My New Whistler WS-1065

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkelso

This is one sweet Radio

Wow the audio that comes out of this baby is awe sum.

Attachments

• IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 2,713

mrkelso

Looks lonely at the bottom of the rack :)

Attachments

• IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 2,911

mrkelso

I am Happy to say that Butels ARC PRO 500 software works perfectly with this scanner.

SCPD

QRT
Sweet but I thought they were changing the design ? ...reminds me of an older radio shack scanner ...:screwy:

Sent from my SCH-I605

DJ11DLN

Sweet but I thought they were changing the design ? ...reminds me of an older radio shack scanner ...:screwy:

Sent from my SCH-I605

It is “an old Radio Shack scanner,” same as the Grecom-built Pro-197.

I don't know what it cost Whistler to get to the point where they could even produce existing designs, but it has to have involved a truckload of money. Can't exactly blame them for marketing “old technology” to help with the cash flow situation. This design is still very much viable in many markets.

But it all tends to bode well for us, since they probably wouldn't have gone to all this expense if they were just in it for the quick buck. I'm sure the investment will take years to amortize. So that at least suggests that they're already working on new designs so that they can stay competitive. I hope this is the case, not because I'm married to Grecom-pattern scanners, (I'm not; there are several Uniden products on my personal wish list) but because competition is a good, healthy thing in any sector of the market. It helps keep the players honest and on their toes.

OP, congrats on your new scanner, I hope you enjoy it. I've got the “old” version, the 197, and I agree, they are indeed a nice little radio. :wink:

Last edited:

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
The name tag and red function buttons are the only things that look different to a Pro-197. There are of course firmware differences which might show some interesting results.

w2txb

It is hoped that any firmware improvements for the Whistler version of the '197 will be available for the RS version, although I doubt it will happen.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
There are of course firmware differences which might show some interesting results.

What firmware differences are you referencing? Is there a link to a list of them somewhere?

mrkelso

I figured out how to turn Audio boost on and off via the betel software. This thing has excellent audio and doesn't need any boost. And i am half deaf from all the loud 1960's rock i listened to. :)

SCPD

QRT
nice

I figured out how to turn Audio boost on and off via the betel software. This thing has excellent audio and doesn't need any boost. And i am half deaf from all the loud 1960's rock i listened to. :)

Now thats a good one!LOL
Hows it do on VHF high band my 197 got lots of noise and I had to put an attenuator but I still liked it.The Black front on the Whistler is much more stylin though.

mrkelso

Now thats a good one!LOL
Hows it do on VHF high band my 197 got lots of noise and I had to put an attenuator but I still liked it.The Black front on the Whistler is much more stylin though.

I have someVHF high stuff programmed in out of New York city Approx 15 miles away and it seems to be ok for an in the house antenna attached to a clip on above the radio. There is a little picket fencing at times but overall not bad.

SCPD

QRT
hi neighbor

I have someVHF high stuff programmed in out of New York city Approx 15 miles away and it seems to be ok for an in the house antenna attached to a clip on above the radio. There is a little picket fencing at times but overall not bad.

Im 10 miles from NYC,my GRE800 works perfect on everything no noises or anything ,Im just curious if the Whistler works better on Phase 2 .
I tried the Whistler software on my 800 and it works,except for the
firmware updater.If the 1080, works better I may buy a 1080.
I had the PSR600 and it was nice,I always wished it was black.Nice job Whistler did on the front.Enjoy that nice shack you have Mister Kelso.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.