My Recent Radio Shack Experience/Pro-94

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdancy

Having recently dusted off my old RS pro-94 scanner, I made a trip down to my local RS dealer to find out they do not sell the 9V AC power plug adapter for this scanner. Can you believe this? It's there scanner!!

The second part of this post is to also vent a bit. Similar to other threads I have recently read, my experience with the staff was a down right joke. There is zero expertize in these stores, not to mention how unprofessional they are! I remember the days (10 + years ago) when I could go into my local RS dealer, see all the radios behind the counter, and have a meaningful conversation with the sales person regarding the radio(s). Where did these days go? Sad but true, gone. Don’t get me wrong, I’m thankful for a local RS store, but you better have done your homework before going in to make a purchase. Ha.

On a side note, the Pro-106 is back on sale, only this time $70 off vs the $100 over Black Friday weekend. RS listing the sale through 12/10 - fyi!! I was so tempted to buy the dern thing, but managed to walk away! Ha. Something tells me between now and the 10th, I will have bought it!

Now off to Ebay to find a AC plug; what a joke! Ha.

OCO

Having recently dusted off my old RS pro-94 scanner, I made a trip down to my local RS dealer to find out they do not sell the 9V AC power plug adapter for this scanner. Can you believe this? It's there scanner!!

The second part of this post is to also vent a bit. Similar to other threads I have recently read, my experience with the staff was a down right joke. There is zero expertize in these stores, not to mention how unprofessional they are! I remember the days (10 + years ago) when I could go into my local RS dealer, see all the radios behind the counter, and have a meaningful conversation with the sales person regarding the radio(s). Where did these days go? Sad but true, gone. Don’t get me wrong, I’m thankful for a local RS store, but you better have done your homework before going in to make a purchase. Ha.

On a side note, the Pro-106 is back on sale, only this time $70 off vs the $100 over Black Friday weekend. RS listing the sale through 12/10 - fyi!! I was so tempted to buy the dern thing, but managed to walk away! Ha. Something tells me between now and the 10th, I will have bought it!

Now off to Ebay to find a AC plug; what a joke! Ha.

You can power the PRO-94 using a Model: 273-314 9V, 300 mA AC adapter and a size H
Adaptaplug.

edkt4hr

pro 94

yes they do
you have to get the right end then get the wallwart for 9 volts
sounds like you had a real moron helping you
I work for them 1 fall the manger didn't know nothing about scanners or computers
all they know how to is push you stuff you don't need
did they try to sell you a cell phone

As Old CJDC mentioned he is correct also if you need something else for your Pro 94 here is a detailed parts list.

RadioShack PRO-94 1000-Channel Handheld Trunking Scanner 200-0524 Detailed Parts List

I understand your frustration. Radio Shack mostly now days is about cell phones. My father use to work for them in the late 70's to early eighties, I thought it was the coolest store for electronics and he made sure people understood what product they were buying and try to find the best deal for them.

Last edited:

sdancy

Thanks guys! I did take my scanner in so I could match the correct plug. Maybe adaptaplug 'H' was missing? Will make a trip back! EDKT4HR - Funny you ask; I was going to joke about the cell comment in my orginal post. That seems to be what they're all about!

OCO

I (almost) never make the trip to RS without finding what I need on the 'net first. I can't believe how obtuse their website can be on some things like these wall warts.. They're buried so deep you need a spelunker's helmet lamp to find 'em..

W2PMX

Just went to Radio (Cell [or is that Sell]) Shack yesterday to buy a wallwart. Also asked if they had a "Pro-18 police scanner". The cellphonedroid didn't know what I was talking about. I even gave him the catalog number, but he didn't look it up, he acted as if I had asked for a horse collar. Last time I was in the store was about 5 years ago, and they had at least one knowledgeable person working there. I guess she's in corporate now. Can't allow intelligent people to ruin RS's rep by working in the stores.

KR4BD

The Shack has really fallen on hard times. Yesterday, I went in to one near my home to get a new battery for my cellphone. The kid who helped (???) me said he never saw one like mine. He then said that they don't carry that type. I know they can order them, but he never offered, so I left. Got home and found about a Bazillion different places to get one on-line through Amazon for as low as $7. FYI, Batteries Plus HAD the battery, but it seems they want $37.99 for MOST CELL BATTERIES these days... I'm not that stupid, but I guess they sell lots of them at that price in this area.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
I know what you mean, I went into a record shop and asked for Mojo Nixon. They said "he don't work here"

Seriously, The Shack must be propped up with derivatives or something phoney to have survived this long. Batt Plus is a joke as far as price and knowledge. I should take my battery card from the 70's in there and see what happens.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER RADIO SHACK BASHING THREAD THAT HAS NOTHING TO HELP RADIO SHACK SCANNER USERS other that the original poster.. (All CAPS are intentional)

Last edited:
LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER RADIO SHACK BASHING THREAD THAT HAS NOTHING TO HELP RADIO SHACK SCANNER USERS other that the original poster.. (All CAPS are intentional)
Sorry not trying to bash RS employee's.

I understand there are still good employees that work for them. I know yourself and Erik work for them and do whatever you can to help them.

God Bless

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar

Hit dog hollers.

Has everything to do with it. OP went to the vendor, RadioSHAFT, who sold the Pro-94 to buy a simple AC adapter, an item they stock (though it is OVERPRICED like most of their Chinese made wall warts, same item online is around $7-10 versus 17.99 plus the "adaptaplug" tip)- despite this being easily available if the lazy employee were willing to SERVE HIS CUSTOMER and actually locate the product in the PLU lookup screen, and walk them over to it, then he wouldn't be on this forum talking about his negative experience.

What is said is true, Radio Shack aka THE SHAFT has become a wasteland of overpriced cellphone accessories. and even so, the average WalMart has the same Chinese made knockoff stuff for 60 percent less, and about the same level of help. Gone are the parts, specialty radios, and more so the staff who care. It isn't their fault, it's the corporate TURDS who have ruined a company that grew too fast riding the cellphone explosion of the 2000's. The sacrificed their mainstay on a whim. How well's it working out for them? An "F" rating by the BBB?

That's what happens when you don't take care of your customers. They get irritated, get online, and tell the world- or worse, department of consumer affairs and regulators. I could bore you with my own Radio SHAFT story of trying to buy an advertised item at the stated sale price and then hit with a bait and switch upsell, a mandatory accessory purchase (which is ILLEGAL in my state)...but why? This company SUCKS.
Their reputation speaks for themselves.

They don't want to pay a fair wage to educated sales and support staff, they do what every other gangster capitalist does: outsource, and pay minimum wage to everyone else. Encourage cooking of the books (want to talk about Fix1500 anyone?), allow their own managers and employees to conduct inventories (yeah, nothing like fudging the numbers eh?) and operate in a general atmosphere of get over one someone else before they do you. Are there a handful of HONEST store managers? Yes, most of them either find other jobs at better companies or get fired for refusing to go along with the FRAUD that is their corporate culture.

Radio Shack can go out of business tomorrow and I wouldn't bat en eye. They are working overtime to ensure they will be another chapter in American retail history, right up there with PharMor. Hey Mickey Monus? you out of the big house yet? Maybe the Gooch wants to step down! I'm sure your parole officer would be proud of you returning to the workforce!

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Just to let you know if you buy a walwart they give you the tip you need aleast my local radioshack does and no I do not work for them. Mine knows the equipment they sell how to program it and offers service after the sale. If you are not happy with your local store call the local store in my town he has customers that drive 70 miles past other stores to come buy from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.