it I was welcome to buy a home elsewhere.

Now, a while later I wanted a variance to get a dish and went to the board to ask for one. At first they said no, but then invited me to run for the board in the next election. I did and within 6 months we had permission for dishes on our shared roofs.

While I can't have a tower or external antennas here, I know that I can buy a home elsewhere without these provisions and have them there.

All due respect ZAS, but your attorney would likely tell you that you would lose a suit trying to force a HOA to allow a tower.

cdesigns

I knew the HOA rules before I move in, but this is my first house, I'm 30 my wife 31 and we have a 2 years old daughter, I wanted a house that I could have tower, and without neighbors so close, but we found this new project and the price was great compared to older smaller houses in the area, when it was in the process of building I lost my job due to layoffs, without my income I was lucky that we still got approve for the house, so HOA or not, I can survive a little bit without a tower, I won't say outside antennas because I just today installed them behind my third car garage wall, maybe not that high but at least they are outside about 10' from the ground.

When the market gets better and we can make money selling it, I told my wife that I want a house that I can do whatever I want on my backyard :)

N9JIG

Sheriff
I am in the same boat as you brother! The wife said that I could have a tower if we get a house, but we love the townhouse we are in now. No outside maintenance, pool across the street, quiet and safe neighborhood, no dogs...

Once the economy changes and the equity is built up again we might look, but so far the attic antenna farm has been pretty effective for my needs.

I knew the HOA rules before I move in, but this is my first house, I'm 30 my wife 31 and we have a 2 years old daughter, I wanted a house that I could have tower, and without neighbors so close, but we found this new project and the price was great compared to older smaller houses in the area, when it was in the process of building I lost my job due to layoffs, without my income I was lucky that we still got approve for the house, so HOA or not, I can survive a little bit without a tower, I won't say outside antennas because I just today installed them behind my third car garage wall, maybe not that high but at least they are outside about 10' from the ground.

When the market gets better and we can make money selling it, I told my wife that I want a house that I can do whatever I want on my backyard :)

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
Been there done that. I told the vice pres. to contact the FCC if he have a problem with pole antennal.They back off off of me after that.

I understand why they do it, I hate how picky the HOA is but at the end is better, you wouldn't want a neighbor with dead grass, a broken car in jacks in the front of the house, house paint peeling off etc. I would like to sell my house in the future and it would help me, but it sucks too hehe.
I'm different, I really don't care what my neighbors are doing with their yard/house/etc. because it's their property and as long as they respect my property and family they'll be just fine with me. I can see a purpose of an HOA in an upscale neighborhood, but it just wouldn't work in one like mine.

But anyway, I really like your setup and all the different radios. Good luck with the HOA and with the antennas in the attic. If you don't bury the coax, be careful with your weedeater or lawn mower.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.