My radio room, ongoing project

Status
Not open for further replies.

OZ_Redneck

Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
113
Location
Australia
The wires are a bit of a mess and I need to neaten it up but this is my radio room so far.

As you can see, I like old HF receivers and I have a few of them. I have few more radios coming in the next week or so. I'll post more pics when it's properly set up.




























 

W9WSS

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
672
Location
Westmont, DuPage County, IL USA
FDC FD-150 & FC-450 Handie Talkies

OZ_Redneck said:
The wires are a bit of a mess and I need to neaten it up but this is my radio room so far.

As you can see, I like old HF receivers and I have a few of them. I have few more radios coming in the next week or so. I'll post more pics when it's properly set up.



I see that you have a FDC model FD-450 handie-talkie on the far left of the above picture. I have the same radio, along with it's "little sister," the FD-150 VHF radio. These little gems are amazing, costing in the area of $50, they are totally keypad programmable, with optional software / computer interface for computer programming.

I take mine practically every where I go, with 99 channels, 4-5 watt output, and their small (but rugged) case, make them perfect for most places to monitor.

These radios are NOT FCC type-accepted, so they cannot be used on commercial frequencies, however, they are perfect for the ham radio operator (FCC type-accepting not required). Only downside on these gems is that there's NO alpha-tagging, the "scan" function captures an active channel, but resumes scanning after five seconds even on an active channel, and the keyboard cannot be used for DTMF (touch-tone dialing).

Each transceiver (whether UHF or VHF) comes with an extra heavy-duty rechargeable battery, antenna, battery charging cup, and 220 Volt wall-wart, so you'll have to go to Radio Shack, Wal Mart, or Target stores to get a 110 Volt charging device. They usually go for under $10. Colors are available in two "flavors," red and black. Accessories such as speaker-mics, programming cable, software, and other items are available seperately, but reasonably priced.

I am NOT a dealer, distributor, or incentive buyer, merely a ham operator that found a great deal. Where can you go for a brand-new VHF or UHF hand-held radio for $50 (plus shipping)? Even if you use it strictly for monitoring purposes, you can't go wrong.

Here's the website: http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~c_day/index.html

The vendor is in New Zealand. I've dealt with Chris Day (the distributor) and have found him responsive, and very helpful.

If you are interested in these units, I would suggest you stay away from eBAY and the FDC products shipped from Hong Kong. Chris Day, of Zales Amateur Radio Equipment Supplies in New Zealand will sell you a upgraded model with wider frequency spectrum, and a warranty which he stands behind. Delivery of my radio from Chris was less than a week. One small bit of info; You must have a valid FCC issued Amateur Radio license or Chris will not ship to you.
 
Last edited:

OZ_Redneck

Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
113
Location
Australia
Thanks for the info K9WSS, mine is one sold by a guy in NSW and he says it has been made to his specs. It includes the Aussie UHF CB band, in fact it covers 400-500mhz. I think it's a great little radio.

Im looking for a VHF version so i'll check out the link you posted.
 

OZ_Redneck

Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
113
Location
Australia
Chev_am said:
Nice buddha, and Ge handheld CB.


LOL @ you noticing the buddha :)



Quickcall said:
You have more comming in?! Sweet!

Yeah, i've become a bit obsessed and it's as more a collection for my own personal satisfaction than it is practical I guess. Like, I really dont need so many HF radios that all pick up the same frequency range but I find them pleasing to look at and each one has it's own character.

Im awaiting delivery of an Icom IC A20 Airband Transceiver, a Yaesu FT411 2 metre hand held, A Trident TRX200 wide band 100KhZ - 2149mhZ scanner and a Universal M-7000 Communications Decoder this week.

I think I need help for my addiction but I figure I could be doing worse things ;)
 

commscanaus

Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
509
Location
Melbourne VK
Ozredneck,

You can never have too many radio's!!

It's like a classic car collection- you can only drive one at a time- and they all behave differently! Take a look at the likes of Jay Leno- an amazing car/bike collector.

My addiction is collecting handheld's- scanners and two way radio's- with the number now fast approaching 40. Favourite brands being Motorola, Icom and Yaesu.

Love your CB sets- I still regret selling my Uniden Washington.

Those old Yaesu HF sets are built like a battleship look and the part- very millitary indeed!
Nice collection.


Commscanaus.
 

mcema699

Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2005
Messages
258
Shelving Supplier?

Ok, no one has asked so I will.

I did a quick search on the brand name on the shelves, can find only the off shore distributor.

Where did you get them?
 

OZ_Redneck

Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
113
Location
Australia
commscanaus said:
Ozredneck,

You can never have too many radio's!!

It's like a classic car collection- you can only drive one at a time- and they all behave differently! Take a look at the likes of Jay Leno- an amazing car/bike collector.

My addiction is collecting handheld's- scanners and two way radio's- with the number now fast approaching 40. Favourite brands being Motorola, Icom and Yaesu.

Love your CB sets- I still regret selling my Uniden Washington.

Those old Yaesu HF sets are built like a battleship look and the part- very millitary indeed!
Nice collection.


Commscanaus.

That's a great analogy about the classic cars, i'll tell my wife that one :)

The CB sets are the ones I wanted when I was a kid but couldnt afford, ebay is a wonderful thing :)

Your hand held collection sounds awesome, I think most of my future investments will be in hand held equipment as well, I like the versatility of it. You can take it anywhere without worrying too much about space, big antennas, wires etc.....







mcema699 said:
Ok, no one has asked so I will.

I did a quick search on the brand name on the shelves, can find only the off shore distributor.

Where did you get them?


I found them in a little Asian import store in Melbourne (Im in Australia), they cost me $12.95 each and seem to do the job I need them to do.
 

radio3353

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 25, 2003
Messages
1,369
Ah...a Realistic DX-160. That was my second shortwave radio. First was a Lafayette HA-226. Many, many years ago. Thanks for the memories.

Bob
 

red8

Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2004
Messages
654
Location
denham springs la.
Hey Oz,
That shortwave realistic receiver reminds me of the old Allied Radio
Knight Roamer radio kit that my dad built over 40 years ago. It was
nice radio too.
red8
 

W9WSS

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
672
Location
Westmont, DuPage County, IL USA
red8 said:
Hey Oz, That shortwave realistic receiver reminds me of the old Allied Radio
Knight Roamer radio kit that my dad built over 40 years ago. It was nice radio too. red8
It was actually a Knight-Kit Star Roamer if that's the model you're referring to. Built my first one, to get struck by lightning one week later. Actually, the wire dipole was hit right off the rain gutter of my parents' house when I was 14 years old. Took out everything on the circuit including the sump pump in the cellar right below my bedroom.
 
Last edited:

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Jan 21, 2005
Messages
2
Location
State Line
hey look at that , in the 1st pic you posted , is that the old PALOMAR 500 Mobile? (Very bottom right one) Don't see those kickin around to much.
 

OZ_Redneck

Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
113
Location
Australia
ScanDaBands said:
hey look at that , in the 1st pic you posted , is that the old PALOMAR 500 Mobile? (Very bottom right one) Don't see those kickin around to much.


No, I think what you looking at is a Pearce-Simpson Super Lion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top