• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

My review of the rd-5r

Status
Not open for further replies.

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
Ok where do I start, as a starter of this dmr world, let me say it is a bit of a learning process, how to enter slots, uid, color codes, and tg aka and listening to a digital voice, and not analog, and the quality of this radio is a lot better then I expected.
The look and feel:
Well it is like any other uv family radio, as in cosmetics and feel, the antenna is better built then the normal baofeng antenna, (it is a radioditty rd-701 antenna), and the signal, is ok, at least no front end issues, (thank god, I live near major radios towers).
The display is nice but I wish it would be color changing if not on the led , but on the screen it is crisp, but the white leds are Diffrent then what I am used to, but it is a ok thing I guess.

The meat and potatoes of the setup and operation of the radio, it is simple if you know a dmr code plug, if not, do the homework , it will help, the basic is ok, but I myself, have a lot more to learn, and looking at the threads on here,

The operation of the radio, is good, I have a few dmr channels on here listening and comparing to my scanner, it is night and day, no static, and on a 40 watt system I can get good signal at 25 miles away,.

I do like the front panel programming, but I have yet learn how to save it, to the main scanning banks on it. Maybe some one knows how to,

I am still learning this thing out, but from what I can tell, it is awesome.

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
I heard about that, but mine does not have that issue at all I have about 600 channels loaded up and all by state or ham or police and fire and ems, and miscellaneous stuff, no issue at all

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
I did make my own code plug, I used an old one from a web site to use as an example to go by, and I get amr ambulance and it is encrypted I know but as a test on what I could do, then used the Nucor system and get them in the clear, and if and when I do some traveling I know how to enter them

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
*Update* sadly when I finally did the upgrade to the firmware my transmit audio is gone, so since this is a huge issue I am going to say if this a issue I will not be giving this a good mark

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
(in a robert stack voice) UPDATE, since the new firmware is not working it seems to be an analog issue with the rd-5r, now the new radio i have is doing the same thing with the beta, now i do have the digital side working and the older one is still having issues not keeping up with the dmr decoding, , now i know it is a beta but i will put in some input on this

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the review. I hope this radio does not inherit the issues present in the radio this is based on, the Radioddity GD-77.
https://forums.radioreference.com/b...356586-radioddity-gd-77-a-10.html#post2913445

I have had no trouble with the GD-77 and 3.1.1. One thing I do, which does take time, is to build every code plug from a clean database, including the talk groups and individual receive groups. I have 8 different radios, and it is not just the GD-77 that requires individual receive entries.

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
ok here we go, turns out they sent me another radio, this time the new update killed the analog side of the new and older radio, seems that radioditty has a big issue on there hand, and if they wont fix it soon, then we may need to have a pow wow with them to get this issue fixed, this will cost us and the sellers money!

mikew66

Premium Subscriber
I returned mine and bought an AnyTone D868UV. Very easy to program, great customer service, and I found a lot of code plugs for it for my area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

usswood

After some programming errors on my part, I LOVE my RD-5R!!! Strong transmit signal and great range for this little piece of equipment... I to had issues getting to digital side to transmit correct, but after a few tweaks of the setup, I couldn't be more happier with this model!

Vols970

Premium Subscriber
Could someone be some assistance to me on helping me program the rd 5r? I got the new software and it seems to have a virus or something. Each time i try to program it , the radio is harder to operate. Ive managed to get some freqs in but it will not scan. Any advice would be appreciated

usswood

Could someone be some assistance to me on helping me program the rd 5r? I got the new software and it seems to have a virus or something. Each time i try to program it , the radio is harder to operate. Ive managed to get some freqs in but it will not scan. Any advice would be appreciated

I could send you a code plug, but it is setup for Hoosier DMR and sites close to Indiana... Don't know how useful it would be for ur area?

kn4int

I could send you a code plug, but it is setup for Hoosier DMR and sites close to Indiana... Don't know how useful it would be for ur area?

I would be interested. The code plug I used for my TYT-380 came from Hoosier DMR, but I don't see a spot in the codeplug vault for a RD-5R plug

73 de KN4INT

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Is it possible to program, even if for receive only, frequencies between 500 & 512 MHz. I've looked at the CPS and it appears so, but I was wondering if someone could please try it on an actual radio.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.