My Scanner is Scanning Backwards !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

k2ns

Hi all,

I finally got my BCD396T programmed up using the Uniden Software thanks to all the tips in my other posts. The Uniden software is harder to use than the free programs around, but I figure that they know what makes their scanners work properly, and I forced myself to learn and use theirs. Something interesting happened after I downloaded the software. Maybe it has something to do with my experimenting The quick key display is going backwards when scanning--Instead of going 1-2-3-4, its going 4-3-2-1. The only way I can fix it is by re-downloading the program into the scanner. Is there a keystroke to reverse the direction of the scan--If there is, I can't find it in the manual.

RON

Airdorn

Dude just take a few minutes and actually mess with the scanner and experiment with the knobs. It's amazing what you'll figure out when you give it more than 30 seconds and then giving up.

n2mdk

Every once in a while I like my scanner, scanning backwards, it's like watching water going down the drain in the Southern Hemisphere.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Had to post that in a thread with a meteorologist didn't you ;)

k2ns

Dude just take a few minutes and actually mess with the scanner and experiment with the knobs. It's amazing what you'll figure out when you give it more than 30 seconds and then giving up.

I spent MORE than a few minutes trying to figure this one out--in fact, I spent more than 2 hours, and didn't realize how it started to go backwards and how to correct it.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
So back to his good question, is this in the manual? Yeah, it's nice to twiddle with the knobs but for what you pay for this gear this kinda stuff should be documented.

af5rn

If I hadn't given up on UASD immediately, I'd still be trying to program my scanners. UASD is useless for anyone in a busy, urban area, or any area with more than one trunk system.

hntsgt

I guess I got used to the UASD program... I actually like it now for tweaking the program configurations. However, I use bcTool for the actual programming since you can import the info directly from RR. I then save the file & make my confirguration changes using the Uniden software. A bit convaluted but it works for me.

k2ns

Owner's Manual

Well, I had a light day at work today, and I read COMPLETELY through the owner's manual, and NOWHERE in the manual does it say how to change the direction of the scan. I learned quite a few things about the radio, and how to operate many functions. Now, I have to learn how to program in trunked systems.

I also have a new BCD996T. Are most of the programming and operation similar to the 396 ??? I haven't even unpacked that one yet.

I've been programming the 396 with the UASD software---It's not that bad once you get to understand and use it. Is the UASD software for the 996 similar ???

RON

Airdorn

If I hadn't given up on UASD immediately, I'd still be trying to program my scanners. UASD is useless for anyone in a busy, urban area, or any area with more than one trunk system.

Ignore af5rn. I'm sure she means well, but... :)

UASD works great for me anyway. It does exactly what its supposed to do, and it does it efficiently. It may not look as snazzy as some of the other packages, but it works very well for busy, urban areas with more than one trunked system.

milo09

Hey

I had to get on this forums and search to try and figure out how to get it to scan in the other direction. Sure, something simple for you smart people, but some of us scanner challenged people appreciate the help!

garys

Premium Subscriber
My scanner was doing the same thing, but all I heard was "I buried Paul. Turn me on dead man" over and over.

n4yek

Ignore af5rn. I'm sure she means well, but... :)

UASD works great for me anyway. It does exactly what its supposed to do, and it does it efficiently. It may not look as snazzy as some of the other packages, but it works very well for busy, urban areas with more than one trunked system.

I also find UASD to be a good program, it might not have features other programs have, but I like it a bunch and use it ALL the time. I have the other programs, so its not like I haven't tried them.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
In the manual, well kind of. You just have to expand what is said to more than the subject matter.
See pgs. 94 & 96 for this:
Turn the scroll control to change the search
direction. An arrow appears, showing the current
search direction.

soupbones

This is the best piece of advice I have seen on this site! Can we make this a sticky!!! If only people would have a go and try out things instead of giving up and coming here to ask questions that could be worked out with a bit of experimentation.

You deserve a medal my friend!! ;)

Viper43

This is the best piece of advice I have seen on this site! Can we make this a sticky!!! If only people would have a go and try out things instead of giving up and coming here to ask questions that could be worked out with a bit of experimentation.

You deserve a medal my friend!! ;)

Actually the best advice is to read the manual twice then a third time while using the scanner and trying things out.

V

milo09

You know what, to all you nasty people who cannot offer advice - I don't get it....isn't that one of the purposes of a forum? Let me tell you something, I have been asking questions but not until I have spent hours reading through all the information in the forums, researching it on the Internet, and experimenting and experimenting and experimenting until I finally give up in frustration. I was so happy when I found this thread as I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. Thank you to those who so freely offer their expert advice - you were all rookies once but you seemed to have forgotten that.

Status
Not open for further replies.