My Pro-2055 and My Local Radio Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCRailPhotog

I just had to laugh today when I went in to the RS store that I get alot of parts and stuff from thats just 3 blocks from my house. lets go back to yesterday..

I went out to take some photos (I photograph Trains), I got in the truck which is where I have my Pro-2055 Mounted (and yes, I do have a Permit from the State of MN to carry a scanner in my vehicle), Open the case where its hidden, Turned it on and WHAM... No Display... I had finally been hit by the dreaded 2055 display issue.

I have known about this issue, sadly, not before I purchased it about a Year and a half ago or so. It's worked fine this whole time, has been thru one MN Winter, and Two Mn Summers now and has worked just awesome.

Now, being the kind of guy I am, I did some reading last night on this forum and searched the web for cures to this (Which I did find the fix about cutting the ribbon cable), and just found it funny as to how many people have had this issue and the results of thier dealings with RS. So, being the fact, I know the type of people my RS hires... Not very Smart, They are just bodies to take money from those whom dont have a clue and think that these store employee's are actually trained in the products that they sell.

I go into the store, walk up to the counter and ask the guy standing there if RS has implimented any sort of replacement or repair policy with The Pro-2055 radio and its display issues. I know that RS has not formally done anything about this, but, Im taking a chance of this guy holding up to my expectations of incompitency and just handing me a new 2055 to replace my now broken radio.

Mind you, there are other customers in the store and one other employee helping a woman with cell phones about 10 feet from the counter. So he says, "That radio doesnt have a Display", I say, Yes, Yes it does, The Pro-2055 has a Display on the front of the unit that shows the Freq info and other info as well, Its an LCD with a Orange Backlite and Now the display has stopped working.

Now the other employee hears my problem and doesnt even say excuse me to the woman and her cell phone needs, but now walks over to the counter and procedes to inform me that of course it doesnt work, everything is digital now and that radio does not receive digital and I need to buy one of the new Digital HD ready radios. I looked at him and said, Im talking about a scanning radio, the Pro-2055. He says Yeah, You need to get a New Digital. Now the woman is looking at him like what the hell, you were helping me, The guy over by the HD TV's is now looking at the counter.

OK, DING DING DING.... We got one at the Top of the Food Chain here... I said, the Radio receives 2 way broadcast just fine, I can hear everything (not in my head either) I have programmed into it just fine, My issue is that the LCD Dispay has stopped working, Not the Radio itself. Again, He says I have to get a Digital Radio. I really didnt think I was going to get anywhere, but, now, this is getting just to be Fun.

I looked around and noticed that the scanners were on display just to my side, I moved over to the radios and said, so your telling me that the Pro-2055 doesnt work anymore because its not a Digital HD ready radio, he says No, It wont work anymore. I point to the 2055 sitting on the shelf and ask him why then are you still selling a radio that will not work? He did not answer me, but then told me that I could send the radio into thier repair center and they will look at it. I ask, So how much is this going to cost me then? He says, since it doesnt work with Digital anymore, it would be about $200 dollars to repair it. The guy looking at the HD TV's just walked out the door.

So your telling me, If I send it to them to repair it, it will cost me $200 dollars to fix a radio I paid $149.00 dollars for on sale? Yeah he says, Or you can just buy one of the New Digital HD ready radios. As I started back towards the counter, I said, well, thanks for all your expertise and I headed for the door. The woman wanting a cell phone turned and followed me out the door.

I didnt know that the Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroad had upgraded to new Digital HD radio equipment... does that come with Surround Sound as well?.

I just wanted to share that with you folks... I know some of you must appriciate the humor in this as much as I do. I really didnt expect to leave with a new radio in hand, but figured it was worth the effort that maybe, just maybe the Idiot behind the counter would not have a clue and since RS has turned a cold shoulder on an issue that they really should be standing behind I figured it was worth a shot.

Robert

peterjmag

Robert,
As I was rading your post I couldn't help but hear the clown music in the background as you were describing this circus like atmosphere. Radio Shack blows! Nothing more and nothing less. Thanks for sharing...LOL

P.J. Maguire

TCRailPhotog

I had all I could do to not just start laughing when he said Digital HD... where is this dude getting his info for god sake.

Little while ago I was sitting here thinking about the fact that so many have had the same issue with these displays, why someone hasnt started a Class Action lawsuit againest RS, I mean, I have been one of the lucky ones to have had mine run as long as it did without a porblem, but alot I have read about just fell out of warrenty coverage.

Robert

peterjmag

Thanks for the warning. I have had no problem with mine date code 11/06. I am still thinking about selling it as well as the 97 and just upgrading to the newer GRE PSRs that will repalce them. Hopfully these new GRE PSRs won't have any of these issues.

P.J.

TCRailPhotog

I actually forgot to relook at the date code when I was doing the first post, but seeing you mention it... I have date code 01A06, I wanna say I got it in March or April of 2006.

Robert

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
You forgot the most important part.....

Did he try to sell you a cell phone?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I think you should send that detailed information to the Radio Shack district manager and see if he can take care of your situation.

CharlesDom

I feel your pain TCRailPhotog. The Radio Shack five minutes from my house use to be great. Now they really suck. The employees don't know anything about their products, and they're lazy, including the manager. I could tell you about a problem I had too but I don't want to hijack your thread. I now have to go to the one that's about 15 minutes away to deal with competent people.

BuiltonAsus

Our store is really hit or miss as well. But honestly, most of the employees are college kids who don't care what you bring in, as long as they might make a sale. Once they realize they aren't going to sell anything, you're just taking up their time. I had only one person from 3 local stores actually know anything about trunking scanners, let alone digital capabilities.

TCRailPhotog

Yeah, they are not the same Radio Shacks of Old... I remember being able to go into any store and could get answers. Now, I dont even bother, half the time when I go in for parts, I just walk right past them, walk right to where what I want is and get it and get out.

Another good example was when I went into get a 15' coiled guitar cable (42-2473), I could not find it or a peg for it, so I asked, "Oh, We dont have those"... I looked around a little more and sure enough, found it.. wasnt where I would have thought it would be, but I found it none the less...

Oh how I wish there was a Fry Electronics in MN.

Robert

rchalupajr

TCRailPhotog said:
Hehe, No, Just one of those Brand Spanking New Digital HD Radios...

No wonder RS isn't offering the new GRE's........ They have Digital HD models!! :D

tmfok7

Had a similar experience when I went in to buy my Pro-97! Trying to sell me a battery charger for it that I didn't need, since the batteries will charge in the radio! I finally convinced him that what I was getting was exactly what I needed and NOT what he said I needed!

You got questions
They got answers!

TCRailPhotog

It works Again :)

Well, Sorry it took so long to get back to this... But work had me so busy I was not able to get to the bench and try to make the repair.. but alas... I did... took me all of about 30 mins total from when I started to remove screws to putting screws back in and powering up...

It worked... I have a Display back again.

Have to wonder how long its going to be before I have to do this again and how much material on that ribbon cable I can cut off before I dont have enough to cut off to make it work anymore....

Anyway, It's working for now :)

Robert..

jml413

hehe oh man i really dont know what to say but sorry for you guys that are in areas that have brainless zombies in the stores. i personally work at radioshack been there for about 3 years and i have seen it all. i do know what you guys are talking about when you say radioshack has lost its old ways with really well trained people in the stores. i personally try as hard as i can to know everything i can about what i am talking about rather then come up with crap like digital hd. thats alot of the reason i am registered to sites like this. i couldnt help but laugh at that post about the guy saying it doesnt have a screen i dont know of a scanner we sell that doesnt. anyway if you guys ever have problem and cant get answers at your local radioshacks i can help you guys out with whatever i can just drop me the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.