BCD325P2/BCD996P2: My P2 and ARC XT fighting, not talking to eachother

Status
Not open for further replies.

caphab1

Hello all.

Just bought a P2 scanner and went to try and program today with no joy. I am using ARC XT Basic Version 2.1 Build 5, a GigaWare USB to Serial Cable. I on the Serial end, I have a GigaWare null modem, and then a GigaWare gender change on the end of that. I have removed the null modem and left the gender changer on still no joy. ARC XT tells me "No "Type Scanner" Detected. Check scanner power is on and connected" or something similar with no joy. I have reinstalled the Drivers as well. I am stumped and just wanna enjoy my newest addition.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!
Thanks

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello all.

Just bought a P2 scanner and went to try and program today with no joy. I am using ARC XT Basic Version 2.1 Build 5, a GigaWare USB to Serial Cable. I on the Serial end, I have a GigaWare null modem, and then a GigaWare gender change on the end of that. I have removed the null modem and left the gender changer on still no joy. ARC XT tells me "No "Type Scanner" Detected. Check scanner power is on and connected" or something similar with no joy. I have reinstalled the Drivers as well. I am stumped and just wanna enjoy my newest addition.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!
Thanks
You don't need the USB->Serial adapter for the 996P2.

Use the USB Mini cable that came with the scanner to program it. Be sure to install the serial adapter on your pc, then the scanner should be recognized by your software when connected. The link for the serial driver can be found on this page: BCD996P2 < UnidenMan4 < TWiki
Direct link here

Side note: Amazon insists on continuing to list the USB-1 cable, used on the XT series and other older units, in their recommendations of 'items purchased with' for the various Home Patrol series scanners: HP-1/HP-2: BCDx36HP, and the P2 series (996P2 & 325P2). That is not needed at all for the newer units.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Also make sure you have the latest firmware for the 996P2, there was an issue with earlier editions and newer versions of ARC-XT.

caphab1

Thanks the inputs gents! It works now! Might help if you use the right cable. Ha. I was using serial on rear instead of the front panel port which never worked on my 996XT. I enjoy the Mini port instead of the old proprietary cable.. that thing was frustrating.

Thanks!

Admin may close/delete.

Status
Not open for further replies.