My PSR 500, fell! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stavro35

My poor GRE PSR 500 my primary scanner, fell out of it's carrying case as I was getting out of the passenger seat of a car Wednesday afternoon. VERY minor damage on the front end near the bottom. I have a piece of electrical tape over the piece of plastic that partially split. I really looked it over. And there is no sign that anything internal is wrong. I am not really seeking advice or suggestions or anything. I just thought I'd share.

jim202

My poor GRE PSR 500 my primary scanner, fell out of it's carrying case as I was getting out of the passenger seat of a car Wednesday afternoon. VERY minor damage on the front end near the bottom. I have a piece of electrical tape over the piece of plastic that partially split. I really looked it over. And there is no sign that anything internal is wrong. I am not really seeking advice or suggestions or anything. I just thought I'd share.

And you would like us all to do what?

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
We use our electronic devices. They get dropped, the cases crack, the screens get scratched. My 396xt is missing all 6 screws.

Character.

If you want it perfect then leave it in the box. Why does everyone feel that cosmetic flaws detract from functionality?

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Go to harbor freight and get a plastic welder, open the scanner completely to gain access to the back of the crack and weld it. Then put it back together and use a little testors paint, preferrably airbrush to touch up the front. How bad is it (pic)? You may only need a new faceplate, maybe look ebay for a less damaged one?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 2.3.4; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1309251116) Presto/2.11.355 Version/12.10)

I cannot count the bounces my 500 has taken. (Four back shells, and six belt clips, so far.)

It works fine, for the most part.

I would suggest making a more permanent fix to the hole, with epoxy or a Plas-T-Pair type plastic.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

Doesn't surprise me. I have one, and it drives me crazy that the PSR-500 is so light and can barely stand on its own without falling over. But, the benefit is that since it's light as a feather with all of its plastic, it takes a lot to damage internals in it. You'd probably have to throw it on the cement with some force to really damage it.

I'm glad to hear your damage was just cosmetic.

mike

DickH

My original post was out of concern. I was fearful that I'd damaged the radio internally by the fall.

There is only one sure way to avoid dropping it again. Make a tether as shown below.

p999358453-4.jpg

p558317905-4.jpg

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Well-Made 500

Sometimes, it just helps to get things off your chest & share an experience with others who own similar equipment.

I too have experienced many drops with my 500. What concerns me at this point in time is when I drop the radio, particularly with the RS telescopic scanner antenna (straight) which does not flex. If it hits just right, I know that BNC will give way. Luckily, someone recently shared a location where these radios can be repaired.

So, enjoy your radio. In my opinion, battle scars are part of the hobby. What drives me nuts is a scratched display window.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
This is the problem I've had with GRE scanners - too delicate. The slightest little drop and the case cracks open like an egg. My previous handheld was a BC250D. My god, that thing was a TANK! That is how a scanner should be built! I got a used PRO-96 after that and within a year it was broken. Meanwhile the age old Uniden BC250D still works. The only way I'd carry a GRE scanner now would be in a protective cover/case. I recommend getting one for your PSR-500 as soon as possible before it takes another spill and this time something inside breaks. Better to spend a few bucks now than to have a $500 paperweight later.

-AZ

Stavro35

I have a carrying case for it. The case was originally for my Radio shack Pro97 .. When I let it go after getting the 500, I found that the 500 fits just fine in the case. I would never in a million years trust a belt clip with a $500.00 radio!

Status
Not open for further replies.