• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

My Roof Top Antenna Farm

JustinWHT

@JustinWHT, just curious how many radios you have?
Back in the '70s a radio shop said my Chevy 4WD one-ton, eight-foot bed crew cab looked like a Russian gun boat.

SWBell IMTS VHF mobile phone
RCC VHF mobile phone
37 MHz low-band oil field radio
VHF 60 watt oil field radio
UHF Micor for four-channel repeater network
UHF Motorola HT220 Converta-Comm antenna
Twin Trucker side mirror CB antennas

My truck had dual-pitch torque converter with toggle switch labeled Launch and Cruse, and belt-driven supercharger.

PACNWDude

Nice to see someone with NMO mounts in the roof to be honest. My employer is getting scared of this, but then I have a fellow co-worker that needs more training on NMO hole drilling (also need some new bits that corporate says are "too expensive"), but doing it right is one of the arguments to have the right tools.

Glad to see that antenna farm spaced out a bit too, often see clusters of antennas (ARFF trucks) too close to one another, or AM aviation radio antenna right next to a similar band antenna for a much higher powered radio.

On my own rigs, I have always been limited to three antennas: AM/FM radio (stereo receiver), then VHF and UHF commercial band transceivers. But, once GPS caught on, and XM radio, and 800 MHz.....well, I try not to look like a whacker at least.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
I only have three antennas on my Honda Accord (a 4th and 5th) for occasional road trips. Once, with the complete set of antennas attached, a young gent at a service (let's just say 'gas' station) said 'What's all that stuff for? You talkin to aliens or something?'

My reply was "Yep. They're here you know. Had coffee with a couple of them this morning."

I'm wondering of all the RF in my life has baked my brain or something.

JustinWHT

What PACNWDude said:
Nice to see someone with NMO mounts in the roof to be honest. My employer is getting scared of this, but then I have a fellow co-worker that needs more training on NMO hole drilling (also need some new bits that corporate says are "too expensive") ...

First...construct your own hole saw.

Laird 3/4" diameter hole saws are price $75-$95, one outlet for $165.
Walmart set of 4 for $8.
Harbor Freight and Northern Tool set of 8 for $5.

However the 3/16" dia arbor bit is longer than the metal roof and inside roof liner space. If the arbor depth isn't adjustable here's a solution:

Take a 3/16" drill bit, tape strip of tape 1/4'" from tip, drill hole to depth of tape. This is your pilot hole.
Take 3/16" bolt longer that arbor bit, cut off threaded end, insert threadless bolt (cut to to length such that bolt extends only 1/4'" beyond hole saw blade), insert bolt into hole saw arbor.
Wrap tape around hole saw 1/4" from cutting blade.
Now you have a hole saw with arbor center bit that won't reach roof liner.
Drill hole 1/4" deep using threadless bolt as centering guide.
Gather your new tool and keep in plastic bag for next antenna mount hole.

Next plan you antenna placements, with expectation you'll want to add more antennas. [Guilty]

First separate antennas by wavelength used by 3/8 wavelength. My 2m whips have 28" separation from other antennas, my 70 cm antennas use 10"

Second for adequate ground planes, at least quarter wavelength from sides of roof, and front and rear of roof.
From the sides, and front and rear for 2m that's 19"; and for 70 cm that's 10"

I try not to look like a whacker at least.
Guilty

with the complete set of antennas attached, a young gent at a service (let's just say 'gas' station) said 'What's all that stuff for? You talkin to aliens or something?'
Gas station attendant asked if I was some sort of NASA rescue team.

Last edited: