my new radio shack pro-106 scanner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

helvis

Premium Subscriber
I just bought one a month ago and am stuck programming it. I live in San Diego county and want to listen to all the oceanside p.d., f.d. and municipal stuff. i entered all trunk channels from the 'north tower" site. i entered all the I.D tags ( double and triple checked them) and still I get nothing. I entered the apco25 auto option. what am I over looking? how much am I overlooking. I feel like I'm getting close but Im getting a bit frustrated. any advise would be appreciated. thanks scanner folks.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Did you assign them to a scanning bank? That seems to be something many miss when programming the scanner especially the first time. Did you do it all by hand or do you have software? Good luck and don't give up.

helvis

Premium Subscriber

I have them banked into the favorites list all by hand. i was getting a little overconfident i guess. should I default them into 'scan list 1'. thanks for your reply

Highpockets

I just bought one a month ago and am stuck programming it. I live in San Diego county and want to listen to all the oceanside p.d., f.d. and municipal stuff. i entered all trunk channels from the 'north tower" site. i entered all the I.D tags ( double and triple checked them) and still I get nothing. I entered the apco25 auto option. what am I over looking? how much am I overlooking. I feel like I'm getting close but Im getting a bit frustrated. any advise would be appreciated. thanks scanner folks.

Take a look at the database, if it's the system I'm thinking, it's not P25 Auto, double check it looks like a Motorola Type II system.

Is this the system?

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=499

Last edited:

helvis

Premium Subscriber
i checked and its a motorola system type: Motorola Type II SmartZone
system voice : Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface
I originally set it to motorola 800/900 and still nothing. I experimented with all the other systems. I went into the 'analyze' tsys and scrolled through the control freq's I entered and every now and again i would hear a broadcast but when I set it in 'scan' mode the radio was silent... zilch.

Highpockets

Did you go ahead and assign the TG's to scan list 1, try that. After that if you get a nothing enabled, hit the one key to turn on scan list 1.

Last edited:

helvis

Premium Subscriber
I will assign all the freq's I entered into "favorites" and assign them to "scan list 1".

thanks for helping

Last edited:
I originally set it to motorola 800/900 and still nothing. I experimented with all the other systems. I went into the 'analyze' tsys and scrolled through the control freq's I entered and every now and again i would hear a broadcast but when I set it in 'scan' mode the radio was silent... zilch.

That is correct setting Motorola: 800/900 you did have it right.

You can always set it as a wildcard with the control channels and let it pickup the talkgroups if you wanted, but then you might have things you don't want to listen to on there.

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I will assign all the freq's I entered into "favorites" and assign them to "scan list 1".

thanks for helping
I usually use FAV for current ACTION TG's such as primary PD tac's and Firegrounds. Wouldn't use any city service in this list.

These same TG's are also used in Law scanlist and FD scanlist but having them as FAV will send scanner directly to the current action activity when FAV is pressed. The city service TG's would be in a third scanlist.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It also appears that besides setting the system as Motorola: 800/900, it should also be use the tables for "Splinter". I believe this has come up before, with other members & this system. Win500 recognizes it as a Splinter system, upon import, and San Diego is a border city.

It also appears that besides setting the system as Motorola: 800/900, it should also be use the tables for "Splinter". I believe this has come up before, with other members & this system. Win500 recognizes it as a Splinter system, upon import, and San Diego is a border city.
You are correct. Please be aware that all 800MHz frequencies used in San Diego between 851.0000 and 865.9875MHz are assigned from the SPLINTER bandplan. This means they are offset by 12.5kHZ (e.g., 856.0125 is not used, instead 856.0000 is used in its place). When programming any Motorola 3600 trunked system you must program the system as a splinter system.
It is recommended to program systems or sites using frequencies between 866.0000 through 868.9875 as splinter systems. This will not affect operation and tracking. If and when a site adds frequencies below 866MHz you will not need to change any system/site programming options.
Examples of splinter systems: San Diego County RCS and City of San Diego.

That is correct setting Motorola: 800/900 you did have it right.

You can always set it as a wildcard with the control channels and let it pickup the talkgroups if you wanted, but then you might have things you don't want to listen to on there.

As mentioned in the other post you will need to set your scanner to splinter.

helvis

Premium Subscriber
pro-106, scanner newbie

thanks for all you help, I will tackle this tomorrow.

helvis

Premium Subscriber
I figured it out. I found the "T Table" menu and scrolled it to "splinter" and viola! thanks for you help

helvis

Premium Subscriber
i got it working. I found the "T table" menu and scrolled set it to "splinter" and "type II"...... viola

Status
Not open for further replies.