My salute to tonsoffun and my 40' tilt-over tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetscanner

In reference to:
Tilt-Over Mast - The RadioReference Wiki

Mine is nowhere near as nice and clean like tonsoffuns, but its the same idea.

Long story short, my wisp service was degraded heavily from an unknown interference (confirmed by wisp). Only my transmission was affected (upload). WISP came out, ran a push-up mast at 40', and communication was quite better.

My tower was originally at 20', not concreted, just attached to a building. I knew 40-50' would require a stable mounting, and I liked the idea of being able to bring it down (we have hurricanes) so I discovered tonsoffuns article. I originally wanted to do 50', but boy thats a different story. I've built some towers before, and after 30', everything changes. Including my ability to get it up by myself.

Unfortunately I didnt have the luxury of welding equipment, a wench, pipe cutters, 20' mast sections, etc. I wanted to keep it under $100, it spilled over into about $180 after everything. (drill bits, "custom" 2.5" pipe joints, 10' masts, guy wire, etc. etc.)

If I did it all over again, it would be about $100. I have some parts, pipe etc, left over that I ended up NOT using.

That additional 10' feet (from 30') changes everything. When its 3 10' sections, its plum and sturdy, no need for guys. At 40', it bows a little, which you can see, but the guys keep it in order.

Here it is. Its not perfect, but it does the job and should withstand all weather (hurricanes aside).

Attachments

• tower1.jpg
    tower1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 3,039
  • tower2.jpg
    tower2.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 8,800
  • tower3.jpg
    tower3.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 2,786

mciupa

Nice work
fing02.gif

The photos are a nice compliment to Ron's wishes of others trying this project. :cool:

SAR923

Nice job. How is the base secured to the ground? Do you just have the one set of guy wires I can see in the picture or are there others? And, the most important question....when are you going to put a real radio antenna on that thing? :lol:

jetscanner

Nice job. How is the base secured to the ground? Do you just have the one set of guy wires I can see in the picture or are there others? And, the most important question....when are you going to put a real radio antenna on that thing? :lol:

2 10' poles, 4ft in ground (concreted). One set of guys at 28'.

I've had a j-pole, and some other antennas. Main objective was to get this one up. May add more in future.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Nice work
fing02.gif

The photos are a nice compliment to Ron's wishes of others trying this project. :cool:

Yes, nice work Jets!

I think their has been about eleven of these Tilt-Overs built from the RR wiki for their scanner antennas. Not even going to count how many Ham's contacted me for some extra details on it.

Thanks for the salute:cool:

Edit: Moved to the antenna and coax forum:D

captkel

I made one too, pretty much the same way Tonsoffun made his except I initially made mine 50’tall. For me, at that height with a couple of antennas on it, the mast bent at the bottom. I shortened it back to 40’ and got the bends out as best as possible. CAUTION…the added weight of antennas at the top CAN cause bending at the bottom. It is a little scary when I’m raising or lowering it, however it makes working on the antennas a breeze. I just received parts from ICE and will be installing Coaxial Lightning/ EMP Suppressors this weekend, but that’s another story…Thank You Tonsoffun once again.

jetscanner

Yeah, again, that additional 10' changed everything for me.

Note: i'm 6'4 300lb !!!

@ 40', it could be walked up but required two people. I tried it myself initially. At 45deg it gets a little scary. I MIGHT have been able to do it myself, but didnt want to run the risk of injuring myself and/or the equipment at top (which I dont own btw).

Also note, you have to SECURE the mast with the top bolt and would be tricky doing that AND holding the mast. I'm sure 2 '20 sections would have made it a bit easier. Regardless of the fairly strong joints, the 4 10' sections would bend, which just makes the walk-up even worse, especially at 45deg when physics takes over

@ 30', I was able to do it myself.

Last edited:

KG5SSO

What type and size (with) pipe do you use? Where is the best place to get it? My plan is to make it 30' and mount my tram 1481 17' 2m/70cm on it with a dipole center insulator made out of a pvc tee caped on top the tram. Does this all seem feasible?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I'm hoping to build something similar this spring once things warm up a little. I went to the Wiki to reference Rons build but none of the pictures work anymore. Hopefully this can be updated and fixed!

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
I'm hoping to build something similar this spring once things warm up a little. I went to the Wiki to reference Rons build but none of the pictures work anymore. Hopefully this can be updated and fixed!

Yes, photobucket shut down the 3rd party hosting so I need to transfer everything over. I also have to update the wiki lightning suppressor panel as well.

Hopefully get to it soon. Any questions on this just shoot away.

Status
Not open for further replies.