My new to me mobile monitoring post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I'm lazy, so this is a repost from Scan New England

In May I was desperately in need of a new vehicle. After one false start I was able to find an offer I couldn't refuse.

I had been looking for a Ford Explorer Police Interceptor for ease of radio instalation. The dealer I ended up at said he had a 2014, but it wasn't a PI-I told him that if it had a center console with shift I wasn't interested. He asked me to take a look anyway. When I got to the car and opened the door, I immediately told him I was interested. His price was already in an area where I wasn't going to haggle.

I am told that the car was the Colonel of the Pennsylvania State Police's take home vehicle. The title lends Creedence to that. It had a Havis console already installed and the power was still run to it.

I ordered the faceplates and installed my radios, I used the one NMO that was left in the vehicle (the LOJACK antennae had Ben removed and holes plugged.) I added two NMO mounts to the rear of the vehicle and ran my antennas.

The outside

The antennas-L-R NMO 150/450/800fedto the SDS200, Forward is a cheap ebay dual band antenna that sucks as a HAM antenna but makes a decent low profile scanner antenna which is fed to the 996XT, Rear is the factory AM/FM antenna and the right most antenna is a low profile Antennex 450-470which feeds to the Icom F2821D.

The console from the dash back:
Amazon Echo Auto to left of shifter
Samsung TAB A 8.0 on a RAM-A-Can mount with Tabtite mount
TAC-9 Radio in Cupholder
3 Cigarette Lighter/2 USB port plate
SDS200
996XT
Icon F2821D

Wider view showing the Anker Roav C2 Pro Dash Cam

Finally, the GPS unit for the SDS200. I put it in the same place where they had left the GPS antenna for the Harris radio (they also left the radio bracket under the passenger seat. I drove it to Detroit overthe July 4th holiday and it worked flawlessly with the nationwide database.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
That's one of those "this was meant to be" moments. Rare to find exactly what you're looking for when you're a radio guy. haha Nice find and nice install!

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
You got damn lucky in finding a great vehicle like this! AND with the Havis console already in it! Buying a vehicle today for people like all of us who are in the scanner/ham hobby is a nightmare!

Mike

Azgunguy

Can i ask what dealership? I'm a used government vehicle dealer in the southwest and I'm always looking to see who else is in the business. That's an awesome find by the way. Congrats.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
That's in unbelievable condition, the seats look new and there's no wear on the brake peddle! How many miles? It must have belonged to a little old lady scanner enthusiast! :giggle:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
That's in unbelievable condition, the seats look new and there's no wear on the brake peddle! How many miles? It must have belonged to a little old lady scanner enthusiast! :giggle:
Just over 94K when I got it. If the info I was told is true, it was the PA State Police head's take home car. It's not a Police Interceptor, so I'm sure it was babied and got all PM on schedule.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Very nice, that console is awesome.

I had an ex police car pass me on the road the other day and I saw 4 capped NMO mounts, of course that got my brain going. But then I thought about the life most of these vehicles have and thought better about it, you seem to have gotten a good one though.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
So what color are the lights below the grille?

Status
Not open for further replies.