My Pro 97 and GRE PSR 500 Shack Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

I've posted pics before where I had my RS 97 installed in my truck, however, After checking It was better that I had a permanent install hidden under the dash in there so I too my RS 2025 that was in the house and istalled it mobily (which is posted in here also) and then ordered me a GRE PSR 500, Scantenna and 75 feet of LMR 400 (Scantenna pics are here in this forum as well) and then took My 97 back out of the truck and am using it in the house for "LOCAL STUFF" and then I've got my GRE PSR 500 Set up to roam and scan the state Digital statewide local stuff but all digital that nothing else will recieve, In the other room I have an older Bearcat Uniden 147 that is used just for "LOCAL" analog stuff...So here are the latest pics of my 500 and 97 in action installed in my house, I just took my mobile stand mount that I had under the seat and installed it with screws in the house.. Here are the pics..Let me know what you all think....

Last edited:

Lakotawolf

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Mine came Bright orange... Yours are the first i ever seen green. They are green right or is it an illusion?

Astro25

It's probably orange. Look at the Pro-97 screen - they are natively orange, yet it appears to be greenish in effect from the camera. The PSR also shows about the same color...

intrepid97

Paragould huh? My Cousin from Pocahontas works at the Hospital In Paragould.

BTW I like your install :)

mancow

Database Admin
What type of coax is that? It looks like Andrew FSJ 1/4".

If so, I would suggest a cheap jumper of some RG-58 type. If you flex that stuff much at all you will end up with internal fractures of the center conductor since it's made of copper flashed aluminum.

btritch

mancow said:

If so, I would suggest a cheap jumper of some RG-58 type. If you flex that stuff much at all you will end up with internal fractures of the center conductor since it's made of copper flashed aluminum.

its lmr 400, i thought about an rg 58 jumper about a foot or two lng but how muchloss will there be with it?

KC0QNB

I was wondering how long that bnc connector will last with the LMR400 hanging off of it, just looks like a bad idea to me, I really don't think you will notice any loss if you use a jumper of something lighter, maybe even do what I am considering, making a "patch panel" of sorts and use some RG174 or RG58 for the interconnects, yes I know the more connectors you use the more loss you will have, but will it really matter for anything other than EME or other weak signal stuff?

If I am mistaken please educate me and the others, I know external antennas for GPS receivers use real small cable at 1500mHz, as do external antennas for cellphones at 800-900mHz.

For what it is worth I was in Paragould back in the seventies, my dad knew one of the manager types at the Monroe shock plant.
I can't recall the name right now, it was unusual as I recall, also hung out with a banker with the last name of Jackson and his family as I recall.

Last edited:

af5rn

mancow said:

Just as worrisome to me would be the stress it is putting on the male BNC on the radio itself. I've had problems in the past with them coming loose and disconnected from handhelds because of stress. And no, I don't pick up my radios by the duck. :lol:

btritch

The alarm bell is my alarm clock, sounds like an old fashioned school bell.. I love it..

So, Should I use a RG 58 jumper to relieve stress or what does one recommend>
?

af5rn

I think I would. I mean, it may not matter. Some radios take a beating and never budge. But if your luck is like mine, just a few months of changing between the duck and the coax will break that connector loose, so anything you can do to reduce stress on the connector is a good thing. There should be no significant or notable loss from adding the jumper.

mancow

Database Admin
A short jumper won't induce any noticable loss. They use them inside cellular and other professonal setups for similar reasons.

af5rn

Exactly. Although I am always a wee bit hesitant to say that it absolutely will not induce loss. Just as soon as I say that, then they try it with a defective jumper and call me a liar when they can't hear anything. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.