My NOS Experience With Both SDS100 and SDS200 And Firmware

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
Last month I purchased a 2021 production year SDS200 and yesterday received two SDS100 units. The SDS200 had the most recent June 2022 firmware loaded. The SDS200 came from Texas and both SDS100s came from Scanner Master. One of the SDS100s was produced in 2022, the other in 2021. Both units have current firmware from June 2022 out of the box. The 2021 year SDS100 had the battery out of the wrapping which was laid in the box. None of the other accessories were unwrapped. This tells me that either the Uniden vendors or the Uniden distributors are updating firmware prior to the sale of the units.

It is difficult to think that all three scanners from two different vendors purchased within the last month with two being produced earlier than the existence of firmware that this is not what is happening. This post is not meant as a complaint, but rather for informational purposes only. Other than the battery not put back in the wrapper on the SDS100, it was impossible to tell that any of the three units were opened up and removed from packaging and repackaged.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The battery may have been inspected, or replaced prior to shipping. Uniden had some batteries swelling, which can be dangerous being that they are Lithium batteries.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Last month I purchased a 2021 production year SDS200 and yesterday received two SDS100 units. The SDS200 had the most recent June 2022 firmware loaded. The SDS200 came from Texas and both SDS100s came from Scanner Master. One of the SDS100s was produced in 2022, the other in 2021. Both units have current firmware from June 2022 out of the box. The 2021 year SDS100 had the battery out of the wrapping which was laid in the box. None of the other accessories were unwrapped. This tells me that either the Uniden vendors or the Uniden distributors are updating firmware prior to the sale of the units.

It is difficult to think that all three scanners from two different vendors purchased within the last month with two being produced earlier than the existence of firmware that this is not what is happening. This post is not meant as a complaint, but rather for informational purposes only. Other than the battery not put back in the wrapper on the SDS100, it was impossible to tell that any of the three units were opened up and removed from packaging and repackaged.
You seem to be really hung up on "manufacturing dates" for some odd reason. Looking back through your postings, it occurred to me I've seen similar subject matter from you . In 2018, you were very unhappy with the SDS100's battery clip, and "happy you sold it". Fast forward to 2023, still the same battery clip, but for some strange reason, you believe a different manufacturing date will change the design.

Take the time to enjoy the scanner, learn it's programming structure, feature rich design and spend less time here with this odd fixation on manufacturing dates. My SDS100 is approaching the 5 year mark, but that doesn't matter to me. What really matters is I can program this scanner with my eyes closed in a dark room if need be. Get there, and stop worrying about non-essential things in regards to this scanner.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
You seem to be really hung up on "manufacturing dates" for some odd reason. Looking back through your postings, it occurred to me I've seen similar subject matter from you . In 2018, you were very unhappy with the SDS100's battery clip, and "happy you sold it". Fast forward to 2023, still the same battery clip, but for some strange reason, you believe a different manufacturing date will change the design.

Take the time to enjoy the scanner, learn it's programming structure, feature rich design and spend less time here with this odd fixation on manufacturing dates. My SDS100 is approaching the 5 year mark, but that doesn't matter to me. What really matters is I can program this scanner with my eyes closed in a dark room if need be. Get there, and stop worrying about non-essential things in regards to this scanner.
You must have a lot of time on your hands if you have time to read back through 5 year old posts. Why not just read what I put here for informational purposes and move on?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
You must have a lot of time on your hands if you have time to read back through 5 year old posts. Why not just read what I put here for informational purposes and move on?
I had no choice but to read it, but thought "hey, this subject looks familiar with this guy". Hence the research, and the comment. Move on...learn and enjoy the scanner, no distributor is trying to pull a fast one on you. The shipping companies must love you with all the scanners you've sent back over the years because you wanted a "current manufactured model".

I hope no one posts just they just received a scanner from Scanner Master that has a 2023 manufacture date, ohhhh man, hello UPS :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Ubbe

This tells me that either the Uniden vendors or the Uniden distributors are updating firmware prior to the sale of the units.

They never open up a box, take out a scanner and updates it and put it back in the box, waiting for a new buyer. They can do that if its already sold and they update it with DMR/NXDN/ProVoice prior to being shipped. The 2021 model has to be a return from a customer. I believe the antenna are in a plastic slip so it doesn't need to be opened and it will be impossible to tell if it has been used. If a customer returns a scanner then a seller doesn't want to make a lesser profit on it by reducing its sell price and doesn't want to inform you that it is a returned unit. They hope it will be too much hassle and extra cost for you to ship it back to be replaced by an unused scanner.

Batteries are not glued or screwed together and are only press fit and secured by electrical tape. It is done to allow the battery to swell and I also think that the battery clip are deliberately made weak to work as a safety device or the battery would build up a high gas pressure and then it could be really dangerous if someone have replaced the original clip with a much stronger third party one, and Uniden could claim that the scanner has been modified to defeat its safety features.

/Ubbe