My Own Personal EOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyGalaga

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
bobbybeachbum said:
Johnny, As Columbo used to say "Just one more thing..."
What camera do you use ? Your pix are excellent.
Thanks, although I was a little dissapointed with the dark photos. It seems like every time I try to do a backlight photo in the dark, it always ALWAYS comes out blurry, no matter howmuch I screw around with the focus, the settings, and all that other crap.

Anyway, here it is: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/s85.html

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
Just when I think I know enough about scanning and monitoring different systems, somebody just HAS to go and make a huge post of their giantly intricute shacks, and gets me staying up way past my bedtime reading about more crap I could buy. Now you've got me interested in APRS again, and in whatever the heck that system activity monitor you have going. AWESOME!!!

W8OSP

yeah i got UI-View32 also, still tryin to figure it out. I got myself listed on the map but still tryin to figure it out. Im just now getting started in aprs. Ive got 2 TH-D7A/G and a TM-D700.

SLWilson

Photo Siza

JohnnyGalaga said:
Use a free image hosting site like image shack, which is what I used. Here's a listing you can choose from: http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-image-hosting.php?sort=3

PHOTO SIZES?
No, my actual question is, when the website LIMITS photo attachments to a certain size, how are getting around it? I have couple of programs that will resize things for me just fine, but, again, when I'm posting or attaching here, the SITE won't let me put anything like what you've posted as far as the SIZE of your pictures!!!!

What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Thanks, Steve

K9GTJ

SLWilson said:
No, my actual question is, when the website LIMITS photo attachments to a certain size, how are getting around it? I have couple of programs that will resize things for me just fine, but, again, when I'm posting or attaching here, the SITE won't let me put anything like what you've posted as far as the SIZE of your pictures!!!!

Thanks, Steve

Steve - the size limit is to attached photos. Instead, the OP is using ImageShack to host the photos at the larger size and then using the image tag to inline them in his post.

bobbybeachbum

JohnnyGalaga said:
Thanks, although I was a little dissapointed with the dark photos. It seems like every time I try to do a backlight photo in the dark, it always ALWAYS comes out blurry, no matter howmuch I screw around with the focus, the settings, and all that other crap.

\

Yes, that's a nice camera:) . I assume you're using a tripod?

JohnnyGalaga

Banned
bobbybeachbum said:
\

Yes, that's a nice camera:) . I assume you're using a tripod?
Nope, no tripod. I simply snapped the shots while standing up with the camera in my 2 barehands.

SLWilson said:
JohnnyGalaga said:
Use a free image hosting site like image shack, which is what I used. Here's a listing you can choose from: http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-image-hosting.php?sort=3

PHOTO SIZES?

Thanks, Steve
Don't use RadioReference's attachment feature PERIOD. Upload your images directly to ImageShack instead. After it uploads, hover your mouse pointer over the thumbnail (or the full-size image if you prefer), right click, and choose Properties. Then find the URL (a.k.a. the web address) for the image you just uploaded. The URL should end in something like .jpg, .png, or .gif, depending on the type of image file you uploaded. Copy and paste that URL into your RadioReference post text box and surround the URL with
at the end of the URL. Here is an example:

{img}www.whatever.net.jpg{/img}

only use brackets [ ] instead of { }.

kc0jar said:
Just when I think I know enough about scanning and monitoring different systems, somebody just HAS to go and make a huge post of their giantly intricute shacks, and gets me staying up way past my bedtime reading about more crap I could buy. Now you've got me interested in APRS again, and in whatever the heck that system activity monitor you have going. AWESOME!!!
But don't limit yourself to just Trunker/Windows Trunker. Looking at it from the big picture, the real goal isn't only to get trunker working. The real goal is get yourself set up with a good discriminator tap mod on a scanner. :p:D:lol: Once you have trunker set up and working, the exact same discriminator-tapped scanner setup can be used to run a number of other decoding freeware programs like Treport and UniTrunker, respectively:

treportscreenshotru4.png

unitrunkerscreenshotul4.png

Anyone who is into trunking and hasn't done a discriminator tap mod on a scanner is missing out on a MAJOR part of the hobby. It surprises me how many scannists haven't heard of Trunker before.

trafficdan said:
Hobbie vs Obsession? You be the judge!

Nice shack. I can't get the darn program to download.
Which program are you trying to download?

W8OSP said:
yeah i got UI-View32 also, still tryin to figure it out. I got myself listed on the map but still tryin to figure it out. Im just now getting started in aprs. Ive got 2 TH-D7A/G and a TM-D700.
Indeed, when it comes to just about ANY radio software program, it takes a LOT of time to setup the hardware, troubleshoot the software, and learn all the features to really get it working the way you want. Pretty much any radio-related software I've messed with never NEVER worked on the first try. Many times I've had to take a step back and learn basic things like DOS commands, making a boot disk, serial port IRQ conflicts, and all kinds of other crap just to get a program to work.

I remember when I first tried to get trunker working, it took me about 2 weeks just to figure out that the COM port was turned off in the BIOS settings.:evil::evil::evil::evil:

kb2unk

Very Nice Radio Shack! Nice collection of radios and the computer monitors with the software running looks very impressive!

bobbybeachbum

JohnnyGalaga said:
Nope, no tripod. I simply snapped the shots while standing up with the camera in my 2 barehands.

SLWilson said:
Johnny, try a tripod w/ the camera's timer delay to allow time to get your finger off the trigger before the shutter opens. It may (or may not) sharpen up those gorgeous night shots.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
JohnnyGalaga said:

Its not a focus issue its a issue of holding the camera steady. I'd highly suggest using a tripod. For those kinds of pictures the camera sets the shutter speed really slow to account for the low light and no flash. But when using slow shutter speeds movement can easily blur the pictures. So either hold yourself really steady or use a tripod for the best results.

JohnnyGalaga

Banned
landonjensen said:
Hi

I was looking at your shack, what radio is that next to the phone book behind the biggest ambulance. It is in the 4th photo.
It's an M-PA hamflash on VHF. Normally M-PA's are commercial or public safety-use radios, but some genious out there somewhere figured out how to take an M-PA and reset it's features ( I guess they call that "flashing", hence the name hamflash ) so that it is hand programable and works on 2m ham frequencies.

That way, you get a commercial-quality radio to use on the ham bands. I bought it on eBay a coupla years ago, and it has superior transmit/receive/audio/ruggedness/selectivity and so on compared to our usual hammy HT's.

Last edited:

brandon

Database Admin
Cool trunker setup. You've certainly got it all pimped out with the Radio ID's :)

Status
Not open for further replies.